Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
AMD's Vega is the first high-end GPU to come out of Team Red in two years, so you would think that its board partners would be quick jump in with new custom products. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. We're hearing from sources that AMD's AIB partners have found several issues with Vega chips that prevent them from creating custom cards for now.
Quote:
So what gives? Sources tell us that there is too much variance in the quality of the chips AMD is providing. AIB partners are unable to figure out a stable overclocked GPU frequency that works for all cards, and therefore cannot provide any sort of warranty on factory-tuned cards. Further, there continues to be discrepancies between the temperatures the GPU is reporting and what AIB partners are finding in actual measurements. This is true of the actual GPU and the capacitors below the GPU. We have some follow-up testing that will reveal more about these issues.
Read more about their inquiries with XFX, Sapphire, PowerColor, VisionTek, Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI at the source.

·
Overclocker
3,897 Posts
Quote:
AMD also has partnerships with Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI to build Radeon graphics cards, but these three companies don't have exclusive deals with AMD. As such, they aren't driven by necessity and have the luxury of choosing which components to support. We spoke with all three companies, and their responses indicated that their support for the Vega architecture is less definitive than AMD's exclusive partners.
folks need to know this.

·
PC Evangelist
47,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

folks need to know this.
I though this was common since they support both AMD and Nvidia. They have it good as long as one side sell and they build more of those GPUs.

·
Overclocker
3,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I though this was common since they support both AMD and Nvidia. They have it good as long as one side sell and they build more of those GPUs.
It is...but I don't like to assume that everyone knows though.

·
PC Evangelist
47,375 Posts
Quote:

It is...but I don't like to assume that everyone knows though.
That is why i mostly buy from them because if you got the true AMD partner they make a lot less money hence cheap out at the same time if AMD is not doing well.

·
Overclocker
3,897 Posts
Quote:

That is why i mostly buy from them because if you got the true AMD partner they make a lot less money hence cheap out at the same time if AMD is not doing well.
Understandable.
Is PCPartner still doing AMD"s reference designs?

I've always found that HIS seems to get the initial best chips that OC the best on MBA. Then once they sell out, they sell out for months. Then return with some custom designs. Afterwards then comes Sapphire custom coolers like the Nitro, etc. I've never heard anything good from Asus custom parts. Seems like when I hear Asus I also hear RMA associated with them. Also, does anyone use their OC'ing app over MSI A/B?
Although I think their coolers are one of the best out there.

·
PC Evangelist
47,375 Posts
Quote:

Understandable.
Is PCPartner still doing AMD"s reference designs?

I've always found that HIS seems to get the initial best chips that OC the best on MBA. Then once they sell out, they sell out for months. Then return with some custom designs. Afterwards then comes Sapphire custom coolers like the Nitro, etc. I've never heard anything good from Asus custom parts. Seems like when I hear Asus I also hear RMA associated with them. Also, does anyone use their OC'ing app over MSI A/B?
Although I think their coolers are one of the best out there.
Problem I have with Sapphire is Warranty. HIS too. I RMAed eVGA 7600GT back in the day without any problems but having to RMA HIS HD 4850 was so bad and even being a student and poor I did not do it.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Vega is starting to look more and more of a joke. The GTX 1070Ti, which released nearly a month later than it. already has a firm custom cooler from gigabyte being teased and could be released earlier.

·
Overclocker
3,897 Posts
Quote:

Problem I have with Sapphire is Warranty. HIS too. I RMAed eVGA 7600GT back in the day without any problems but having to RMA HIS HD 4850 was so bad and even being a student and poor I did not do it.
Sorry to hear that. I've not heard to many issues with HIS or Sapphire. Not to say they don't exist.

·
2,327 Posts
I think those who really wanted Vega already went AIO or WB. It's kinda niche product at this point, I doubt anyone thought "I'll wait for Vega Strix with cool RGBs, I will buy it even at $650". Hard to pretend 1080 Ti doesn't exist.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot View Post

I think those who really wanted Vega already went AIO or WB. It's kinda niche product at this point, I doubt anyone thought "I'll wait for Vega Strix with cool RGBs, I will buy it even at $650". Hard to pretend 1080 Ti doesn't exist.
I'd say that people are / were waiting for the more affordable and competitive Vega 56, at $450 tops for an AIB model.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyvida View Post

Vega is starting to look more and more of a joke. The GTX 1070Ti, which released nearly a month later than it. already has a firm custom cooler from gigabyte being teased and could be released earlier.
If the 1070Ti is a cut down 1080Ti..... why wouldn't it have an custom VRM/Cooler out for it? Partners can use the same stuff on it from its previous product. That really shocks you?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. I've not heard to many issues with HIS or Sapphire. Not to say they don't exist.
They are good bang for buck as long as they work. But they have particularly crap warranty conditions last I read them. For Sapphire, for example, the warranty is void the second stock cooler comes off for the first time - i.e., they find that you re-pasted your card they can void your warranty. even if the problem you are having has nothing to do with the temperatures. Not to mention if you have actually used an aftermarket cooler like, for example, custom loop.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

They are good bang for buck as long as they work. But they have particularly crap warranty conditions last I read them. For Sapphire, for example, the warranty is void the second stock cooler comes off for the first time - i.e., they find that you re-pasted your card they can void your warranty. even if the problem you are having has nothing to do with the temperatures. Not to mention if you have actually used an aftermarket cooler like, for example, custom loop.
I'd include the one year only warranty on reference cards as well. Everyone else does two just like their aftermarket models, but no Sapphire gotta be different.

Those two reasons on the warranty alone make me steer far clear of anything Sapphire.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post

I'd include the one year only warranty on reference cards as well. Everyone else does two just like their aftermarket models, but no Sapphire gotta be different.

Those two reasons on the warranty alone make me steer far clear of anything Sapphire.
That might be specific to US market because this is the first time I hear that. Then again in EU every electronic device sold has minimum on 2 years warranty by law.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniflex View Post

That might be specific to US market because this is the first time I hear that. Then again in EU every electronic device sold has minimum on 2 years warranty by law.
^.

I've processed two Sapphire warranties (for HD5870s) and they both went through no worries... Second time around I even got a 6950 in exchange.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts