Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i am having some temperature issues with my overclocking. i am running my i7 920 processor @ 3600MHz and my temps are up too high 85-90C on full load with prime95. so i thought i would open the door on my cooler master cosmos case. it dropped my idle temps from 55C max to approx 45C. and my max load temps from 90C to 80C. there is a total of 5 case fans. 1 at the bottom pumping air IN 2 at the top pushing air OUT, 1 rear fan right next to the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu cooler pushing air OUT and i added an additional fan to cool down the hard drives.
i replaced 2 of the cooler master fans in the case. the one at the bottom pumping air in was replaced by a noctua nf-p12 (same fan as on the cpu cooler) and the one in the rear was replaced by a noctua nf-s12b flx. i used one of the cooler master fans for the hard drive fan.

did i make a mistake replacing the 2 case fans with noctua's? should i have left the original case fans from cooler master in? the reason i am asking that is because of the temp difference i saw when opening the case door. could it be that the fans are not performing as well as the original case fans? cfm's are higher on the noctua's compared to the cooler masters tho. maybe i should have used the nf-s12b for the bottom too. i think it is rated as a case fan whereas the nf-p12 is more for a cpu cooler.

also, noctua nh-u12p instructions mentioned to place a very small amount of thermal grease on the cpu. and that's what i did. i wonder if that could be the problem. some people also mentioned to reduce the voltages on my cpu. currently 1.25v for vcore & qpi/dram and 1.64 dram

an optional southbridge fan was included with my asus mb. it says it is for passive or water cooling. do i need it?

any help or insight would be appreciated. my next step is to either buy more nf-s12b fans and use them everywhere or reposition the cpu cooler. maybe i didn't put enough thermal grease. i'm open to suggestions at this point.

tia
ed

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Temperature drops with an open case or while on a workbench are standard.

A greater volume of air = lower temperatures. Your case may have a lot of fans, but it might also be a bit cramped. Upgrading the fans from lower CFM to higher CFM fans won't have any negative effect on temperatures either, so don't worry about that.

It sounds like you've got 1 intake and 3 outtake fans. The one suggestion I'd make is maybe reversing another one of those outtakes, so you can balance your airflow a bit more. Test out a few different configurations and see how things go.

·
Registered
575 Posts
One thing that will help with door-on temps if you haven't done it yet is some good cable management. Bundle any loose cables together with zip ties, twist ties, whatever and try to position them out of the way as possible. Something as small as that can yield surprisingly big drops for relatively little work.

·
Premium Member
5,345 Posts
I noticed this myself last night - my average temps are down 2-3c simply because I replaced my Corsair TX750 with a Modular Corsair HX620W - essentially, I went from a mess of spaghetti on the right side of the mobo to a few cables.

Are you sure your fans are situated properly? Front fans are pulling air in, and rear/top fans are moving air out? Sometimes too much positive or negative pressure can create pockets where air isn't moving much (if at all) and this can negatively effect your temps.

See #7 in the below link. It provides tons of other useful information as well.

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling...ered-here.html

Welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts