·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://torrentfreak.com/us-lawmakers...bsites-100920/

US Lawmakers Want to Quash Pirate Websites

Quote:

US Lawmakers Want to Quash Pirate Websites

Earlier this year the Obama administration declared war on Internet piracy and counterfeiting. "Piracy is theft, clean and simple," Vice President Joe Biden said when he announced the Joint Strategic Plan to combat intellectual property theft.

A week later the U.S. Government took action against nine websites suspected of promoting copyright infringement by seizing their domains. The targets were mostly movie streaming sites, but it later became apparent the The Pirate Bay and MegaUpload had also been considered. They have escaped for now.

Taking the domains of suspected sites has proven to be a highly effective tool to shut down sites that are considered illegal, and today a group of US senators proposed legislation to make this a standard procedure.

If signed into law, the "Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act" (pdf via TL) would allow the Department of Justice to file a civil lawsuit against the domain owners. If the courts decide that a site is indeed promoting copyright infringement, the DOJ can order the domain registrar to take the domain offline.

What joe biden needs to understand is,
The more a government regulates an economy, the more black markets there's gonna be.

And also, why does the US get to police the internet?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sigh. The harder you pull the more the pirates push. I'll stand by the pirates no matter what; they stand for freedom and collaboration rather than an 'elite' power like the US government. "Potential sales" are not sales, so no money was lost. If they like the game; I'm sure they'll buy it anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Quote:
“The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act will give the Department of Justice an expedited process for cracking down on these rogue Web sites regardless of whether the Web site’s owner is located inside or outside of the United States,†Senator Orin Hatch said.
I don't get how this is legal in other countries...

·
Village Idiot
2,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daney View Post
Sigh. The harder you pull the more the pirates push. I'll stand by the pirates no matter what; they stand for freedom and collaboration rather than an 'elite' power like the US government. "Potential sales" are not sales, so no money was lost. If they like the game; I'm sure they'll buy it anyway.
This. I don't know anyone who stole something they planned on buying. Even if piracy goes away, crappy games/movies will still have crappy sales numbers.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday View Post
And also, why does the US get to police the internet?
Pretty much.

Shutting down a US hosted site is fine.

Shutting down a site in Sweden is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Joint Strategic Plan to combat intellectual property theft?

pretty funny name they have there

·
Iconoclast
30,441 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
I don't get how this is legal in other countries...

Treaties.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
I knew this was coming, I told everyone that they were trying to take over the net, and this will effectively do so if passed into law.

When will people realize that this is a high-tech tyranny we live in and they are trying to control every aspect of your life?

This bill will give power to the government to deem websites appropriate or not. Basically what this bill is saying is that if you put any content on your site that is "American" owned with suspicion of content infringement or even promoting it will give them the ability to "takeover" that domain in question.

This is a direct violation of freedom of speech. I should be allowed to promote anything I want as long as it does not threaten another individual(s) without any prosecution or fine.

That's like saying a torrent search engine is providing copyrighted material when all it does is track a file that points to where to get it but not actually hosting the content itself.

If we don't put a stop to this and tell these senators and house of representatives that these draconian laws will not only cripple are freedoms but also cripple innovations in fear of prosecution.

In the case of Wikileaks that they refer to, I find it absolutely necessary for sites like this to exist. Obviously, the government would have never released any of that information on their own, leaving the nation in the dark about what really happens over seas. Also, whistleblowing is supposed to be protected under law. And anyone that does so now either winds up dead from some "accident" or demonized by the government ran media. If they start to shutdown sites that seek the truth then we are REALLY in trouble as a society. America is looking more and more like Nazi Germany every day and this is just another prime example of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you guys arguing about the US policing the internet need to read more. Interpol has tried numerous times and failed miserably. Whether people will agree or not, the US is slightly more able than most other organizations out there in doing this. Also, it is a very gray area as to who should or shouldn't police the internet due to the worldy origin of material and the fact that it crosses international borders.

One of the major arguments is that information can start in China and hop through 4-5 countries before landing in the US. So who do we target? The source? The destination? The hops? This is often why legislation gets vetoed. It's tough to hammer a nail into a moving target.

Another argument I have seen and debated with is that the U.S. "created" the internet, therefore, we should be the country to police it. I understand the general view of this, however, it is wrong. The internet is by all reason, a public creation. Although the U.S. may have created the earliest primitive form of it, the public has turned it into the cloud it is. I think it really comes down to the American government trying to maintain superpower status and being the big kid on the playground. I do not agree with this.

Finally, if you look at the sites they target, typically you will find it is a major public site which is easily identifiable and targetable. It is most often some hack website with 1 server located in an area that will gladly open its arms to the policing force. More private torrent sites that run off of invite only are much harder to shut down. Look at demonoid.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Well...Good luck America!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post
Because millions of unemployed Americans, an ever decreasing standard in education, poverty, trying to find the cure for diseases, drug trade and crime are definitely NOT as important as John Doe downloading The Hurt Locker for free.
with all the billions lobbyist have dumped into the governments pockets i think its only fair their issues come first

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
why exactly are people here against stopping piracy?

This is the way they should be handling it. Go after the People responsible for putting it out there and making it available to the masses, not filing lawsuits against the people who download a few songs and try and fine them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Or adding horrible computer crashing and restricting DRM to games and programs.

Stealing is wrong, and there are paths to go throught to combat piracy that are also wrong.

1 - 20 of 299 Posts