Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive started a new thread for our testing as the list is going to be quite big and run over quite a few weeks. We are going to get hold of as much tubing as we can so we can show the results of all tubing. Got to add im no expert in these matters and i defiantly not scientist ... These results below and just seeing what happens. please take them with a pinch of salt and make up you own conclusions.

tubing has arrived from http://www.specialtech.co.uk we only need a small amount of it to test pic below ill start testing tonight each colour and let you know how it goes.

I wont be commenting on my thoughts as such just showing you pics and information as my comments are invalid

Left is tygon the rest on the right is Primochill we will get other manufacturers tubing as well.

img2121jc.jpg

Test No 1 Tygon R3603

Start of testing preliminary results

+ Mayhems Ultra Pure water
+ Silver kill coil
Temp 40c (Not exposed to UV light)
TDS = 0.00
Conductivity = 0.005us

the mixer / Stirer will have no effect on these tests.

img2126zy.jpg

Test 1 run for 3 Hours Results

Comparison Photo. Left New Tygon , Right Tygon after 3 hours.

Water TDS = 03.0 (+3 since start of test in 3 Hrs)

img2129mn.jpg

Test No 2 Tygon R3603 (flask sanitised before test so no contamination moves across)

Mayhems Ultra Pure water Only
TDS = 0.00
Conductivity = 0.004us

tygontest2.jpg

Test 2 run for 3 Hours Results

Comparison Photo. Left New Tygon , Middle Test 1 Tygon (after wiping off plasticizer you can still see its cloudy) , Right Tygon Test 3 hours in ultra pure water.

Water TDS = 00.5 (+0.5 since start of test in 3 Hrs)

img2131.JPG

Test No 3 Tygon R3603

+ Mayhems X1 Clear Coolant (vegetable extract based + biocide + inhibitors)
TDS = 0.05
Conductivity = 0.03us

mayhemsx1.jpg

Test 3 run for 3 Hours & 5 Hours Results

Picture below 3 hours test show no signs of leaching how ever ramping up the Heat to 45 c and 5 hours showed the leaching. (single eyebrow raised moment)

img2141pe.jpg

TDS = 0.07 (after 3 hours) (40c) (thats the above pic) (the below pic is at 45c)

img2137fp.jpg

TDS = 0.1 (after 5 hours at 45c) what is interesting is not the time frame but the temp difference seem to induce the process of leaching. Because between 0-3 hours no leaching was present yet at 3-5 Hours with a 5c increase in temp you could actually see the leaching happing and the water turning slightly cloudy. Note TDS is rising do to exposure to CO2 emission not due to plasticizer.

Test No 4 Tygon R3603

+ Unreleased Product Ethylene Glycol based (Pretty close to what some coolants use except ours has a patented technology.)
Temp 40c (Not exposed to UV light) / then 45c
TDS = 0.03
Conductivity = 0.04us

img2143tf.jpg

Test 5 run for 3 Hours & 5 Hours Results

Below Tubing after 3 hours at 40c , TDS 0.06

img2152kg.jpg

Below Tubing at 5 hours 45c (this is 3 hours at 40c + 2 hours at 45c) Added note - the tubing has deformed a little when going to 45c. The information on Tygon web site say this tubing is rated at 60c .. TDS 0.08

img2154zt.jpg

This test is a 1 off to see what happened 8 Hours at 45c, The tubing has become extremely sticky to the touch. All so Noted That there is plasticizer stuck to the side of the glass in small amounts.

img21571.jpg

Plasticizer stuck to the base of the glass. This is the best pic i can get of it but its defiantly there. This was not seen in any other test so far.

img21601.jpg

Test No 5 Tygon R3603

+ Unreleased Product Propylene Glycol Based (used widely by many coolant makers)
TDS - 0.04
Temp 40c (Not exposed to UV light) / then 45c

img21621e.jpg

Test 5 run for 3 Hours & 5 Hours Results

Tubing after 3 Hours at 40c TDS 0.06

img21641.jpg

Again at 3 to 5 hours @45c the Tubing has leached like mad into the glass.

img21681.jpg

Test No 6 Tygon R3603

+ Mayhems Biocide Extreme (Copper Sulphate being the main ingredient) (awaiting stock as its all done at ware house, should arrive in a few days time)

img2215v.jpg

after 3 hours at 40c TDS not recoded

img22171y.jpg

after 2 hours at 45c TDS not recoded

img22181f.jpg

Test No 7 Tygon R3603

+ Halfords DI water (we need to make sure that our ultra pure isn't the cause of the issue so introducing Other makers DI gives good compassion to make these tests none bias) (need to buy some in)

TDS = 0.6

img2206j.jpg

3 Hours test at 40c, TDS 0.062

img2210r.jpg

After 3-5 Hour test at 45c , TDS 0.066

img2212bn.jpg

Test No 8 Tygon R3603

+Exposed directly to UV C light in a water chamber 100 watt light

Tested for 1 hour only (enough time to give a human sunburn badly)

img2147hi.jpg

Test 8, 1 hour Results

No change what so ever

img21561.jpg

Test No 9 Tygon R3603

+Mayhems Pastel Ice White
TDS - 0.04

*** Before we start this test we know we have had lots of trouble with primochill and Tygon tubing so we do not expect this to go well....

img21701.jpg

Better than expected at 40c for 3 hours - TDS 0.07

img21751.jpg

3 to 5 Hours at 45c TDS 0.1 Note : the white liquid has a slight tinge of brown to it now. it cannot be seen in photos how ever it is noticeable.

img21801.jpg

Conclusion for Tygon R3603

PDF for Tygon R-3603 -

FT-Tygon-R3603.pdf 220k .pdf file

There is a noticeable difference when the temp goes from 40c to 45c.

So far not one single product added to the tests shows any difference if that be premix or additive. The tubing seems to be the problem and the fact that if we go from above 40c+ we see it happening a lot faster.

These tests do not prove much except that at a certain temp over a short period of time it easily clouds and start the leaching process. How ever we need to run the same tests on other tubing to see if there is any tubing out there that can do a better job or is it all the same !!!!

Testing complete on Tygon R3603

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT

Were starting off with the clear version off this tubing Picture of tubing before we start testing. This tubing was supplied by http://www.specialtech.co.uk who can confirm its real.

img21821.jpg

Test 1 Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT

+ Silver Kill coil (stamped fine silver verified 99.999 Silver)
TDS = 0.00
Conductivity = 0.005us
3 Hours at 40c , 2 extra hours at 45c

img21841.jpg

3 Hours @40c TDS = 0.04 (seems to be more tacky on the out side)

img21861.jpg

3 to 5 hours test @45c TDS = 0.06

img21941.jpg

Test 2 Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT

TDS = 0.00
Conductivity = 0.006us
3 Hours at 40c , 2 extra hours at 45c

img21951.jpg

3 hours at 40c TDS = 0.02

img21971.jpg

2 hours @ 45c TDS = 0.05

img22021.jpg

Test 3 Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT

+ Mayhems X1 Clear Coolant (vegetable extract based + biocide + inhibitors)
Temp 40c 3 hours & 45c 2 hours
TDS = 0.05

Work in progress

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Great testing, looking forward to seeing how different tubing behaves.

Could I suggest, if it is not too time consuming, that you put some info on the photos about the test? Something like this is what I had in mind:

That way it makes it a bit clearer what each photo is of, which will probably help a lot when they inevitably get linked / posted round various forums.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh ill re do them later on. just trying to test this stuff and all so keep up with my own work is pretty hard but ill get it done.

·
Premium Member
3,760 Posts
That tygon tubing is a very interesting test. As Im sure they rest will be as well. But seeing that tubing cloud up that bad at 45C is crazy. My loop temps reach 100-109F(40-43C) when running just my GPUs folding/BOINC. Because they run cool, and my fans are controlled based off of my CPU temperature, the water does get warm. I couldnt imagine what that would do to my loop after about a week of straight crunching lol REP for that info alone for sure. The rest is just above and beyond

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question does any one have a lead free welding / brazing rod they can send me please of a small peace of Lead free solder. Just so we can add that to the tests, we cannot find any locally....... or would would tin solder do the same trick..

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I think im gonna wait for these results to buy tubing.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I bought some PVC tubing from Home Depot. Just going to run distilled for now until the tests are done
thumb.gif
i got PVC from Lowes and that ish clouded so quickly. no buildup in the loop though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Question does any one have a lead free welding / brazing rod they can send me please of a small peace of Lead free solder. Just so we can add that to the tests, we cannot find any locally....... or would would tin solder do the same trick..
I will see what I can come up with.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Falknir thank you this will be of grate trying to resolve some of the issues we are seeing around the community.

@Rhaziell we will be testing all tubing we can get our hands on. How ever it will take time.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.