Overclock.net banner

Testing cpu stability on Linux.

1713 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Rituka
I've always tested for stability with windows first. For ram I definitely use stressapptest. I don't know what's best for the cpu. I'm thinking xmrig.

Other than glances, and s-tui, which tools do you recomend for overclocking on Linux?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· AMD Acolyte
1,722 Posts
Blender is quite good. It's highly parallelized, receives optimizations directly from the CPU manufacturers, and uses all of the latest instruction sets so it puts a good, heavy load on the CPU. Memory usage is also scalable depending on the scene you render

· Premium Member
5,120 Posts

· Linux > All
1,745 Posts
I'm curious why you don't stress test on Linux first. I don't fully understand why this is but I've always understood that Linux is more sensitive to bad overclocks. As such if you will find a fault it will pop there first. I've seen countless things over hte years around the net about stable OC on Windows bites it on Linux. Again I don't understand why that is.

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
Hey Tadaen
I think how overclocks run on Linux depend a great deal on what kernel one uses. I'm currently running 5.12.12 with CPU set as "Core 2, Xeon" and Governor set to "Performance" with realtime scheduling and low-latency and my air-cooled i5 OC'd mildly to 5.0 GHz runs like an SR-71. If it was much faster I could time travel ;)

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi ,
mprime is an excellent way to stress CPU and memory in linux. You can choose a type of torture test to run.

1 = Smallest FFTs (tests L1/L2 caches, high power/heat/CPU stress).

2 = Small FFTs (tests L1/L2/L3 caches, maximum power/heat/CPU stress).

3 = Large FFTs (stresses memory controller and RAM).

4 = Blend (tests all of the above).
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.