Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen many people with the same processor and similar setups whose CPU temps are 10 C or even 20 C lower than mine. At the stock frequency, my idle temps are around 42 C and load are around 52 C. Overclocked to 3.8 GHz, my idle temps are around 52 C and load are around 69 C.

I've seen a video where a guy overclocks the same processor to 4.5 GHz and has lower temps than me, and he's on air too. I may have put a little bit too much thermal compound on the CPU die, but I don't think so.

These are all the components I have that would influence CPU temperature:

1) 790i SLI FTW EVGA Motherboard
2) QX6850 (stock is 3.0 GHz)
3) Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120mm (Newegg link)
4) Dynex silver thermal compound

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It's really dependent on the voltage you're using to attain the OC, and lemme say, the 6850 is a MONSTER for temps. THey probably also have better cooling, airflow in their case, and might even have colder ambient room temperatures. Give us the voltage you're using to get to 3.8 GHZ and I'm sure we will be able to tell better what's making it run so warm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inuyasha1771
View Post

It's really dependent on the voltage you're using to attain the OC, and lemme say, the 6850 is a MONSTER for temps. THey probably also have better cooling, airflow in their case, and might even have colder ambient room temperatures. Give us the voltage you're using to get to 3.8 GHZ and I'm sure we will be able to tell better what's making it run so warm.

My CPU core voltage is 1.48, none of the other voltages are above the green levels. I found that anything below that tended to make it unstable.
I'm pretty sure my case has good air circulation, here's the link to it on newegg. It has a large, 25 cm fan on the side and 3 other fans.
My room temperature is 20 C, not hot at all.

P.S.
I just redid the thermal paste, put less on there, but I still have about the same temperatures.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
get a different thermal paste like AS5, OCZ freeze or MX-2 and get a better cpu cooler the Big Typhoon cant handle the heat load of a OC quad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by redalert
View Post

get a different thermal paste like AS5, OCZ freeze or MX-2 and get a better cpu cooler the Big Typhoon cant handle the heat load of a OC quad

I'm pretty sure all silver thermal pastes are more or less identical.

Can you recommend a better cooler that would get me some decent temperatures?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamesguru
View Post

My CPU core voltage is 1.48, none of the other voltages are above the green levels. I found that anything below that tended to make it unstable.
I'm pretty sure my case has good air circulation, here's the link to it on newegg. It has a large, 25 cm fan on the side and 3 other fans.
My room temperature is 20 C, not hot at all.

P.S.
I just redid the thermal paste, put less on there, but I still have about the same temperatures.

1.48!? No wonder that thing is on fire. I have to agree with the above post, you'll want to upgrade your CPU cooler no doubt. I recommend either a Tuniq tower, or a Thermalright ultra-120. They handle quads really well, and will do so for a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inuyasha1771 View Post
1.48!? No wonder that thing is on fire. I have to agree with the above post, you'll want to upgrade your CPU cooler no doubt. I recommend either a Tuniq tower, or a Thermalright ultra-120. They handle quads really well, and will do so for a long time.
I dropped my voltage to 1.40 and the temps went down about 4 C. So, by now, I'm assuming that I need a better heatsink. A few more suggestions would be appreciated.

·
GTX 1080 Ti Club
1,783 Posts
Actually, thermal paste does make a difference. Different brand pretty much means different thermal paste. Not every brand puts all their effort into making a product. I believe Dynex is that brand you would get from Best Buy.. which I would say isn't too good. AS5 or OCZ could bring your temp down a few degree's.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamesguru View Post
I've seen many people with the same processor and similar setups whose CPU temps are 10 C or even 20 C lower than mine. At the stock frequency, my idle temps are around 42 C and load are around 52 C. Overclocked to 3.8 GHz, my idle temps are around 52 C and load are around 69 C.

I've seen a video where a guy overclocks the same processor to 4.5 GHz and has lower temps than me, and he's on air too. I may have put a little bit too much thermal compound on the CPU die, but I don't think so.

These are all the components I have that would influence CPU temperature:

1) 790i SLI FTW EVGA Motherboard
2) QX6850 (stock is 3.0 GHz)
3) Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120mm (Newegg link)
4) Dynex silver thermal compound

Thanks in advance.
I can recommend 4 things

1.Upgrade the fan on your heatsink
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185060
2.Get some AS5
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/37..._35_Grams.html
3.Lap Your Heatsink
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/28...pping_Kit.html
4.Clean Your Heatsink with Rubbing Alcohol And Remount

Also you can try to do a pencil mod on your board to lower your voltage thus lowing your temps
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=181677

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam1990 View Post
Actually, thermal paste does make a difference. Different brand pretty much means different thermal paste. Not every brand puts all their effort into making a product. I believe Dynex is that brand you would get from Best Buy.. which I would say isn't too good. AS5 or OCZ could bring your temp down a few degree's.
Look at this graph of idle temperatures with different thermal compounds:
http://xtreview.com/images/thermalpastechatcpu1.png
The range of temperatures from the worst to best thermal compound is 1.2 C. That is completely insignificant, and given the possibility of inconsistencies in the amount of thermal paste applied and the configuration of it, there is no discernible difference between any of the thermal compounds.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the horribly designed and poor thermal distribution of my heatsink. The configuration of the copper pipes seems to inhibit any efficient transmission of heat by introducing unnecessary lengths of copper pipes. The vendetta 2 is going to be my new heatsink; its more effective design seems to take the copper pipes straight to the aluminum, quite intelligent actually.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamesguru
View Post

Look at this graph of idle temperatures with different thermal compounds:
http://xtreview.com/images/thermalpastechatcpu1.png
The range of temperatures from the worst to best thermal compound is 1.2 C. That is completely insignificant, and given the possibility of inconsistencies in the amount of thermal paste applied and the configuration of it, there is no discernible difference between any of the thermal compounds.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the horribly designed and poor thermal distribution of my heatsink. The configuration of the copper pipes seems to inhibit any efficient transmission of heat by introducing unnecessary lengths of copper pipes. The vendetta 2 is going to be my new heatsink; its more effective design seems to take the copper pipes straight to the aluminum, quite intelligent actually.

its not the idle temps where you will see a difference between the thermal pastes but when there is a load which from the review shows almost 8 degree difference between the best and worst under full load. You will be happy with the vendetta 2

·
Banned
11,136 Posts
The case can have alot to do with the temp of the processor and the Video cards. I dont know what case your running but you would do well to buy a antec 900 and Xigmatek 1283 Cpu cooler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts