Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intel's recent demonstration of a 28-core processor running at 5GHz has certainly stirred the pot here at Computex, particularly because the presentation appeared to imply this would be a shipping chip with a 5.0GHz stock speed. Unfortunately, it turns out that Intel overclocked the 28-core processor to such an extreme that it required a one-horsepower industrial water chiller. That means it took an incredibly expensive (not to mention extreme) setup to pull off the demo. You definitely won't find this type of setup on a normal desktop PC.

We met with the company last night, and while Intel didn't provide many details, a company representative explained to us that "in the excitement of the moment," the company merely "forgot" to tell the crowd that it had overclocked the system. Intel also said it isn’t targeting the gaming crowd with the new chip.
Source.

They "forgot" to mention that the chip was overclocked and also forgot to replace the gamer type background with something more appropriate. All unintentional from a mindshare point of view, of course.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
Are people really that dense to believe it was running 5ghz stock?

·
Amiga 500
3,662 Posts
It's not so much about what ppl are willing to believe,than how the actual product itself was introduced that induced all that kind of talk imo..

I guess if "bad publicity is publicity nonetheless" was their goal , they sure as rain achieved it ,lol :rolleyes:

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mindshare is a funny thing. People who don't have time to pay attention to everything that happened at Computex (can you fault them?) may have just read the headlines and, as another user posted, the Google search results worked out pretty well for Intel in this regard. Also, lots of people have no idea if there's a new manufacturing process on the horizon or not, nor do they know that Intel is having major difficulties with 10nm, so they don't know what's feasible or not, so again, can you fault them?

So, officially setting the record straight and relatively fast is sometimes the only way to achieve a similar effect to the initial one, otherwise many mainstream consumers would have just run with the incorrect perception - obviously they are not the target market for this CPU and system, but the main point of all this was mindshare - to instil in consumers the feel good sensation that they are buying their $200 CPU from the best company that can also make Bugattis.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Nobody in their right mind would think that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Dear Intel, if you're demoing an overclocked CPU
  1. Mention that it is overclocked
  2. State the type of cooling used (especially if it's a giant chiller)
  3. Maybe mention the stock frequency
  4. Cut the esports/progamer nonsense
But i'll be able to play all my games at 4K 144fps on ultra while streaming at 4k and walking my dog while riding a bike in a swimming pool! Think of the things made possible by this monumental amazing CPU never before possible!

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,179 Posts
I stopped at 'chilled'. Not sure why we need another thread. Let's give the attention hoarder more attention.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
In the cinebench screenshot, i believe i see 2.7GHZ, so I believe that is the ES chip, aiming for potentially 3.2Ghz stock, 3.7 all core Turbo.
Thats my guess.

Best part, they are running a RX570 in that rig

·
Overclocker
3,761 Posts
Yes, yes they are. In those who do not posses the ability of critical thinking only see things as black and white. Intel demo'd a 28 core cpu at 5GHz. No other information required. See that, black and white. Now 'they" get to mix the 2 colors and come up with their version of a "grey area" scenario. Such as, "I must be able to do that on my stock HSF because Intel did it".

Fanboyism is not just a phenomenon its a disease.

·
Overclocker in training
14,085 Posts
Mindshare is a funny thing. People who don't have time to pay attention to everything that happened at Computex (can you fault them?) may have just read the headlines and, as another user posted, the Google search results worked out pretty well for Intel in this regard. Also, lots of people have no idea if there's a new manufacturing process on the horizon or not, nor do they know that Intel is having major difficulties with 10nm, so they don't know what's feasible or not, so again, can you fault them?

So, officially setting the record straight and relatively fast is sometimes the only way to achieve a similar effect to the initial one, otherwise many mainstream consumers would have just run with the incorrect perception - obviously they are not the target market for this CPU and system, but the main point of all this was mindshare - to instil in consumers the feel good sensation that they are buying their $200 CPU from the best company that can also make Bugattis.
Hi,
$200 cpu where :)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Lol so it’s a bad thing to overclock a CPU now?
if you present it as a stock chip, never mention you're running a 1 horsepower industrial water chilling unit (a part that can cost up to 1000-2000) on their water loop to keep it functioning while heavily implying this was a "stock" setup?

Yeah, I'd say that was important information.

furthermore if you do the math, and some people have, this isn't a "new" cpu, this is an unlocked and binned Xeon Platinum 8176, in fact it's even running on the same type of board the Xeon P8176 runs on. they simply re-boxed the unit, overclocked it with an industrial chilling unit and called it a new product.

The motherboard, socket and cpu don't even exist as presented by intel.

as a sidenote the xp8176 retailed for over 8K. About the only thing we'll be getting (if this product ever hits the shelf) will likely be a massively price reduced version.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
The chiller was so tiny ofc intel forgot to mention it...

Attachments

·
2,327 Posts
This is the same company that was showing a game "running" in VLC player. Kinda expected really, their shady tactics never change.

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
if you present it as a stock chip, never mention you're running a 1 horsepower industrial water chilling unit (a part that can cost up to 1000-2000) on their water loop to keep it functioning while heavily implying this was a "stock" setup?
"1 horsepower industrial water chilling unit" and "stock chip" are mutually exclusive. With existing i9s breaking 300W below 5GHz I'm not sure why one would come to the conclusion that a 5GHz all-core turbo or baseclock is possible.

Also AMD already beat them to the poorly-advertised, excessively power-hungry 5GHz chip. I still want an FX-9590 to mess with lol.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,581 Posts
"1 horsepower industrial water chilling unit" and "stock chip" are mutually exclusive. With existing i9s breaking 300W below 5GHz I'm not sure why one would come to the conclusion that a 5GHz all-core turbo or baseclock is possible.

Also AMD already beat them to the poorly-advertised, excessively power-hungry 5GHz chip. I still want an FX-9590 to mess with lol.
The difference is you can pick up a 9590 and a good 990FX board for under $300 and they're effectively unkillable even if you try to do so.

I have a feeling that this chip is somewhat easier to kill. And likely cost 15x as much.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts