Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the [email protected]%% of it, yesterday I spent some time running benchmarks (3DMark03/Halo/Doom3) at different agp apt. size and found 32m give the best proforance, as apt. size increased proforance decreased a little. In the past when I got a card I usally set the apt. size half of the systems ram and never thought any thing about it.

Just wondering if anyone else has spent time to find out what apt.size their card and system operate best at.....yes I know I have to much time on my hands.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I don't think its a huge gain though is it? It's probably very minimal, and you should set it at a higher apeture, if you want to play Doom 3 at the Ultra Setting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not huge gains no, but I still get +2fps in games. Doom3 Ultra settings 2AA - 73.9fps, The gain is within the margin of error so I ran each bench 3 times to see if the marks are consistant, and their were. LOL I'll take any gains I can squeez out of my rig

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Interesting experiment, you should try and document it more thoroughly!

I have a theory on why it boosted performance with such a small aperture.

Games like doom3 and HL2 tend to eat ram alive...so less aperture means less system memory dedicated to the vid card. If you make your aperture too big, you loose more system memory, in turn dropping your FPS.

I'd like to see a table of results for this, interesting stuff!

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
I agree with Xavier1421 that you should've mad a bit more of a professional layout of your test and results. In future games you'll find that you'll start loosing performance having the lower apature as the RAM will constantly be being active and transfering data to save the space.

Good find and experiment though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys. When I wrote down my findings, I only put the very basic and general information to save space (and writing). I spent the greater part of the day testing and recording scores. I am fully aware of how aperture size is used, but this was the first time I actually tested to see what kind of a difference and effect it had on numbers and my systems setup. That's why I was some what puzzled when I clocked a higher score in Doom on Ultra settings with such a low apt. size, but the numbers are still higher.

I would love to see if someone were to run the same benches with a 128m card because i'm sure the results would not support what I found. These were the settings that I used:

Doom3 - 1280,1024/Ultra Quality/no vert.sync/in game 2AA/all in game effects turned on.
Start game, on main menu screen press and hold Ctrl Alt ~ then type "timedemo demo1" (no") (any score after first run)

Halo - click START/click RUN/type "CMD" (no") in command line type "cd c:\\program files\\microsoft games\\halo" (no") after command line switch type "halo.exe -timedemo -use2.0 -vidmode 1280,1024" (no"). Game most be in drive, all in game effects turned on. To find results - MyComputer\\C Drive\\ProgramFiles\\MicrosoftGames\\Halo\imedemo (notepad)

3DMark03 and 05 default

Thnx again guys for the replies and imput.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

128MB aperature size is optimum.

Just curious, but did you read any of the other posts?

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
no. because ive read hundreds of "what aperature size is optimal" posts\
eviews
and done my own tests, 99% agree that 128MB aperature size is best.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

no. because ive read hundreds of "what aperature size is optimal" posts\
eviews
and done my own tests, 99% agree that 128MB aperature size is best.

But he's saying better results with 32...

Need some proof from both of you

EDIT: ok thats completly fcuking random, in my first post spec and no sig, now sig and not spec

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
aperature size is dependant on game\\vc driver and pc memory latencies, but overall 128MB is what aperature should be set to. im too lazy to go hunting for the reviews and what not again

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I ran a similar test a while back and found that 64MB appeture worked best for me. Total system memory will probably play a part in this as well, those with 1GB+ of memory probably will see a lessened effect.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
if u take a closer look ull see 64MB and 128MB are equall, each doing slightly better in different areas, i just say (as do most others) 128MB as its a nice rounded figure, and in general 128MB helps out in the more intense senarios more than the 64MB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts