Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a-frontpic.jpg

Quote:
There's no question that 3840x2160 is the hot resolution in display technology right now. Gone are the days when computer monitors and televisions followed separate development paths. It was barely two years ago that Sony showed us the first-ever production 4K television (an 84-inch panel selling for a cool $25,000, a price that still stands incidentally). It was only a matter of time before computer users began demanding that same experience on the desktop. We waited patiently. And as we saw already from stories like Gaming At 3840x2160: Is Your PC Ready For A 4K Display?, the first-generation panels are here. Slowly but surely, their wrinkles are being smoothed out, too.
source

Who wants my two kidneys for this monitor?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
wonder how many professionals actually buy monitors over $1k?
i think that's the threshold even for most pros.

·
Owner of 20 SSDs
4,716 Posts
i don't see the point of this besides a larger screen, their 24 inch 4K is $1200 or cheaper on Amazon and has better PPI, so while that 4K isn't cheap to many, it's still within range of realistic availability.

$3500 for a monitor? Forget about it. Only down to $1000ish are they even considered at this point.

·
Banned
4,324 Posts
LOL, I'll never understand the pricepoint of these monitors and how they are allowed to do this. Tablets with way more functionality are cheaper than this.

·
The Sizzler
598 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,499 Posts
I will wait when 4K IPS 60Hz Finalized input under $800. Not in a rush for 4K since you will need GPU power and not much 4K content out there.

·
Windows 10 is good
4,310 Posts
Looking forward to those AU Optronics panels coming in... $400-500 4k 60hz IPS 27" Korean panels in 4-6 months maybe...
biggrin.gif
. Once those hit, or a more reasonably-priced IPS 60hz comes along, I'll be all over it.

·
Owner of 20 SSDs
4,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post

16:9 aspect ratio. No thanks.
yea yea, but 16:10 is dying out, manufacturers are not willing to keep a separate line for 16:10 LCDs, because there is no 16:10 TVs.

if you want 16:10 4K, get the IBM T221.

·
PC Evangelist
47,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfoo View Post

Yeah, 2160p of vertical res are not enough...
rolleyes.gif
Morreeee!!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
This^^^^ the 4k revolution has eliminated the need for 16:10

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l88bastar View Post

This^^^^ the 4k revolution has eliminated the need for 16:10
For a lot of people it's not the amount of pixels, it's the aspect ratio itself. 16:10 is a much more pleasant format to look at in my opinion, it just seems like it's perfectly proportionate.

It may have something to do with the golden ratio, however I don't think anything has ever been proven, all tests have been inconclusive.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

yea yea, but 16:10 is dying out, manufacturers are not willing to keep a separate line for 16:10 LCDs, because there is no 16:10 TVs.

if you want 16:10 4K, get the IBM T221.
I'm not settling for these pleb 16:9 panels. 16:10 or nope.
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
You're right, its not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer View Post

16:10 has been dead for years, get over it.
I don't know, all the high end professional monitors out there still use 16:10. Not sure where you get this from.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

For a lot of people it's not the amount of pixels, it's the aspect ratio itself. 16:10 is a much more pleasant format to look at in my opinion, it just seems like it's perfectly proportionate.

It may have something to do with the golden ratio, however I don't think anything has ever been proven, all tests have been inconclusive.
At the end of the day its about having a wall of information in front of you. Back then 4:3 was needed because of the lack of available pixels to display legal size documents for work professionals. Now that resolutions have gone from 480p to 2160+ 16:10 is irrelevant. I have a 39" 4k seiki in front of me right now and it is a MASSIVE wall of information, so much in fact that I can't even tell its 16:9 anymore.....all I see is screen real estate at this res. I have a Sony FW900 but it feels like tunnel vision compared against a massive 4k screen.

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
Just waiting on the new display port. Me visiting this thread doesnt help my patience. Damn you guys.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
This whole "16:10 or go home attitude" is a bit over-exaggerated.

Yes, ofc there are benefits for more vertical space, but there you are: 28-30" would cram up to 1600p, now we have 2160p.

Golden ratio preferences etc are a bit over the top to claim as the "reason your eyes naturaly prefer" etc...don't see ppl in the US abandoning their irrational paper size system for the far more rational and φ based ISO Ax system...don't see many other aesthetically displeasing choices backing down...its more of an elitist thing than not, as 16:9 panels had caught up for quite some time now, and the ratio didn't have much to do with production availability and standards that 10-11 years ago when the 16:10 was introduced as the prevailing ratio for LCD Panels were completely different.

The last 16:10 I personally owned (tho I've been using 24" 1200p @ work, but not bought by me) was an old 1050p TN...pretty horrible back then, much like most of the panels of its generation.
Don't see how the ratio was giving it more credibility, was just the manufacturing norm at the time.

The contrary, I see the current 4K panels being exactly 2x the size of the 1080p (4x in pixels), has nothing but benefits for all parties.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts