Overclock.net banner

[TH] Intel: We 'Forgot' to Mention 28-Core, 5-GHz CPU Demo Was Overclocked

9K views 56 replies 42 participants last post by  Desolutional 
#1 ·
Intel's recent demonstration of a 28-core processor running at 5GHz has certainly stirred the pot here at Computex, particularly because the presentation appeared to imply this would be a shipping chip with a 5.0GHz stock speed. Unfortunately, it turns out that Intel overclocked the 28-core processor to such an extreme that it required a one-horsepower industrial water chiller. That means it took an incredibly expensive (not to mention extreme) setup to pull off the demo. You definitely won't find this type of setup on a normal desktop PC.

We met with the company last night, and while Intel didn't provide many details, a company representative explained to us that "in the excitement of the moment," the company merely "forgot" to tell the crowd that it had overclocked the system. Intel also said it isn’t targeting the gaming crowd with the new chip.
Source.

They "forgot" to mention that the chip was overclocked and also forgot to replace the gamer type background with something more appropriate. All unintentional from a mindshare point of view, of course.

See less See more
#6 ·
Nobody in their right mind would think that.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, yes they are. In those who do not posses the ability of critical thinking only see things as black and white. Intel demo'd a 28 core cpu at 5GHz. No other information required. See that, black and white. Now 'they" get to mix the 2 colors and come up with their version of a "grey area" scenario. Such as, "I must be able to do that on my stock HSF because Intel did it".

Fanboyism is not just a phenomenon its a disease.

#4 ·
It's not so much about what ppl are willing to believe,than how the actual product itself was introduced that induced all that kind of talk imo..

I guess if "bad publicity is publicity nonetheless" was their goal , they sure as rain achieved it ,lol :rolleyes:

#5 · (Edited)
Mindshare is a funny thing. People who don't have time to pay attention to everything that happened at Computex (can you fault them?) may have just read the headlines and, as another user posted, the Google search results worked out pretty well for Intel in this regard. Also, lots of people have no idea if there's a new manufacturing process on the horizon or not, nor do they know that Intel is having major difficulties with 10nm, so they don't know what's feasible or not, so again, can you fault them?

So, officially setting the record straight and relatively fast is sometimes the only way to achieve a similar effect to the initial one, otherwise many mainstream consumers would have just run with the incorrect perception - obviously they are not the target market for this CPU and system, but the main point of all this was mindshare - to instil in consumers the feel good sensation that they are buying their $200 CPU from the best company that can also make Bugattis.

#12 ·
Mindshare is a funny thing. People who don't have time to pay attention to everything that happened at Computex (can you fault them?) may have just read the headlines and, as another user posted, the Google search results worked out pretty well for Intel in this regard. Also, lots of people have no idea if there's a new manufacturing process on the horizon or not, nor do they know that Intel is having major difficulties with 10nm, so they don't know what's feasible or not, so again, can you fault them?

So, officially setting the record straight and relatively fast is sometimes the only way to achieve a similar effect to the initial one, otherwise many mainstream consumers would have just run with the incorrect perception - obviously they are not the target market for this CPU and system, but the main point of all this was mindshare - to instil in consumers the feel good sensation that they are buying their $200 CPU from the best company that can also make Bugattis.
Hi,
$200 cpu where :)

#8 ·
But i'll be able to play all my games at 4K 144fps on ultra while streaming at 4k and walking my dog while riding a bike in a swimming pool! Think of the things made possible by this monumental amazing CPU never before possible!

#9 ·
I stopped at 'chilled'. Not sure why we need another thread. Let's give the attention hoarder more attention.

#10 ·
In the cinebench screenshot, i believe i see 2.7GHZ, so I believe that is the ES chip, aiming for potentially 3.2Ghz stock, 3.7 all core Turbo.
Thats my guess.

Best part, they are running a RX570 in that rig

#32 ·
They ran out of cash paying for the chiller and the electricity bill :D

#14 · (Edited)
if you present it as a stock chip, never mention you're running a 1 horsepower industrial water chilling unit (a part that can cost up to 1000-2000) on their water loop to keep it functioning while heavily implying this was a "stock" setup?

Yeah, I'd say that was important information.

furthermore if you do the math, and some people have, this isn't a "new" cpu, this is an unlocked and binned Xeon Platinum 8176, in fact it's even running on the same type of board the Xeon P8176 runs on. they simply re-boxed the unit, overclocked it with an industrial chilling unit and called it a new product.

The motherboard, socket and cpu don't even exist as presented by intel.

as a sidenote the xp8176 retailed for over 8K. About the only thing we'll be getting (if this product ever hits the shelf) will likely be a massively price reduced version.

#15 ·
The chiller was so tiny ofc intel forgot to mention it...

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Wasn't that meant to be a 7 phase chiller or something to? I remember seeing somewhere it was something completely over the top.

Let's also not forget it was on an insane motherboard (which will probably never be mass produced) and the CPU was pulling 500w...

Edit, I'll also just leave this here:

#17 ·
This is the same company that was showing a game "running" in VLC player. Kinda expected really, their shady tactics never change.

#24 ·
Intel hasn't really released anything innovative is years, pretty much all the CPU's since Sandy Bridge have been the same thing with slight bumps in speed while needing more and more extreme cooling because of the stupid way the heat spreader is connected to the die.

Also let's not forget how badly Spectre and Meltdown hit Intel CPU's, even ones going back to Sandy are hit by it...

It's got to be way over 500w

Linus had the 7980XE 4.9Ghz @ 1.35 and was pulling 845w from the wall. der8auer was pulling over 1000w with 5.5Ghz @ 1.45v.

Well according to the press who seen the actual system it was using a 1600w PSU and that cooler was 1770w, that is an insane amount of power. CPU was probably putting out at least 1200w if not more.

#30 ·
Bottom line, Intel can do nothing right. Even if they try, they will be hunted, hounded, and stocked for every possible slight period.

I mean they where talking to professionals at a computer conference. It is not like the covered up anything.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/12893/image591.jpg

You can clearly see from the test it says 28 cores, 56 threads @ wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...2.7 GHz.

And you would expect professionals to understand how computers work. Should they have said "overclocked", yes. But would it have stop the media from posting increasingly sloppy reporting then getting caught blaming the favorite whipping boy.

It is not their sloppy reporting of what they saw, it was intel from not sitting them down, treating them like 3 year olds, and spelling out everything they are seeing.

This is a computer chip, it makes your pc "go". 5 is the number after 4 and before 6. Ghz is a frequency. Frequency is...

Nope, intel scamming everyone has to be for sure.

#33 · (Edited)
Bottom line, Intel can do nothing right. Even if they try, they will be hunted, hounded, and stocked for every possible slight period.

I mean they where talking to professionals at a computer conference. It is not like the covered up anything.

You can clearly see from the test it says 28 cores, 56 threads @ wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...2.7 GHz.

And you would expect professionals to understand how computers work. Should they have said "overclocked", yes. But would it have stop the media from posting increasingly sloppy reporting then getting caught blaming the favorite whipping boy.

It is not their sloppy reporting of what they saw, it was intel from not sitting them down, treating them like 3 year olds, and spelling out everything they are seeing.

This is a computer chip, it makes your pc "go". 5 is the number after 4 and before 6. Ghz is a frequency. Frequency is...

Nope, intel scamming everyone has to be for sure.

They were talking to the whole world live, they've got a responsibility to be as clear as possible.

They omitted that the chip was overclocked.

Add to that, they not only omitted, but hid the water chiller in a way that it couldn't even be heard (and it can get loud).

More, they put in a decorative reservoir and pump inside the case to pretend that the chip was under a regular ambient water cooled loop.

They kept the system badly lit, making even enthusiasts who know a thing or two wonder what exactly they were using to cool the chip.

The 2.7 Ghz result? Could have been anything, including an existing Xeon Platinum CPU with the clocks being misread by Cinebench, since they didn't talk about it, so if anybody wants to make the correspondence and say that it was the same chip but at stock, it's at your discretion, which is always nice, since Intel doesn't have to say a word, it's all implied and they can then later say the opposite and nobody can say they are wrong.

Let me just put here a quote from the AnandTech article about this:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12932/intel-confirms-some-details-about-28core-5-ghz-demonstration

We were told that it was not intended to showcase the cooling on the stage due to time constraints, to which we responded that Intel’s implementation of pre-overclocked systems in the past are typically accompanied a discussion on the pre-overclocked nature and the cooling used in the past, yet this presentation did not have this.
Bold for emphasis.

#31 ·
Cinebench doesn't always show the right clock speed.

Intel should've said it was overclocked but the way they did this made it seem like it was 5GHz stock, those of us with brains question that instantly.

At the end of the day it's probably exactly as Jim said, Intel wanted to showcase this "28 core running at 5GHz" to steal the spotlight away from AMD's Threadripper 2 reveal, they've done things like this in the past.

#39 ·
Intel also forgot to mention they are using an industrial chiller to super cool the amazing one of a kind quality silicon used in this chip. Intel forgets just about everything when it comes to honesty and integrity.

#42 · (Edited)
I guess the only way Intel will be able to claw themselves back into the HEDT market now is by releasing consumer 2 socket boards - and even then they would have to deal with much larger latency than TR 2 magic glue.

Either that, or a massive price cut.

#43 ·
This might have been the best computex yet. Intel magic show is pretty entertaining.

There loosing there over powering mindshare, and with that the ablitiy to sell less then stellar product.

Its sad to watch them scramble though and pull off bogus stunts in attempt to keep things going.

#45 ·
Glad AMD is competing again but we can't look down at Intel's achievements. Intel's 14nm process surprises me every day! 5Ghz using a phase change on all 28 cores is spectacular! It cracks me up seeing everyone making fun of Intel when they still have faster IPC, a better fab than their competitors with efficient processors. Before you bring up price just remember when AMD had the performance crown they also overpriced their chips.

The ThreadRipper 1950x uses 520w at 3.95Ghz while a 7980XE at 4.6Ghz uses 550w. The ln2 overclocks on the 1950x running at 5.2Ghz don't show any power draw numbers.

#47 ·
I wouldn't say 'making fun' so much as I'd say 'calling them out on exactly what they did'. If Intel had properly outlined their overclocking demonstration, nobody would be anything but impressed at 28 cores on 5GHz, repurposed chip or no. That's not what happened, though. Intel was deceptive and underhanded, most likely because competition is pushing them closer and closer to skirting the margins of their real moneymaker chips on a platform (HEDT) they once kept comfortably separate from their enterprise line in both core count and price. Nearly everyone still acknowledges Intel's IPC lead, fabs, and efficiency. Thing is, the IPC lead is greatly reduced to the point that it's irrelevant in loads of scenarios, the fabs are struggling with 10nm, and the efficiency gap has drawn tighter than even the IPC gap. I don't think Intel is getting undue criticism on this topic, I just think that Intel doesn't get a free pass as the only real option anymore. Granted, that was the paradigm for the last five years, but that's over for now. Just like back in the day when AMD overpriced their chips. Knobbish, but no longer present reality.

#46 ·
People are bashing Intel for lying, not for making good CPUs.

Intel makes good stuff, so does AMD and Nvidia. That doesn't excuse lying to people and using scam tactics to try to steal the spotlight, lie about specs, mislead the consumer while preaching transparency, pay devs to incorporate gimp features and so on.
Each one has done something like this, Intel and Nvidia just seem to do it more often.

Intel took a cobbled together CPU to Computex which will never be available then lied about it.
If they weren't trying to hide it they'd show off the chiller. Look what our awesome CPUs can do sub ambient! They are very impressive on air but look what we did!
I'd have thought that was really cool, now it's just sad.

#51 · (Edited)
People are bashing Intel for lying, not for making good CPUs.

Intel makes good stuff, so does AMD and Nvidia. That doesn't excuse lying to people and using scam tactics to try to steal the spotlight, lie about specs, mislead the consumer while preaching transparency, pay devs to incorporate gimp features and so on.
Each one has done something like this, Intel and Nvidia just seem to do it more often.

Intel took a cobbled together CPU to Computex which will never be available then lied about it.
If they weren't trying to hide it they'd show off the chiller. Look what our awesome CPUs can do sub ambient! They are very impressive on air but look what we did!
I'd have thought that was really cool, now it's just sad.
That move was very stupid, it was obvious that the real truth will come out.It is beeter to show nothing, but "stupid Intel smart managament is much smarter lets go with burning 28 core server CPU.";)

#52 ·
Is there a video talking about the subject in english?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.