Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was testing with Testmem5 and went away for 30 min. When I came back my PC was in sleep mode with no fans spinning. How is that possible with 100% CPU usage & 70W power draw?

It also seemed like it was just continuing testing in sleep mode but that's impossible, right?

·
Rig Advisor
3,492 Posts
I was testing with Testmem5 and went away for 30 min. When I came back my PC was in sleep mode with no fans spinning. How is that possible with 100% CPU usage & 70W power draw?

It also seemed like it was just continuing testing in sleep mode but that's impossible, right?
Sounds more like your monitor was in sleep mode. Default is off after 15 minutes IIRC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and how are you seeing this 700 w draw
70W but I should've clarified: 70W CPU package power, not total system power draw. It means my CPU was active.

Sounds more like your monitor was in sleep mode. Default is off after 15 minutes IIRC.
I have a glass side panel and no fans were spinning + the RGB on my MB was also off. HCI Memtest doesn't do the same so it seems test dependent. I can just disable sleep mode for testing so it's not a big deal but I just thought it was weird how my PC can go to sleep in the middle of a test. I'll assume it didn't continue testing during sleep, but it did keep counting time correctly.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,062 Posts
Your computer will go to sleep if there is no i/o activity no matter if it is full tilt computing. The PC is setup to sleep if there is no detected human activity for the specified period. If you don't want it to sleep, create a power plan based off of balanced (or whatever) and set the sleep timeout to never. Then switch to that for stress testing or benchmarking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts