Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
During September 2008, isoHunt founder Gary Fung grew tired of the threats from the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA). Instead of waiting for the CRIA to take action against him, Fung took the unusual step of suing the music industry outfit, seeking confirmation that the site’s operations are legal.
Interesting

I think they want to prevent a TPB. They want to be confirmed that just being a torrent indexer is legal, and that they do not upload any copyrighted material.

One more thing:

ONLY DISCUSS THE ARTICLE I POSTED, NOT WHAT YOU PIRATED OR WHAT YOUR VIEW ON PIRACY IS.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Pro!

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Sooo... basically isoHunt is like the Rebel Alliance, Gary Fung is like Luke Skywalker, and the talented members of the music industry are like the Empire?

Wait, did I say talented? I mean monetizing leeches that make sure actual artists only earn pennies for every album that's sold.

·
15,777 Posts
SPY!!! Isohunt is a SPY!!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Wouldn't they have to prove that their torrent indexer is only being used for legal purposes? Even the RIAA will tell you that torrenting is legal but for legal files only. If IsoHunt is letting their program to be used for illegal files then this case is nothing more than a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!! View Post
SPY!!! Isohunt is a SPY!!!
THE CAKE IS A SPY!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
guess it had to hapened so why not them strike first

seems like a bold brave move i cant see how they can justify the obvious, people are allowed to register and upload pirated stuff so in theory there responisble for the content, ill just say that torrents arent illegal its the content within them which has no link to isohunt at all, if isohunt can get done for this, google should as well

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by buster2010 View Post
Wouldn't they have to prove that their torrent indexer is only being used for legal purposes? Even the RIAA will tell you that torrenting is legal but for legal files only. If IsoHunt is letting their program to be used for illegal files then this case is nothing more than a waste of time and money.
I think they have to at least attempt to remove illegal files like Rapidshare does or something.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If they can persuade a court that they're not knowingly providing software for the primary purpose of pirating digital media, more power to 'em.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
This is a bad move. They should take the legal battles as they come, not speed it up. They should've follow what Mininova did. Even though they had to shut down in the end, but the ran for serveral years. At the end they didn't even have to pay a fine. Mininova probably made millions from adverstising during all these years of operation.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chranny
View Post

I think they have to at least attempt to remove illegal files like Rapidshare does or something.

Pretty sure that's what it's meant to be like.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
This is a bad move. They should take the legal battles as they come, not speed it up. They should've follow what Mininova did. Even though they had to shut down in the end, but the ran for serveral years. At the end they didn't even have to pay a fine. Mininova probably made millions from adverstising during all these years of operation.
Not really, if they succeed with this then when someone comes after them they can just be like, hey look were legal we even showed it back in 2009.

Also, approaching the law and saying you want to be legal, and having to defend yourself against a lawsuit are different things and probably makes the judge look at them slightly differently.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I'll cry if I lose all my torrent searches
<<<<that's a tear drop

·
Premium Member
8,408 Posts
The world is getting smaller.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by buster2010
View Post

The RIAA operates outside the law, so they don't count.

And the law is pretty much 'Don't host illegal stuff and your not at fault,' so hosting a tracker that points to the illegal stuff other people have isn't hosting said illegal content, so the tracker can't be held accountable AFAIK. So far I think the other sites have been shut down by having judges who support the prosecution rule on the cases [as in the TPB case].

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
isoHunt already respects takedown requests and automatically filters torrents to the best of their ability. They're just like YouTube, but for more types of content. There is no reason they should be considered illegal.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts