Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a disagreement with my friend over texture quality in games, and it's impact on performance, and I'm hoping some knowledgeable people can chime in on this.

Basically, my friend has a rig with a i5 2500k and a GTX 1060 6gb. He is always cranking down the texture quality in games, claiming that his performance is increased when doing so, and that games like Fortnite introduce stutter and jittering when the texture quality is increased or maxed out.

In my personal experience, it seems to me that as long as your GPU has adequate VRAM, that cranking up the texture quality has ZERO impact on performance. I have tried switching the texture quality back and forth in countless games, and have never noticed any type of performance issues on my personal rig. He disagrees though, and claims that in certain heavy intense areas the high quality textures introduce stuttering.

Can anyone clarify the answer to this. Is it not pointless to turn down the texture quality on a rig like his?

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Generally, the texture quality should have a minimal impact on performance if there is enough VRAM. However, some games insist on streaming in textures, no matter how much VRAM they have available and some may indeed stutter more at higher texture quality.

I can't speak for Fortnite specifically, as I don't play it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts