Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I finally got a chance to test the TRUE I had laying around, I was gonna check the temps to see the difference with the Ac7 Pro.

However, with Coretemp 0.99.3 (have no internet on main rig so haven't tried 0.99.4) Core 1 reads as 17c and Core 2 reads as 30c. That's a pretty major difference.

Core 1 will vary from 15 to 19c, and Core 2 stays at 30c all the time. Ambient temp at that time was about 12c. Do I suddenly have a stuck sensor, or is it a bad mount or something? I really don't want to take the motherboard out again...

One more thing that I was curious about, while Core 1 was updating temps, some of the temps had a (?) next to it. For example it would sit at 16c, then 17c (?), 15c, 16c (?) etc. What does the questionmark mean?

And no I haven't tested load temp yet since I was eager to install Vista, which now won't install as well but that is another issue.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would not do any load testing until you get your temps figured out. Even if your true is unlapped that is too much of a temp differential. Try realtemp or something else to make sure of your temps before reseating the HSF, which you should do if you get temps like that on another program.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Realtemp, Coretemp and the bios all said the same thing. And Core 2 stays at 30c, it does not change temps.

And yes I know 12c is chilly, I don't have a heater upstairs so it's very chilly in the winter

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
My best guess is a broken sensor. Not unheard of but rare. If the first core is reporting properly, I would say go by those temps and maybe +5C to be sure. Getting the TRUE and/or the CPU lapped should decrease the difference between the two temperatures. Plenty of mods for the TRUE to further cool things down.

I wonder if putting it under load will "unstuck" that sensor. I hear that under 50C, the temperatures are less reliable anyways.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819
View Post

My best guess is a broken sensor. Not unheard of but rare. If the first core is reporting properly, I would say go by those temps and maybe +5C to be sure. Getting the TRUE and/or the CPU lapped should decrease the difference between the two temperatures. Plenty of mods for the TRUE to further cool things down.

I wonder if putting it under load will "unstuck" that sensor. I hear that under 50C, the temperatures are less reliable anyways.

Yes my guess is a stuck sensor too, but it remains a guess till I get Vista working on it. Thing is, it didn't have a stuck sensor in my other mobo though which is why I'm having my doubts.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so it's not a stuck sensor, here are the results:

Stock 3.0Ghz @ 1.15v.
Idle: 19/31c
Load: 36/44c
Roomtemp: 15c~

What do you guys think?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump...

Should I tighten the screws on my TRUE even more or is there a chance it will break?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would be very happy with a 44C load on air.

Especially since I run an i7, even with my lapped true i load at the 60s

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those temps are nice, i idle at around 19-22 and load 45-49 on my E8400, i wish i had a washer for the washermod though i feel like it's not as tight as it could be against my cpu

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
You could do a washer mod to help the get the pressure at it's highest rather than tightening it until you think it's going to break.

CrashnBurn is right about the temp sensors not being accurate below 50C. At the TjMax they are accurate, but the are so innacuratte below 50C that they can only really be relied on to say that "The temperature is below 50C"

Having one sensor that is still reading below 50C and is higher than the others can happen but it's kind of rare that the others don't show as high. Good example of this is that when my chip was under water and the rad was outside in the snow (-40F). I was running idle temps well below 0C, but realtemp/bios would say that I was around 17,17,12,14 no matter what I did. The temps will not drop further no matter what. On your core 2 it may just be that the lowest temp it will give off is 30C.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I just clocked it to 3.77Ghz, gonna test at what temps it loads now.

Edit: wow... just wow. The load temps at 3.77Ghz are 43/49 with 1.30v. I'm impressed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.