Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just ordered a pair of Opteron 3380's (for $125usd) as they were only being sold in a lot of 2 at a time. I only needed one so going to end up selling off the second to offset the costs. How can I go about quickly checking which of these are a better silicon during testing when they arrive.

Should I just do a full stress on stock clocks and see how low I can undervolt before instability or even compare stock stress peak temperatures? Any suggestions at all as to how I would go about this?

To note... I still need to adjust the VRM heatsinking on my motherboard (ga-880gma-usb3 v3.1) so don't want to push them too hard right away through overclocking. I am going from an Opteron 1389 - [email protected] (115w TDP stock w/ C2 Stepping) to an Opteron 3380 @ Stock (65w TDP). Would stressing it at the stock 3.6ghz turbo be any more of a strain on the VRMs compared to what I'm currently running?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, As an update...

Just got them in and have been testing them back and forth a fair bit. Swapping them in between constantly to test differences. Seems with locked bulldozer\piledriver multis you cannot select the boost clocks multiplier as the base clock multiplier. This limits me to 13x as the base which... is going to heavily clamp my base. Couldn't find info on this on my searches as I've never dealt with turbo before so I was gravely misinformed there.

Just need confirmation on a few things...

-Will POST up to around 275 FSB

-Will POST up to 291FSB (Same FSB max as my Opteron 1389)
-Runs a degree or two cooler it seems.
-Will post up to 2.9ghz NB

BOTH:
- Cannot raise FSB above 240 with NB frequency lower than 9x, board will not post

* The temperatures are currently hard to tell. Due to switching back and forth the heatsink is only providing its' own weight of pressure and reused paste during testing. So it isn't cooling anywhere near where it could.

QUESTION: Considering the other CPU not being able to post above ~275FSB, would this mean the silicon itself isn't as good? Could there be other redeeming merits I should try to look for such as turbo overclockability or does this one thing pretty much nullify any potential in comparison to the other?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts