Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
An extensive study into the effect of digitalization on the music industry in Norway has shed an interesting light on the position of artists today, compared to 1999. While the music industry often talks about artists being on the brink of bankruptcy due to illicit file-sharing, the study found that the number of artists as well as their average income has seen a major increase in the last decade.
Source

 

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sequencius View Post
this is VERY interesting, finally someone did a study on it.
This.


I believe that is true, and they get popular for free anyways, then people will become loyal to an artist, and actually buy from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,738 Posts
School's filter blocks this... anyone think they could PM me the full text please?


Edit: someone sent, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911 View Post
This.


I believe that is true, and they get popular for free anyways, then people will become loyal to an artist, and actually buy from them.

This.

If people can't see the positives of piracy, then they are just dim-witted. I can't count how many albums I've purchased that I never would have even known about if it wasn't for piracy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here View Post
This.

If people can't see the positives of piracy, then they are just dim-witted. I can't count how many albums I've purchased that I never would have even known about if it wasn't for piracy.
But, why purchase the albums? loyalty? ive discovered new artists and tastes but this hasn't convinced me to purchase the music I liked and already have in flac on my computer. I haven't purchased music since 1999. Ironically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by v193r View Post
But, why purchase the albums? loyalty? ive discovered new artists and tastes but this hasn't convinced me to purchase the music I liked and already have in flac on my computer. I haven't purchased music since 1999. Ironically.
Ehh I discovered Cage the Elephant from Borderlands and bought their album. Worth every penny.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,759 Posts
It isn't about the Artists... It's about the labels and whatnot making more money - which piracy hurts their record sales.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by v193r View Post
But, why purchase the albums? loyalty? ive discovered new artists and tastes but this hasn't convinced me to purchase the music I liked and already have in flac on my computer. I haven't purchased music since 1999. Ironically.
Because maybe if you like an artist enough you'll support them?

Idk, I still don't believe mp3s should cost anything. It's just SOUND...
But concerts yeah, they're shows they should cost money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALiShaikh View Post
Ehh I discovered Cage the Elephant from Borderlands and bought their album. Worth every penny.
but why when you could have gotten it free. Basically what you did is gave them a donation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sequencius View Post
Because maybe if you like an artist enough you'll support them?

Idk, I still don't believe mp3s should cost anything. It's just SOUND...
But concerts yeah, they're shows they should cost money.
Im not rich enough to support artists with money I dont have for a product I could get for free. If I had no choice but to buy their music in order to listen to it then I would buy it. I just dont subscribe to the idea of supporting an artist for no reward other than you getting + karma.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignite View Post
It isn't about the Artists... It's about the labels and whatnot making more money - which piracy hurts their record sales.
The artists get a cut of the profits, if they're making more, so are the record companies. Of course, this excludes independent artists. But seriously, who cares about the record companies? Seriously?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by v193r View Post
But, why purchase the albums? loyalty? ive discovered new artists and tastes but this hasn't convinced me to purchase the music I liked and already have in flac on my computer. I haven't purchased music since 1999. Ironically.
Because I actually like to support indie artists that aren't selling their souls to record companies in order to get rich quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,935 Posts
As far as I know, artists don't actually get all that much money from CD sales, most of it goes to the label. They get most of their money from concerts... You download their music free, like it, want to go to concerts. The ability to get music free has caused a lot more bands to become popular and therefore more people are going to concerts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post
As far as I know, artists don't actually get all that much money from CD sales, most of it goes to the label. They get most of their money from concerts... You download their music free, like it, want to go to concerts. The ability to get music free has caused a lot more bands to become popular and therefore more people are going to concerts.
Indie label artists get a much bigger cut from album sales, which is why I prefer to support them over major label artists. Major label CEO's and higher ups can stick it where the sun don't shine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
I'm pleased that someone did a study on this. Isn't Norway also a country where piracy is legal, just discouraged? If so, that lends a lot to this study.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pillz Here View Post
Because I actually like to support indie artists that aren't selling their souls to record companies in order to get rich quick.
Nickelback. That is all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,805 Posts
I believe this to be true. More music is out there now and more people have access to it. Meaning more people are going to know about an artist and if they like them, they will buy a tshirt, or stickers, go see their concert etc. The artist will see money from the fans in other ways, like concerts, tshirt sales, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pillz here View Post
because i actually like to support indie artists that aren't selling their souls to record companies in order to get rich quick.
+1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
The artists get a cut of the profits, if they're making more, so are the record companies. Of course, this excludes independent artists. But seriously, who cares about the record companies? Seriously?
it depends on the specific details the artist signed with a contract wth the record company, who knows what they have going on.

Who cares? That would be the the shareholders of recording companies and RIAA, essentially all the lawyers who make up the recording companies. Of course it takes someone from Norway to have clear study on this.


But from the results, you could also say that people are just willing to by more crap than ever before. Especially when it's easily available through digital distribution and you just have to load your new iphone with the latest justin biber songs because that girl over there says you have to.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top