Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Recently bought a cheap fan controller off of eBay (this one) . It has two temperature probes. I'm thinking about leaving one in the case, and getting the other to measure CPU temps. Any ideas on how to get the CPU temps? Could I jam it in-between the heatsink and CPU?, or would that break it? Or should I tape it to one of the copper heatpipes (that would lower the temperature reading a bit from the actual CPU temp, right?)? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I do not think the benefit of having your temps displayed on the front of your case is worth the thermal impact of introducing another element in the transduction of heat from the CPU.

And It's just my opinion, but I think those knobs are going to look pretty stupid sticking out of the front of your case. that thing just screams "cheap".

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Temp probes aren't the most accurate way to test your temps anyways so I wouldn't do it. You can always download programs like hwmonitor to check your temps and those are pretty accurate.

• Rep+
Reactions: hli53194

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
What ever you do don't place the temp sensor between the heatsink and cpu as that will create a hugh gap between them and your temps will most likely skyrocket.
If your looking for more accurate temps then download software like hwmonitor, coretemp, speedfan, everest ultimate, all those will be much better at giving you accurate temps.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Use the temp probe to get the temp inside your case. Other than it is not a good idea. Get yourself RealTemp to see your CPU temps. Or download everest and use that (which is what I use). All my temps are displayed in my sidebar

• Rep+
Reactions: hli53194

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. I do have Everest Ultimate, but I'd like to be able to just glance down at the computer instead of opening another application during gaming, etc. Would taping one to a heatpipe on the HSF give roughly accurate temperature readings?

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Nope.. What windows do you have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyOverclocker View Post
And It's just my opinion, but I think those knobs are going to look pretty stupid sticking out of the front of your case. that thing just screams "cheap".
To be fair, there are similar fan-control panels that look quite awesome IMHO, this one for example, though it has 4 different temp probes, meant for CPU, Gfx, and 2 system temps, basically wherever you stick that flat lil probe-thingy. Therein lies the crux of the problem.

It's great everyone shared their personal choices in temp monitors, and thanks for those, but the original question posed by the OP was: where is best to stick the aforementioned flat lil probe-thingy for closest reading of actual temp? Regardless of how ugly/sexy the unit is, there's still a probe in need of a location. Some quick research shows not much info to be found, the unit I linked to has a laughable 'install guide' that focuses on setting the unit, nothing at all on placement of probes. There are even threads out there on the 'net from years ago telling folks to stick them under the CPU between the pins!

Best I can come up with would be trial-and-error, with various placements of the probe maybe against the side of the cpu die or base of the heatsink (NOT between them!), wherever it'll squeeze in close without causing trouble, used in conjunction with one or more of the taskbar/windows/whatever monitors mentioned to see how well they match up. While you're unlikely to get them to sync perfectly, some futzing should get things close enough for casual monitoring.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
Nope.. What windows do you have?
Currently XP x64, looking to get 7 soon.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The recommended method according to AMD and apply basically to all CPUs/HS.
It's a Socket A reference but still relevant for proper CPU thermal monitoring.
See page 13-15 for a how to mod a heat sink for an internal thermocouple installation.

AMD Thermal, Mechanical, and Chassis Cooling Design Guide

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies again. I ended up just jamming it in-between the fins of my heatsink. Apparently the temperatures read by the probe are slightly higher than the actual temperature, so this worked out perfectly.

P.S. You can't rep moderators?!?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts