Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.What sort of temperature should a graphic card reach before you think about adding extra cooling?

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gazkilla

Just a quick question.What sort of temperature should a graphic card reach before you think about adding extra cooling?

The GFX can reach very high temps without a problem. To be on the safe side though, try and keep the temp around 70°C. The cooler the card the longer the life expectancy.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Some nVidia cards (like mine
) will throttle down (lower the clocks automaticly) if they get to hot. I need to get a new HS/F if I want to keep mine at my current OC... but I think I'm just gonna lower it and wait for my 6800GS.

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
My card normally idles in the high 50's and then gets up to about 70 when I game. I can go up to 400/496 before I run into heat-related problems. I might try to BIOS mod my card eventually (as in when I afford to blow $100 or more).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering my specs,what kinda oc do you think i should achieve?

I increased it gradually and testing with 3dmark06 and i got it up to 485Mhz & 1180Mhz.I started getting dots on screen so i lowered it down to 480 & 1160 (temp was staying at about 55-60c) which seemed quite stable but then i got the odd freeze on COD2.So i set the settings back to default(400&1000) and i'm still getting the odd freeze.
Have i messed my card up?It seems as if every1 else can get their 7800GT 256mb upto 480+ and 1200+

Cheers Gaz

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Considering my specs,what kinda oc do you think i should achieve?

I increased it gradually and testing with 3dmark06 and i got it up to 485Mhz & 1180Mhz.I started getting dots on screen so i lowered it down to 480 & 1160 (temp was staying at about 55-60c) which seemed quite stable but then i got the odd freeze on COD2.So i set the settings back to default(400&1000) and i'm still getting the odd freeze.
Have i messed my card up?It seems as if every1 else can get their 7800GT 256mb upto 480+ and 1200+

Cheers Gaz

You might have Delta Clock correction on which has been known to cause problems in 7800GTs. Dump your bios through ATITool and check it with nibitor to see what it's set at or zip it up and upload it here and I'll check it for you.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Cheers Ste, the Delta clock is set at 40

Gaz

Set that to 0 and reflash the bios, that should sort it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx Ste,i've reset the the value to 0,but do you know of any Nvidia bios flashing tools with instructions
as i'm quite new to this

Out of interest what did the 40 setting mean in the Delta Clock?

Cheers Gaz

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Here's a bios flashing guide for nvidia: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1633&page=3

The Delta Clock effectively raises the performance of the GPU by its setting ie. 40Mhz in your case. Great if it works, particularly on GTXs, but no so great if it causes shutdowns and problems. You can normally get back what you've lost as it's likely you can overclock further now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts