Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Chicago (IL) â€" Apple’s products and competitive approach may be polarizing, but you can’t doubt the effectiveness of new products such as the iPhone. Apple is now estimated to be the world’s second largest smartphone manufacturing, holding an impressive 17.3% market share in the segment.

Canalys now ranks Apple as the world’s second largest smartphone manufacture, behind Nokia and ahead of Research in Motion (RIM). Nokia still dominates the segment with 38.9% market share, which means that the company sold about 15.5 million units of the $39.9 million unit market in Q3 of this year. Apple is estimated at sales of 6.9 million units and a 17.3% share, followed by RIM with 6.1 million units and 15.2% share.

Nokia seems to be increasingly under pressure as it was the only top 5 manufacturer who saw its unit shipments decline (-3.8%) during the period, while Apple increased its shipments more than six-fold and RIM saw an 80% increase in unit sales.

The list is rounded out by Motorola with shipments of 2.3 million (+12.4%) and HTC with only 5000 units less (2.3 million, +171.4%), Canalys said.

“It was expected that Apple would figure among the smart phone leaders this quarter, with that huge initial new product shipment, it was just a question of how high up it would be - and this is impressive,†commented Pete Cunningham, Canalys senior analyst.

Referring to RIM, the analyst said that RIM also saw “a tremendous performance, especially considering the delays it experienced in rolling out the Blackberry Bold. “Some customers will also have been waiting for the Storm to arrive. With these new products and the clamshell Pearl 8220 available in Q4, it is quite feasible that RIM will return to the number two position.â€

Source

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
wow... already?

well, if my brother has an iPhone then i suppose it makes sense - he's not one for tech... just goes to show what can happen if you make a good product.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
If you ask me, the entire apple hype is just that.. hype.. caused by good marketing strategy. Perhaps in some ways their 'iphone' offers features that cannot otherwise or easily be had, but at the risk of becoming some mainstream drone to the ipod iphone imac iwannakickapplesass pack. Someone needs to really come around and put apple down.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

If you ask me, the entire apple hype is just that.. hype.. caused by good marketing strategy. Perhaps in some ways their 'iphone' offers features that cannot otherwise or easily be had, but at the risk of becoming some mainstream drone to the ipod iphone imac iwannakickapplesass pack. Someone needs to really come around and put apple down.

But it's also A sweet phone. I just got one one and let me tell you its very handy

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkNite
View Post

But it's also A sweet phone. I just got one one and let me tell you its very handy

the nokia N95 and N96 perform better (more features also) the only thing apple has on everyone is the way to surf the next nothing comes close.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Some people also prefer the style of the iPhone, ie touchscreen plus the way it looks.

Like me
Never tried an N95 though

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Yup. The touch screen makes web browsing easier, but somebody's gonna do it better. Just a matter of time, since Apple is keeping all the good stuff in its pocket for later generations.

At one point I wanted to get an iPhone, but then I remembered the herd of iPhone poser kids (and yes -- at least in my case -- they ARE poser kids) at my school and thought there's no way I'm becoming part of them.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Iv tried other smartphones and never found one with a interface I even came close to liking other then the iPhone. I loathe Windows Mobile, despite its usefulness. Blackberry's OS is ok, but I dont like the trackball or how complex it is, again, despite usefulness. The other OS's iv looked at just don't feel as simple and refined as the iPhones. The gem of the iPhone's OS is its simplicty while retaining functionality through apps. Sure, other smartphones ma be more powerful, but not everyone needs that power. While people on OCN may like complex stuff, I along with a good chunk of the market want less complex, more simple options. To open internet radio on an iPhone, I tap my thump a few times while on a WM phone, I have to get out the stylus or rumble with the keys, open the program, then navigate with the keys more or use teh stylus. The only time I need internet radio is while driving so for me, the iphone winds hands down.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
if i could have any phone, i would get the Sony Xperia x1

Im a huge sony-ericsson fan, and this phone just goes over the top.
(but it's $1200 on ebay, lol)

either that or their new 8.1MP k series phone.

but i've seen all of the apps you can get on the iphone and it's a pretty useful device. for the price i would probably get it over the x1, but generally i would get the blackberry bold/x1 over the iphone

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote: "Well that's just like, your opinion, man." - The Dude

And so it should be with what kinda phone you use. For any reason. Whether it's cause they look cool (marketing) or they have features you want (tech) or anything else (it was a gift?) so long as you like it who cares? and if you don't, get a different phone.

Rawr.

·
Registered
595 Posts
thats probably the best quote in general concerning computers and anything we purchase in life......

Quote:

Originally Posted by macintristan View Post

And so it should be with what kinda phone you use. For any reason. Whether it's cause they look cool (marketing) or they have features you want (tech) or anything else (it was a gift?) so long as you like it who cares? and if you don't, get a different phone.

Rawr.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by macintristan View Post

Rawr.
Well said. And go Apple.

If the service wasn't 100$ a month, I'd get this in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had a Blackberry for work, but we switched to iPhone's at the end of the summer. I have to say I love the iPhone. It's so easy to use and it does everything I need. I can't tell you how many times I've used the map/GPS feature in it to find directions or to look up places that are nearby. It's so fast and easy to find what I'm looking for.

I can't imagine anything I'm missing in using it. Everything about it exceeded my expectations.

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Some of our members on our site are very narrow minded in that it kills them that someone else does not like what they like, which is usually the most high end or technologically savvy product. What they don't understand, is that while most of us are geeks, some of us are not and do prefer other alternatives. I don't have an iPhone because I use Verizon, but I have handled a few before and must admit that the GUI is very intuitive and easy to understand.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Quote:

View Post

If you ask me, the entire apple hype is just that.. hype.. caused by good marketing strategy.

There's nothing remarkable about the iphone at all?

I wouldn't get one, but I still think the way it's implemented is amazing, a grand piece of technology.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I would say apple products are in an over-hyped state right now, but on the other hand, it's not like the products are over-hyped but crappy quality--they make decent quality stuff. I own an ipod only because it was a gift--likely i'd never buy one, at least not for what they're going for. It's nice but it's not like there isn't a comparable product like an ipod that is priced cheaper that can't do the same things (and more in some cases)--it's just a matter of time before that happens with the iphone. But don't get me wrong--if I got an iphone as a gift, I wouldn't get rid of it either...

I think apple is just smart both with their product ideas and their marketing. I just wish they were easier on the wallet and not so snooty about things... Then again, being snooty makes people feel uber 1337 when they have their product.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well I would say its user base is what contributes to the iphone being such a big hit. I mean the fact that users are making programs for the phone makes it so much more versatile.

For example, one of the chief complaints about the iphone when it was released was that it could not capture videos, and now with the appstore, installer and cydia, you now have a video capture program.

The phone is ever evolving so the limitation are really boundless at this point.

Plus plans are not 100 dollars a month. Well mine is close to that but I have an unlocked phone using tmobile. I use 1000 minutes + myfave 5 and internet,and I pay about 65 dollars a month.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkNite
View Post

Really? So was my Samsung I got free wit ha contract way beck when. It was a great PHONE.

Frankly I like windows mobile's offerings much more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The iPhone is a nice little device, the iPod already controls the MP3 player market. Adding the features of an iPod to a smartphone, in my opinion, is why the iPhone was so popular(the touchscreen was a factor too). Most new cars come with an integrated iPod kit, I mean some manufacture rather offer that than a integrated MP3 player kit. I would love to get the iPhone, but I never had a good experience with AT&T and they don't have very good coverage in the areas I'm generally in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts