·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Gah, my van is all cut-off D:

E: OK so following=subscriptions now

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Nah, there are phones that come without bloatware. The ones that come with bloatware, it's typically possible to remove it.
The Google Nexus/Pixel devices have little to no bloatware. As is true of the OnePlus devices. If you want to see bloatware look at a carrier locked Samsung Galaxy S5. Those were the worst I've ever seen for unwanted crap that you can't easily remove.

·
Ever Forward.
6,515 Posts
Muh pumpkins

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
The vulnerability isn't he issue, the bloatware they included that was impossible to get rid of is the problem there.
You can get rid of it.
10USD programmer can do it.
Or purchase without OS.

Violates warranty ?
Rooting the phone in order to remove bloatware is also often violating warranty anyway.
Not that I care, I purchase chinese phones so warranty is nonexistent anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,626 Posts

Wonder what gender apocalyptic orange signifies.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
You can get rid of it.
10USD programmer can do it.
Or purchase without OS.

Violates warranty ?
Rooting the phone in order to remove bloatware is also often violating warranty anyway.
Not that I care, I purchase chinese phones so warranty is nonexistent anyway.
The bloatware was installed in the BIOS. Doesn't matter how many times you formatted the computers, it would always re-install. Even without an internet connection.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
The bloatware was installed in the BIOS. Doesn't matter how many times you formatted the computers, it would always re-install. Even without an internet connection.
But did they install it on all bios versions ?
The windows key if the PC had one preinstalled is usually within the bios somewhere.
Question would be if they also added the bloatware on laptops sold without the OS.

I never had any trouble with my 2014 Lenovo.
Either it doesn't work on Win7 or I don't have bios bloatware at all.

If it's purely a bios thing then it would be possible to delete it from the bios and just flash it through normal software tools.
Some stuff cannot be deleted that way (eg. wi-fi card whitelist) and requires a hardware solution, the mentioned programmer.
But otherwise fairly doable. It's not as hard as people think.
Making a PC post and run without an actual physical GPU is in fact possible by adding a GPU bios to the motherboard bios.
I recall a guide on a certain forum that explained the process in detail, for reducing power consumption of mining machines and servers.

My brother has a brand new Lenovo and there are no issues there as well.
Did a fresh Win10 install and no bloatware.

I purchased a full set of industrial grade hardware.
Siemens S7 1200 PLC
Yaskawa 3 phase 200W inverter
120W 3 phase motor
And an indicator panel off some soviet military thing.
It was fairly cheap and I get a solid 24 indicator matrix for use with my setup.
Paid roughly 15USD or so for it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Muh pumpkins

[snip]
Looking nice! (y)

Speaking of lenovos, my roommate just fixed mine. Screen was blanking out. He took it apart and found that the backlight grounding screw was loose. I've had like 5 screws fall out of that thing already, 4 of which had blue locktite. Since the panel was yellowing in a spot he went ahead and swapped it for one from a brokenish laptop he had, which was color corrected. Man what a difference!

I need a new keyboard and new speakers as well. And I am extremely not-hard on electronics. So, that should tell you what crap they are.

In other news, I have most likely developed an Alpha-gal allergy. I've had three reactions after eating beef. Interestingly not to ham or milk yet. So I guess I'll got to the doc and get a diagnosis. I'm not a big red meat eater, so if I have to avoid it for 3 to 5 years, I'll be ok. Hopefully I can keep eating cheeze.

Damn tick. :(

·
Ever Forward.
6,515 Posts
Looking nice! (y)

Speaking of lenovos, my roommate just fixed mine. Screen was blanking out. He took it apart and found that the backlight grounding screw was loose. I've had like 5 screws fall out of that thing already, 4 of which had blue locktite. Since the panel was yellowing in a spot he went ahead and swapped it for one from a brokenish laptop he had, which was color corrected. Man what a difference!

I need a new keyboard and new speakers as well. And I am extremely not-hard on electronics. So, that should tell you what crap they are.

In other news, I have most likely developed an Alpha-gal allergy. I've had three reactions after eating beef. Interestingly not to ham or milk yet. So I guess I'll got to the doc and get a diagnosis. I'm not a big red meat eater, so if I have to avoid it for 3 to 5 years, I'll be ok. Hopefully I can keep eating cheeze.

Damn tick. :(
Only complaint with the Ideapad 330s, have bought three of them. All the screws back out and have to be tightened every few months. Y70-70 has been solid the 5 years I’ve had it. Didn’t have to replace the motherboard under warranty though.

Yikes. Thankfully don’t have to worry about ticks here, occasionally some get imported on pets but die off.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
Good thing this type of tick is limited to North America.
It would suck not beeing able to eat meat or cheese.
I hope you get well.

This is exactly what I got for my small "control system" set.
It's faded out but once I light it up I should be able to identify where this thing came from.

I also hope that the inverter won't be fussy about running on single phase instead of three.
While I can disable phase loss detection then a higher ripple may trigger other errors.
Good thing I have a box full of 400V electrolytics. I can just increase the capacity to reduce the problem.
I looked up the documentation for the inverter and the model I bought was destined for Japanese market.
It's actually made in Japan so it should be excellent quality.

Siemens PLC I only purchased because there's a discount for students, nothing else.
I don't really like working on Siemens PLC's but that's about as low as you can go when it comes to price on industrial grade hardware.
Lower than that you can only get some chinese programmable relays.

·
Dogs! They're good!
866 Posts
Siemens has a bunch of ranges, their LOGO! PLC's aren't exactly industrial grade

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
That's why I jumped at the cheapest industrial grade thing they had.
S7-1200
With a student discount it costed me roughly 160USD (~3.75PLN/USD).

We have those on university but everyone prefers General Electric RX3i.
Only masochists prefer to work on the Siemens.
Those things are easy to work with.
A basic kit like ones on my university cost roughly 1200USD or so on a discount.
So it's well over what I could spend on what is basically a learning material.

The software is so much better than TIA portal.

One CAD design teacher on my university said
"American software is so easy it can be operated by monkeys".
I agree with it.

Other teachers also prefer general electric over siemens.
Primarly because of software used for programming and debugging.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
S7-1200

A basic kit like ones on my university cost roughly 1200USD or so on a discount.

I agree with it.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Monkeys lack the focus needed to stay on task.

·
Typo Elemental
3,215 Posts
Oh neat. I have no idea where anything is on this platform lol

·
Dogs! They're good!
866 Posts
S7-1200

I agree with it.

TIA portal is the devil's software

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hi

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
'Ello.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
You make that sound like a bad thing.
The teacher meant that if a monkey can use it then students shouldn't have any trouble using it.
But then there's also the image (saying it lightly) that americans are not the brightest people so the software has to be simple to use.

My experience with US-made software has been rather good.
Programming the RX3i was fairly straightforward.
Both Autocad and Eagle are easy to operate.
If anything I did have some trouble with matlab.
Why on earth does this thing use Java ?
For massive simulations there are memory leaks everywhere (memory is not free after the calculations are over).
After 2-3 runs I had to forcefully close the process to reset it. When closed normally there was still a process taking up memory.

I would say the documentation for many IC's or devices is top notch too.
Everything explained in a simple language and even basics are explained.
I used a 1965 Tektronix curve tracer service manual as my reference on how does curve tracers work when writing my thesis.

The absolute worst I would say is the Soviet documentation.
It's a mess. To understand certain schematics you would need several catalogs to look up part numbers.
When repairing the RF generator one modulator module was not on the schematic.
So I had to search for a separate paper to get the schematic for it.

Main problem with US made stuff is price and availability.
First one makes using american parts extremely expensive, I prefer chinese equivalents or ripoffs.
Second is that a lot of those parts are hard to obtain in europe.
Mostly through american Digikey which doesn't like small orders.
Either the order is expensive or the shipping will be.

TME (a polish distributor popular in europe) has far better shipping costs.
It's a polish company so within poland the shipping is very cheap.
Even for global shipping it's still like 3-4 times cheaper than Digikey.

With software the pricing is the main problem.
Region adjusted pricing would be good to have, as there's 4-5x income disparity.
At best we get 10-15% off (eg. Steam) and they call it fair pricing.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
In some parts of the U.S. there is the common belief that "My ignorance is as good as your knowledge and experience"

I've heard it's most commonly associated with the south but that may be due to the south Vs. north rivalry that's been going on since our civil war.

42381 - 42400 of 42467 Posts