Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the BIOS and most softwares like Everest, it only reads 38C under stress test on my Opty 165. However, in this "Core Temp" software, it reads around 10C more. Is it my motherboard sensor or is it the software that has the correct reading?

And AFAIK, Core Temp is reading my voltage wrong, I set it to 1.5V and it's saying 1.35V, unlike Everest which is reporting 1.47V.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
CoreTemp shows the default voltage I believe, don't worry about that.

From the little I understand, CoreTemp uses the temperature sensor inside the actual core of the CPU while the other ones use the ones on the motherboard :s

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosser13 View Post
CoreTemp shows the default voltage I believe, don't worry about that.

From the little I understand, CoreTemp uses the temperature sensor inside the actual core of the CPU while the other ones use the ones on the motherboard :s
So when I wanna check temperature, should I use Core Temp or Everest? I heard that my DFI Expert reports temperatures 10C lower than actual, is that true?

I remember my old 3500+ on A8N-SLI Deluxe with the 4-pipe AMD cooler has about 28C idle on 1.53V, similar to my 165 on 1.5V. Right now it's 38C after 18h48m of Orthos according to Everest, and nearly 50C in Core Temp. Which one should I trust? I remember Core Temp reports temps from the hottest part of the CPU but I don't think even other motherboards do that....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes CoreTemp uses the core temperatures of your CPU. It says my V is 1.3 but i'm at 1.46 stock lol. (I think it is
).

sometimes with some computers thoes apps will give wrong readings aswell. As far as I know core temp works well, along with everest. depending what everest you have you can get mroe than one temp from it =). I have the corporate so I get both cores and my heatspreader temp.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidious View Post
Yes CoreTemp uses the core temperatures of your CPU. It says my V is 1.3 but i'm at 1.46 stock lol. (I think it is
).

sometimes with some computers thoes apps will give wrong readings aswell. As far as I know core temp works well, along with everest. depending what everest you have you can get mroe than one temp from it =). I have the corporate so I get both cores and my heatspreader temp.
But which temp should I tell when asked?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'd Give the mobo's temp, its what most people report anyhow.

But At least YOU know your what its like on your CPU's die

I have to wonder though, if those readings are always accurate. I meanm I doubt there is an on die thermometer, so it must be estimated based on something else.
I'll have to read up on that one.

F.Y.I.... just want to mention that you should never use that on older chips like the duron, Tbirds ect, they dont have that die feature and will prolly give you a reading like 120d lol.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
1. The BIOS reflects aprox 80% of the full load temp.
2. @ Dfi-Street, there is a patch for the defunked MBM5 that makes it work correctly on most DFI 939 MB and assuredly the D, DR, SLI-DR and Expert.
I'm going to ask them if we can host that patch here, but for not you can get it there.

Sorry, I don't have a link for it ATM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts