Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Last week, Apple’s announcement of the iPhone 4 with FaceTime video calling capabilities brought the videophone back to the forefront of the media’s attention. Steve Jobs’ keynote made it sound like FaceTime will bring video phone calls to consumers for the first time. But the idea of a two-way communications device that transmits pictures as well as sound is as old as the phone itself.

Economic factors have kept it out of the average consumer’s reach until the last few decades, and the public has repeatedly greeted the conceptâ€"in stand-alone form, at leastâ€"with apathy. Still, inventors and dreamers keep coming back to the notion that the videophone is the way of the future.

Let’s take a stroll through videophone history to find out where things went wrongâ€"and rightâ€"and how we got to the iPhone 4 and its rivals.
http://technologizer.com/2010/06/14/videophones/

Alexander Graham Bell owns.
That is all.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
alexander graham bell owns.
That is all.

Quote:
the telephone was invented by antonio meucci, an italian-american, from whom alexander graham bell outrageously stole the patent application and copied it.
:d

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond
View Post

screw you all. Guglielmo Marconi deserves this award. that be an iphone based on a wireless communication standard.

sooo. Guglielmo Marconi and Alexander Graham Bell owns

Nice turn around.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Guglielmo Marconi. Alexander Graham Bell.

Nikola Tesla.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thank you for this article. I made an offtopic thread questioning why they they making like video calling is new. Nokia been doing it since 2005.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond
View Post

Guglielmo Marconi holds quite a few patents for radio transmitting. telsa was just a part of the whole buzz about radio in the 1890's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guglielmo_Marconi

blah. wiki pages are so convoluted. i could have sworn i head somewhere that marconi was the patent holder.

Oh I know, lol. But if it wasn't for that very convenient lab fire in 1895, Tesla's name would be synonymous with Radio.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Lots of folks over here are very into video phoning, but I truly don't understand the appeal. A grainy, poorly-lit, moving picture of you with a giant headset on and your finger in your nose is not what your family wants to see.

Then again, hearing soldiers and sailors complain about not being able to Skype with their families twice a day has a tendency to bring forth my inner rage, so maybe video phone calls are too closely related to that for me to make an objective assessment.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kremtok View Post
Lots of folks over here are very into video phoning, but I truly don't understand the appeal. A grainy, poorly-lit, moving picture of you with a giant headset on and your finger in your nose is not what your family wants to see.

Then again, hearing soldiers and sailors complain about not being able to Skype with their families twice a day has a tendency to bring forth my inner rage, so maybe video phone calls are too closely related to that for me to make an objective assessment.
I agree and completely see the use for soldiers and sailors or anyone who cannot visit their family for whatever reason.

For everyone else, and maybe its just my anti-social nature, this video stuff really defeats the purpose and convenience of texting. I mean, for the most part I text because I dont want to actually talk to the person much less see them...

Other thoughts:
This will revolutionize phone sex

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slave One View Post
Other thoughts:
This will revolutionize phone sex

Pfft, I remember back in my day you had to use your imagination for phone sex. And sexting, forget it, if you wanted nuddey pics of your GF you had to know someone with a Polaroid camera!

P.S. Damn I'm getting old, lol.

·
Registered
634 Posts
INB4 "Forgot my new phone was a video phone, answered to my priest on the pooper."

I'VE SEEN IT 100 TIMES!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts