Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i would share for those that were interested.
Quote:
If you thought finishing a 26 mile marathon was hard, try finishing one while being paralyzed from the chest down and carrying around a 40 pound exoskeleton. It took her 16 days, but 32-year-old Claire Lomas completed this impossible task on May 8th as she crossed the finish line of the London Marathon to be greeted by roaring crowds and an army of balloons.
Source

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
OT: It would be interesting to see this technology become available to more people, the article is certainly inspirational.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
That is pretty inspiring. It is people like this that push the world forwards.

Qudos to her, and the engineers working on the project. I think I want a change of career.

Certain comments on this thread make me wish there was a -rep button

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Wow. Bunch of haters in here already...and we're only the 2nd page...wow

We do need a -rep button.

I can't imagine losing one of my limbs let alone, keeping them but losing the ability to use them. We take the simple things in life for-granted and losing the ability to do something would be life altering, like becoming paraplegic. +REP to her for having the will power and drive to attempt what we all see as an impossible feat for someone that's paraplegic.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
We aren't talking about how far people can run here...hello! We're talking about someone disabled using technology to complete a marathon. Those Tarahumara would be done if one of them was paraplegic for some reason...how are they gonna run if they're paraplegic? Oh wait, they can't...same case with this lady. She can't use any of her lower body till this technology helped her, she wanted to see the limit of herself and the limit of the technology.

Give it a rest people. This isn't some contest on how far people can run...

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Thread cleaned, show some respect for someone who overcame her disabilty... I have a nephew who competes in wheelchair races and I have the urge right now to take a large stick to some members...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

Erm, Ploppy, you did read the bit about her being paralyzed from the chest down right?
Of course she is not going to be able to keep up with a healthly person; the fact that she can even walk across the room without someone to help her is amazing. 26 miles is one hell of an achievement.
Not really. 435 miles in a little over 2 days is an achievement. Just because you are physically or mentally unable to perform some task doesn't make it impressive. Chasing down an antelope in the African sun is an achievement and impressive. This is not.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

Thread cleaned, show some respect for someone who overcame her disabilty... I have a nephew who competes in wheelchair races and I have the urge right now to take a large stick to some members...
Thanks, I have a few college friends that were disabled in some way. Always took time out of my schedule and helped them in any way I could. Had a few blind students too. Gosh, can't imagine being blind. Just like not being able to walk. Total game changer.

In other news...I wonder how long it'll take for major news networks to report this story...or will they even? First encouraging/positive news in quite some time.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppytheman View Post

Not really. 435 miles in a little over 2 days is an achievement. Just because you are physically or mentally unable to perform some task doesn't make it impressive. Chasing down an antelope in the African sun is an achievement and impressive. This is not.
Both are!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:

How are we even the same species?

It is a story of personal triumph. Why don't you shoot her a letter telling her that next time she musters enough will power and self-reliance to challenge herself, that she make is something impressive just for you.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
This is great the lady probly endured a ton of pain but she kept at it most people would stop befor they finished the first day by enduring the pain she probly has helped them find ways to make the suit cheaper and maybe even smaller so you can walk easyer with it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I find this amazing for many reasons, she overcome a disability and the amazing technology Argos med brings. Crysis reference anyone?

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
This is amazing! I suddenly feel their is hope for humanity! What an amazing woman, I can't imagine how hard it was for her to have completed this. Everyone involved with this is a top notch example of how we should all lead our live's. I wounder how many brilliant minds when into making the "ReWalker" a possibility. I'm so glad to see that technology is able to help people with such trivial physical disability's overcome them AND the FDA says its ok lol. We can allow the blind to see with camera's, now the paralyzed can walk and stand. One thing I noticed, the price! While its a lot for most folks in the world I find it shockingly low for the level of technology involved. When I read the thread title my first thought was "I bet that thing cost's few hundred thousand bucks to get...". Lets hope that the price of this and similar gizmo's come down so that even the less financially fortunate have a chance at one.

@Ploppytheman: You're an appalling example of how we as humans should not behave. Disgusting that you would talk down on this. This is not only and achievement for her, but for EVERYONE who has a physical disability. There is now hope that they are not doomed to a life of limitations, but rather that this is something that stregnth and persevearance will overcome(with a little help from technology mind you).

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:

This woman accomplished more in those 14 days than you probably will in your whole life. Who the hell are you to downplay her achievement and say that it's nothing. Have some respect and try growing up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts