Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a friends rig of mine and since I had the cpu fan off anyway I figured I would put some AS5 on it instead of white grease. I did it the way I've always done it, just a little dot the size of a BB in the center but the temps are outragous! In the bios I'm getting 46C and everest home reports 60C during load. Is this something to be worried about or is that just how a stock cooler works? I'll give you the rest of his specs.

Athlon 64 2800 newcastle (1.5V) /w stock AMD cooler
MSI K8N NEO fsr
1GB ram
9800PRO

Also this is with the side panel off and not overclocked in any way. And I touched the base of the heatsink and it was barely warm, but the air blowing through the fins was warm also.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Ok, It is actually probably worse to have your side pannel off vs having a closed case and airflow through the case.. Because your Heatsink is recirculating the hot air in the area so it is using hot air to cool your CPU instead of cold air that would be flowing with the case shut. I would say close off the case and see what the temps are then.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

Ok, It is actually probably worse to have your side pannel off vs having a closed case and airflow through the case.. Because your Heatsink is recirculating the hot air in the area so it is using hot air to cool your CPU instead of cold air that would be flowing with the case shut. I would say close off the case and see what the temps are then.

It went up 2C from 60C to 62C

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

It went up 2C from 60C to 62C

Did you spread around the AS5 or leave it as a BB and stick on the HSF??

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Did you spread around the AS5 or leave it as a BB and stick on the HSF??

I left it as a BB and let the heatsink spread it. That' what I always do and it's getting me 23C on my sig rig at the moment. Also I took the heatsink off to check the AS5 and it has spread almost all the way around, and the suction between the CPU and heatsink was so strong it took me several minutes to get it off.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

I left it as a BB and let the heatsink spread it. That' what I always do and it's getting me 23C on my sig rig at the moment. Also I took the heatsink off to check the AS5 and it has spread almost all the way around, and the suction between the CPU and heatsink was so strong it took me several minutes to get it off.

Sounds like you know what you doing... Im just now guessing if that heatsink is adquate enough to cool the processor, since you have put AS5 on, reseated the HS/F and are getting record temps.. Did you try any other software than Everest Home? You should give the motherboard manufacture's software a try (being MSI) here and see if you get different readouts.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Sounds like you know what you doing... Im just now guessing if that heatsink is adquate enough to cool the processor, since you have put AS5 on, reseated the HS/F and are getting record temps.. Did you try any other software than Everest Home? You should give the motherboard manufacture's software a try (being MSI) here and see if you get different readouts.

Yeah I've been doing this for a while but this one really surprised me. I tried MSI's core center but I was getting the same stuff. Also in the bios it gets in the high 40's low 50's. Is this to be expected from a stock cooler? I think it did better with the thermal pad included.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone? Could you at least let me know if it's okay to just let it run in the low 60's.

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
Quote:

Anyone? Could you at least let me know if it's okay to just let it run in the low 60's.

Excuse my...(What the hell did he just ask?!)
expression...are you serious?!
:withstupi

You better update the bios on that thing or turn the fans around...then you might get some TECH
(60°C...is it alright...what is going on nowadays?!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
2 points I want to bring up.

Is the CPU 'sink getting fresh air? I mean, does it have a steady supply of cool air coming from outside the case? I found that no matter how good the fan on the sink is, it only works with the air it gets. The fan just pushes air through the fins and if that air cannot absorb more heat... well, you know...

The other is that I haven't had much success with the BB approach to AS5. I tried it like 3 times and over the course of a couple days the BB would never spread or the resulting spot would be way too thick. Then I tried spreading... (oh my god, say it ain't so!!!).
I put that same BB in the center of the CPU and kind of smeared it with the edge of a credit card. Then, and brace yourself for this one, I used a sandwich bag over my finger to pull and drag the AS5 VERY VERY slowly out to the edges of the CPU's heat spreader. Some ended up on the bag instead of the CPU. In the end I had an extremely smooth, thin layer on the processor, then seated my heatsink. Boom. 1 hour of Prime's torture test gives me 36*C. And this was with a heavily undervolted fan, mind you.

So I guess what I'm saying is just MAYBE there are more strategies than just the one and if your careful you can avoid a lot of the things people dislike about spreading, IMHO.

I'm just a n00b who's built only one friggin' rig. I could be DEAD WRONG.

I welcome criticism from those more experienced...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, i spread my as5 with a knife, you might want to try spreading it out instead of using a little blob.

Before you reseat though, try using another sensor to measure heat. Ive had motherboards before that were over 10 degrees off measuring cpu temperature.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeonic_Warrior

Yeah, i spread my as5 with a knife, you might want to try spreading it out instead of using a little blob.

Before you reseat though, try using another sensor to measure heat. Ive had motherboards before that were over 10 degrees off measuring cpu temperature.

LOL not sure a knife would be a good idea .Try speading it with an old credit card .Make sure it,s even and thin

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Seems to be a bios problem. I would try to reflash to a more current version.
On my last rig, my board reported temps 20c higher than what they actually were, I flashed and all was good. Most likely it isn't overheating, and it's just a bios querk.
Do a search online for that exact mobo and see if others have run into the same problem, or go over to an MSI forum and see if there is another solution. I bet it's the bios.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I know it's running the latest bios because that was one of the first things I tried. Right now it's back at my friends house so I can't really try anything right now. I'm just assuming it's a misreported temperature and ingoring it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts