Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
a singer is claiming that after failing to reach terms with Sony, the company put her music in the movie anyway. After receiving not a penny from the movie giant, Yoon Mi Rae is now set to sue.
Quote:
But while Sony deals with rampant piracy issues at one end, it's now facing copyright infringement allegations of its own. According to new claims, Sony used copyrighted music in The Interview without permission and without compensating an artist.

Yoon Mi-rae (real name Natasha Shanta Reid) is a US-born hip hop and R&B singer who currently releases music on the Feel Ghood Music label. In January 2013 as part of MFBTY (My Fans Better Than Yours), the 33-year-old hit the number 1 spot in the Korean Music Charts and in September reached the same heights on Billboard's Kpop Hot 100 list with her song 'Touch Love'.

But while these recognitions were achieved by fans buying her music, she's now in the spotlight for not getting paid for her work. It appears that Yoon Mi-rae was in negotiations with Sony to have her track 'Pay Day' appear in The Interview. Even though no agreement was reached, Sony used the music anyway.

"There were initial discussions for using 'Pay Day' in the movie, but at some point, the discussions ceased and we assumed that it would not follow through," Feel Ghood Music says.

"However, after the movie was released, we learned that the track had been used without permission, legal procedure, or contracts."

Sony, who are already facing a world of pain following the hacking and near destruction of their IT systems in recent weeks, will now face a copyright infringement lawsuit over the unauthorized use of the ironically named 'Pay Day'.

"We will be taking legal action against Sony Pictures as well as DFSB, the agency that had been carrying out the discussion regarding the use of the track," the label says.
Damn son. Damn sony. Does not like people stealing their stuff but likes to steal from others.

Source : http://torrentfreak.com/sony-about-to-get-sued-for-pirating-music-in-the-interview-141227/

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,788 Posts
moral of the story, anything sony is officially open game.

• Rep+
Reactions: Crnogorac

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Is it just me, or sony really getting it hard where the sun don't shine? I have heard of hard times, but wow. Just... wow.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle3092 View Post

I hope she smashes them. If any company would fall of the face of the earth I would hope its Sony.
Hope you enjoy Microsoft dominating and thus exploiting the entire games console market, if so. You hate Sony more than EA? Comcast?

·
Premium Member
7,990 Posts
Intern Billy forgot to send the email with the Notice of Intent.

Sony gets sued.

Everyone at Sony is running around the offices screaming at each other because they can't find the documentation showing any acceptance of terms with the artist.

No one can find jack about it because the servers and workstations are Limburger.

Billy quietly transfers to accounting and keeps his mouth shut

• Rep+
Reactions: Shiftstealth

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

I think it depends on the situation.

Sony had DFSB handling the acquisition of rights to use the song. Had DFSB done their job properly, either by getting the rights or telling Sony they couldn't get the rights, then Sony Pictures probably wouldn't have used it.

Though had Sony Pictures known they didn't have the rights and still used it, then sure blame Sony Pictures. But why would they do that? Surely they would know a lawsuit would be heading their way. It simply wouldn't make sense to do that at all.

Jumping on Sony Pictures in the way people want to is not going to mean anything without having information on the situation.
There was no source when I posted. Nor was the title correctly formatted.
You're applying logic to a company that clearly has none.

maybe they thought they would have the deal ironed out by the time the movie hit, or maybe you can chalk it up to an Intern screwing up big time, or maybe you can chalk it up to incompetence, meh.

Or maybe Kim Jung Un personally hacked into the movie files & replaced the original song with a different song, with the intention of them getting in trouble for Copyright violations.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

Is it just me, or sony really getting it hard where the sun don't shine? I have heard of hard times, but wow. Just... wow.
ya they getting boned big time. but this is just so lame and bad to do

·
Old and Crochity
5,269 Posts
In the past Sony has sued individuals for violating their copyright by illegally sharing music. In 100% of the lawsuits Sony has enacted against pirates they have sought the maximum fines permitted under the law: $150,000 per instance of piracy.

That means they have sued individuals for over $4.5 million for sharing 30 songs, they said they were seeking maximum damages because copyright was important and it was necessary to seek maximum damages to dissuade other pirates. And they have maintained that really it ought to be $150,000 per person who downloaded the song illegally, which in some cases put the amount they were seeking from an individual into the billions.

So far, just in youtube views alone (for which Sony charged $6.50 each), The Interview has been seen by 77 million people.
By Sony's own legal reasoning, therefore, they owe Yoon Mi Rae an absolute minimum of $11,625,000,000,000.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpriest667 View Post

In the past Sony has sued individuals for violating their copyright by illegally sharing music. In 100% of the lawsuits Sony has enacted against pirates they have sought the maximum fines permitted under the law: $150,000 per instance of piracy.

That means they have sued individuals for over $4.5 million for sharing 30 songs, they said they were seeking maximum damages because copyright was important and it was necessary to seek maximum damages to dissuade other pirates. And they have maintained that really it ought to be $150,000 per person who downloaded the song illegally, which in some cases put the amount they were seeking from an individual into the billions.

So far, just in youtube views alone (for which Sony charged $6.50 each), The Interview has been seen by 77 million people.
By Sony's own legal reasoning, therefore, they owe Yoon Mi Rae an absolute minimum of $11,625,000,000,000.
I hope she takes them to the cleaners and uses their own logic against them, unfortunately the Judges aren't going to view it that way. A huge factor in things like this is intent, and it is going to be impossible for the artist to prove that Sony willfully violated her Copyright, and intended to cause her loss. The size of Sony alone is going to allow them to say "Well, we didn't know, it was a mix up, sorry." and so on. Hell, Sony will also have the ability to push it off on the 3rd party they had trying to negotiate the deal.

In the end she is going to get a few bucks from them and settle, at most. On the public side it will be a "Sorry, it was just a misunderstanding due to business size. Our bad."

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I hope she takes them to the cleaners and uses their own logic against them, unfortunately the Judges aren't going to view it that way. A huge factor in things like this is intent, and it is going to be impossible for the artist to prove that Sony willfully violated her Copyright, and intended to cause her loss. The size of Sony alone is going to allow them to say "Well, we didn't know, it was a mix up, sorry." and so on. Hell, Sony will also have the ability to push it off on the 3rd party they had trying to negotiate the deal.

In the end she is going to get a few bucks from them and settle, at most. On the public side it will be a "Sorry, it was just a misunderstanding due to business size. Our bad."
That's not how things work in a court of law. She's going to get a minimum of 10 million dollar settlement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Poor Sony, they just can't get a break....

I don't quite understand but wasn't her songs beat based off " Dancing Machine" by Jackson 5...which Sony has the rights for? It would be very interesting if she actually didn't have rights to use it and got sued for infringement by Sony.

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

That's not how things work in a court of law. She's going to get a minimum of 10 million dollar settlement.
Actually, it is, it is a matter of intent. Intent is a huge factor in Court and determines a lot, including what crime was committed and what the punishment/penalty for that crime is. Hell, you are talking the difference between things like Homicide and Murder. Homicide being one human killing another, while Murder is one human killing another with intent. The difference in punishment between the two is massive!

Intent is huge.

She is going to struggle to an extreme degree to prove that Sony had the intent to violate the Copyright law and cause her damages. Frankly, even with the "advantage" that this doesn't have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but only to the preponderance of evidence, she is going to have a hard time.

Will she get money out of this? Yea, probably. But will it be as much as some want given Sony's aggressive lawsuits in the past? Nope.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Actually, it is, it is a matter of intent. Intent is a huge factor in Court and determines a lot, including what crime was committed and what the punishment/penalty for that crime is. Hell, you are talking the difference between things like Homicide and Murder. Homicide being one human killing another, while Murder is one human killing another with intent. The difference in punishment between the two is massive!

Intent is huge.

She is going to struggle to an extreme degree to prove that Sony had the intent to violate the Copyright law and cause her damages. Frankly, even with the "advantage" that this doesn't have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but only to the preponderance of evidence, she is going to have a hard time.
This is is a civil case.

·
Premium Member
10,886 Posts
You just can't make this stuff up! LMAO!

·
You broke it!
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

This is is a civil case.
Yes, I am aware of that, and why I said she has the "advantage" of only having to prove based on the preponderance of evidence and not beyond a reasonable doubt. Did you even read what I said?

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,788 Posts
Quote:

That is freaking amazing, and I would hope her Lawyers are smart enough to do the same math.

I'm sure she would be happy with 1% of total damages.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheBelow View Post

Hope you enjoy Microsoft dominating and thus exploiting the entire games console market, if so. You hate Sony more than EA? Comcast?
Let them, I dont play playstation or xbox. I prefer the pc/nintendo console combo.

Comcast I dont use/have, EA I dont buy. When Sony went after Lik-Sang and killed them off I stopped supporting them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quote:

Repped.

Sony deserve to be treated as they have treated others. Hope this girl gets big compensation.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts