Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering that TLC NAND only has 300-500 write cycles the 1 million cycles they got with PCM is awesome. Not to mention the fact that it is 1000 times faster than NAND.
thumb.gif
It is good to see IBM coming up with TLC technology for this, it will enable NAND pricing for DRAM performance.
Quote:
IBM announced that it has developed a method to store three bits of data per cell using Phase-Change Memory (PCM). Intel and Micron set the memory world afire with their 3D XPoint announcement, but they have not revealed the underpinnings of the technology, which many speculate is either ReRAM- or PCM-based. In either case, the IBM PCM products will line up as competitors for 3D XPoint, though the ability to store more data per cell could provide IBM with a cost and density advantage.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ibm-pcm-tlc-3d-xpoint,31811.html

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,826 Posts
Competition at its finest.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I think we're about to enter a new era of storage. Can't wait to see where this and 3D XPoint go over the next few years!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Excellent.
Now we know it can be adopted for use in Consoles with any brand of hardware. Intel seems to be banking on memory performance to sell future CPU's, as long as AMD can license this (or maybe make something similar of their own) then Intel won't have a monopoly on the new tech and the entire industry can move forward together.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We definitely need open standards. Intel has tried to lock promising technology behind the wall of proprietary crap in the past, thus strangling the tech. Bubble RAM pops to mind.

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
I cannot wait any longer, I need an Intel Optane 3D X-Point NVMe PCIe to launch at 400GB and $300 at Computex 2016 or soon after.

Why? Because I'm still hanging on to very old Intel 520 ssds from 2012, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Screaming Emoticon)

and they are both almost out of warranty, (actually one full year left) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

smile.gif

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBruce View Post

I cannot wait any longer, I need an Intel Optane 3D X-Point NVMe PCIe to launch at 400GB and $300 at Computex 2016 or soon after.

Why? Because I'm still hanging on to very old Intel 520 ssds from 2012, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Screaming Emoticon)

and they are both almost out of warranty, (actually one full year left) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

smile.gif
300$? U mean 1000++$?

·
Guru Meditation
2,068 Posts
WOW !
eek.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just want to see one of these next gen PCIE devices tested in a real world environment. Seems like we have been hearing about xpoint and hypothetical competitors for ages now.

I could definitely use a storage device with lower latency, more IOPS, and better longevity than the current SSD drives available today.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleMan View Post

I just want to see one of these next gen PCIE devices tested in a real world environment. Seems like we have been hearing about xpoint and hypothetical competitors for ages now.

I could definitely use a storage device with lower latency, more IOPS, and better longevity than the current SSD drives available today.
There were some tests on XPoint from IDF in China

X-Point was doing over 2GB/s sequential (which isn't that amazing since a 950 Pro can do that), but random Io was, "This demo showed 464,300 4K random IOPS, and if you do the math, that works out to 1.9 GB/s *worth of random IO*" so that is quite impressive.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/IDF-Shenzhen-Intel-Demos-3D-XPoint-Optane-File-Copy-2-GBs

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

I want to see this in mobile devices... Stupid slow storage is the plague of mobile devices right now. It's terrible. My Nexus 9 is like 1/10th the speed in storage than my SATA II ssd...
Using PCM/XPoint as unified memory will be perfect for mobile devices. No more separation between RAM and permanent storage, and RAM becomes non-volatile. Devices could almost completely power down when you turn the screen off, and instantly pick up where they left off when something wakes it up.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

I want to see this in mobile devices... Stupid slow storage is the plague of mobile devices right now. It's terrible. My Nexus 9 is like 1/10th the speed in storage than my SATA II ssd...
What do you do with your phone bruh? I mean it wasn't until my GNexus hit the 3yr mark that the infamous no TRIM bug really slowed the phone down and by that time I got an S6 which is more responsive than most people's computers especially with having to read 4k videos and play them back.

So anyone got a guess as to how long we'll have to wait to see this stuff end consumer side or is this another "hey we're making this awesome tech but its really just another research project that won't make it to market"?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts