Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just bought my girlfriend pentium 4 520 and a msi 915p neo2 platinum. im using the stock heatsink/fan that came with it. the software that came with it, called core center, is trying to tell me that while im typing this with no other programs open, that my temp is 57 C. and its gone up to 65C when ive been web surfing. can this be accurate at all? i know these things are hot, but that sounds like its not safe. case temp it says is 40C. ive got 2 80mm antec fans in an antec mid tower case. any ideas would be welcome. (yes i know i can buy a new cooling unit, but i dont want to if i dont have to. im not overclocking her at all yet)

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SKAnk9915

ok, i just bought my girlfriend pentium 4 520 and a msi 915p neo2 platinum. im using the stock heatsink/fan that came with it. the software that came with it, called core center, is trying to tell me that while im typing this with no other programs open, that my temp is 57 C. and its gone up to 65C when ive been web surfing. can this be accurate at all? i know these things are hot, but that sounds like its not safe. case temp it says is 40C. ive got 2 80mm antec fans in an antec mid tower case. any ideas would be welcome. (yes i know i can buy a new cooling unit, but i dont want to if i dont have to. im not overclocking her at all yet)

It sounds a little high, you might want to reseat the HS with new thermal compound, AS5 if you have it.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
you would think that intel would give decent cooling with a decent cpu.
BUT,They give POS......

• Rep+
Reactions: SKAnk9915

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

you would think that intel would give decent cooling with a decent cpu.
BUT,They give POS......

uhh no.. maybe read a lil more?

alot of the aftermarket coolers can only come close to par with the stock 775 cooler..

use as5, it will solve ur problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good call on the as5. ive been puting together like 3 computers at the same time, so i thought i used it on this one. on second thought, i didnt. so definately gonna do that. also gonna check bios. duh. speaking of aftermarket cooling not being better, whats up with that? ive heard the same thing about 775 especially. guess ill just have to keep dreamin of prometia.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
i meant the stock thermal paste, or whatever they use... but i notice dell does an awesome job! they just aren't the best overall pc... unless u wanna pay 5000 for a fully charged gen5 (still not out...my point exactly). BTW i had my previous post say no with a lot of o's after 'but'.

skank,
gotta love the name

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gracias, i am a muchacho tho. dont get the wrong idea. haha, and im white, not mexican. got the as5 so im gonna try it now. keep your fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
i had the same problem dude

your heatsink might not be locked fully down

i used antec reference silver compound, lowered my temps by almost 10 C

take the mobo heatsink off and replace the compound on there too

also on the video card, unless it's on board

good luck

BTW, get a program like motherboard monitor 5 and set a temp alarm at like 67-68 C so your cpu doesnt get damaged, when i first changed to antec silver i didnt fully seat my heatsink and i used too much compound, temp him 67 C in 2 minutes of gaming, be careful

• Rep+
Reactions: SKAnk9915

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good call everyone, the as5 lowered from an average of close to 60C to about 46C. fan-frickin-tastic. at first when i put the as5 on, temps were actually higher. took off and reseated the heatsink and now its perfect. guess it wasnt seated right. anyone else think intel needs an easier to attatch heatsink? (not badmouthing its cooling ability, other 775 cooling solutions arent much better.) reps all around!

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
i agree man

i hate these new intel heatsinks, theyre good but the seating method is terrible

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SKAnk9915

gracias, i am a muchacho tho. dont get the wrong idea. haha, and im white, not mexican. got the as5 so im gonna try it now. keep your fingers crossed.

Why did it have to be mexican??? There's 36 spanish speaking countries..... Nobody asked for your race, and the way you state that "I'm white, not mexican" makes it seem like there's something wrong with being mexican.

It's a Nationality, they're people like everyone of us... Dont think I'm saying this because I'm mexican... I'm not, what you said just sounded disrespectfull...

BTW, Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hahaha, evil xp, you crack me up man. i by no means was intentionally offensive, and im the furthest thing from a racist, whatever that may be. if im ever really serious about anything ill let you know. as some would say "i only playin homey"

oh and can i just take the conveniently timed opportunity to say that people on this forum are ridiculously helpful, not to mention no one strikes me as the supposed social outkasts that most people would group computer geeks into. btw im a self proclaimed geek, so i dont wanna hear any whining about that comment. i love my computers, i love my cars, but first and foremost, i love my women. reps all around! hahaha j/k

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up... You know, we're reading here, so most likely I just took it the wrong way.

Cheers
glad to have you here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts