Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like AMD is really rocking on the GPU and CPU side of the house.

CPU

"AMD jumped an additional 1.1% in the last quarter of 2017, which matches its growth for the preceding four quarters." "Meanwhile, Intel's share fell to 87.8%, which is down 1% on the quarter and 1.9% on the year." "AMD sold roughly 11.5 million processors"

GPU

"JPR reports that AMD has improved its market share by 6.5% quarter-over-quarter and 4.2% year-over-year."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cpu-gpu-market-share,36592.html

·
Agressive Perfector
1,309 Posts
AMD's GPUs are MUCH better at mining than Nvidia's, AFAIK. I can't find a Vega 56/64 for the original MSRP. My brother sold his 3 month old Vega 56 that he had OC'd for a $300 profit to some ETH miner. Even then, Nvidia cards are still hilariously overpriced due to the scarcity of them.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If AMD can get ECC support on all AM4 / TR4 sockets they could (possibly) dominate the home NAS & server space, providing Supermicro made server boards for them.

FreeNAS with a 1600 and 16 - 32GB ECC RAM and you'd have a system that could handle a hell of a lot of simultaneous transcoding for crap all cost compared to Intel's Xeon.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
If AMD can get ECC support on all AM4 / TR4 sockets they could (possibly) dominate the home NAS & server space, providing Supermicro made server boards for them.

FreeNAS with a 1600 and 16 - 32GB ECC RAM and you'd have a system that could handle a hell of a lot of simultaneous transcoding for crap all cost compared to Intel's Xeon.
AM4 supports ECC RAM it is the motherboard makers that are not supporting ECC.

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
no bugs, glitches or exploits can stop Zen from becoming utterly popular. :drunken:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nvidia, release something soon you're losing ground :D
They probably will. I'm expecting they'll release two architectures in March or April. One of them will be Turing which is exclusive for the mining gpus and they might be able to fix the that mining crisis. I'm hoping those new GeForce cards won't do mining.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
They probably will. I'm expecting they'll release two architectures in March or April. One of them will be Turing which is exclusive for the mining gpus and they might be able to fix the that mining crisis. I'm hoping those new GeForce cards won't do mining.
There is no such thing as "wont do mining".

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

AM4 and TR4 both support ecc. Some of the "gamer" boards don't support ecc, but Asrock and Asus are good about it.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Do you mean by grammatically ?
Do you even know what "mining" is? Its doing specific algorithm and getting a virtual reward for it. All generic hardware can do it. ALL.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,114 Posts
TH has this article, and in the same banner has an article about how Nvidia is pushing back the next Geforce launch because it isn't being pressured by competition. They can't both be right, right?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
AM4 supports ECC RAM it is the motherboard makers that are not supporting ECC.
AM4 and TR4 both support ecc. Some of the "gamer" boards don't support ecc, but Asrock and Asus are good about it.
Yes they "support" it but only 2 or 3 boards fully support it (meaning plug and play with no issues) because AMD aren't pushing for it to be fully supported.

AMD need to really push for it to be supported on every board like Intel does and has done for many years otherwise it wont be fully supported :thumbsdow.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you even know what "mining" is? Its doing specific algorithm and getting a virtual reward for it. All generic hardware can do it. ALL.
I'm saying that, with the next architecture Nvidia can prevent that action for the GeForce cards and create an another segment for the miners. For example: Turing architecture for the miners, Ampere for the GeForce. Maybe preventing generic hardware is not possible right now but at least they might be able to do some tricks with software. Did you get it right ?

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
I'm saying that, with the next architecture Nvidia can prevent that action for the GeForce cards and create an another segment for the miners. For example: Turing architecture for the miners, Ampere for the GeForce. Maybe preventing generic hardware is not possible right now but at least they might be able to do some tricks with software. Did you get it right ?

Maybe you did not understand what i said.

ALL generic hardware, means ALL. This includes GPUs, CPUs, hell there are even HDDs mining algorithms.

Mining means, running that specific algorithm. That algorithm uses specific functions of the GPU.
You CANT make a GPU not mine, because this is a computing ability, and without computing, the GPU will be useless (it may even stop being GPU).

Also, nVidia does not care at all about miners. Turing will not be for miners. It may be for compute oriented workloads. Which means data centers. Mining only falls in that category.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts
Yes they "support" it but only 2 or 3 boards fully support it (meaning plug and play with no issues) because AMD aren't pushing for it to be fully supported.

AMD need to really push for it to be supported on every board like Intel does and has done for many years otherwise it wont be fully supported :thumbsdow.
Yeeeeaaaaa, so Intel does not support ECC on any normal Core series chip by default including X-series except a few Pentiums/i3s and outliers from 2014 and older, and certainly not all motherboards support it.

https://ark.intel.com/Search/Featur...ors&ECCMemory=true&FilterCurrentProducts=true

Literally not possible. Miners use CUDA and OpenCL like all other compute programs. To block anything is to block everything, and even then they could write the miner to use whatever API the card does still support, such as DirectCompute.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts