42421 - 42440 of 42462 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #42,422

White theme is too bright, dark theme is too dark. Things are too high contrasted with no color dividers between posts... ugh.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts

White theme is too bright, dark theme is too dark. Things are too high contrasted with no color dividers between posts... ugh.
It's fine for me on my laptop.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #42,425
ok

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
It works.

You should really use those Nvidia, instead of using rotary converters.
Basic models (no digital control) on the used market are very cheap.

Buy three phase VFD but run on single.
It doesn't really matter as most have DC input available.
What does matter is that three phase models are cheaper and more abundant on the used market.

Difference between single and three phase version is just an extra capacitor.
I can add it by connecting it to DC terminals as taking apart and soldering the missing capacitor would void the warranty.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
Neat. I had a lot of fun modding three phase DC motors on electric bikes. Can accelerate quicker than a lamborghini with a crystalyte HS3548 motor.
___
I've played 21 straight days of Battlefield 4. Still nowhere near an expert at it because that comes at 10,000 hours.

·
red dawn
808 Posts
Doesn't mean I agree with it.

US was a free country as well as massive public and private investments.
Poland had 45 years of communism which didn't like advancements in the tech field. It was mainly the domain of USSR.
Planned economy required countries to share the market. Say USSR is making trains, Poland boats, Hungary buses etc.
If USSR says "you make this computer" then you make it, not much room for other western copycats (in this case IBM 360) or your own development.
There was the ЕС ЭВМ standard and computers had to follow it.
Over here the computer revolution happened in the 90's, before that it was mainly outdated tech only accessible to fortunate few.
Even in the 90's it was mainly 80's personal computers flooding from the west.

USSR while not keeping up with the west had more money and resources.
Computers were more common.
Those are the folks who helped out Intel in the 90's (look up who was working on Pentium and Itanium CPU's).
Also Russia seems to have excellent hackers.
Product of decades of education focused on STEM field.
Soviet countries in general had fairly high standards in education back then.
Elementary school had level similar to a modern High school.
You would have to go through some books from that period to notice how much was removed over the years.
I learned calculus from a 1959 book and was amazed by how good it was.

Nowadays the STEM field is underfunded.
My brother who studies law has much more funding than I do.
Scholarships, competitions with high prizes, you name it.

I don't have those, which is why I purchase my own test equipment in order to learn.
Even the available scholarschips (I only have one available) either pay nothing or are funded by a company (through 4 years I recall two).
That is you finish the studies and you are forced to work there for some time or you have to pay back 80% of it.

The funding problem was noticeable even at school level.
I entered a physics competiton and managed to reach the finale.
It was a competition at a regional level.
Prizes fund was whole 300PLN IIRC (90USD or so at the time).
Divide that on top 10 (who did get something) and you get nothing. Some lame stuff like a book and pendrive.
But hey, at least my photo and name are hanging in the school "hall of fame".

For say poetry competition it was a different story.
Laptops, tablets, digital cameras, you name it.
They could win amazing stuff.

Which is why I kind of dislike the humanist field.
Getting all the money but giving almost nothing in return.
Save for several "special" fields most end up doing jobs which are not even remotely connected to their field of study.
My dude, hate to tell ya but I don't think anyone here even reads your pages long repies/posts since like 5 years ago lol

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
boomer I hardly know her

·
Ever Forward.
6,515 Posts
Here we go again boys.

·
Super Moderator
3,624 Posts
Demons Souls remake coming to PC

Hopefully they don't mean in the same way that Bloodborne did.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
Neat. I had a lot of fun modding three phase DC motors on electric bikes. Can accelerate quicker than a lamborghini with a crystalyte HS3548 motor.
DC motors have really high stall torque, higher than AC induction motors.
Those things can really pull forward.
Nowadays there's Vector control for induction motors, which can help them achieve the properties of DC motors.
Speed and torque can be controlled separately, just like in a DC motor with separate field coil.

Induction motors have two important properties which makes them so popular.
Price, they are cheap for the power.
It's all aluminium, steel and copper (or also aluminium if the motor is very cheap).
No rare earth magnets.
Also hard to kill.
No hall sensors, commutators or anything that can break down, other than bearings.

This VFD has just everything.
PID regulator, various protections, scalar/vector control and a ton of other functions.
As expected of high-end Yaskawa.

I read them. I'm a boomer though.
The concept of boomers is kind of a nonexistent thing in former eastern bloc.
There was no prosperous economy after the war.
But it depends on how you define it.

You could get a flat from the state (several years in a waiting line), free holidays in a factory-owned resort for workers and their children, the jobs were often rather lax.
But then you couldn't afford a lot of stuff.
Car, TV were luxurious items, meat was also sometimes considered a luxury food.
Foreign as well as "internal export" (made in the country but meant for export to the west) goods could only be purchased using USD, not PLN.
This way the communists could get the much needed hard currency USD from the population.
USD was only available on the black market, by having relatives living in the west or working (legally or illegally) in the west.

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
These 4 hour meetings are a killer -_-

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
At my old work I was amazed to learn that I got paid to sit and listen to people talk at meetings. Longest I recall ever having was 3 hours for some serious portion of our project, and we had breaks and cookies to make it easier to deal with.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
Honestly I would prefer a more "physical" work rather than meetings.
Building, repairing or designing.

In reality it's not as bright and this particular marking is clearly visible.
Half of those light bulbs are gone and most markings are unreadable at this point (checked the mask under weaker light source).
I would have to buy new bulbs or DIY an LED replacement.
Also a new marking mask on some transparent foil, at least those can be printed on a normal colour printer.

·
Still here...
2,808 Posts
The concept of boomers is kind of a nonexistent thing in former eastern bloc.
There was no prosperous economy after the war.
But it depends on how you define it.

You could get a flat from the state (several years in a waiting line), free holidays in a factory-owned resort for workers and their children, the jobs were often rather lax.
But then you couldn't afford a lot of stuff.
Car, TV were luxurious items, meat was also sometimes considered a luxury food.
Foreign as well as "internal export" (made in the country but meant for export to the west) goods could only be purchased using USD, not PLN.
This way the communists could get the much needed hard currency USD from the population.
USD was only available on the black market, by having relatives living in the west or working (legally or illegally) in the west.
Funny you should mention that as I just finished watching HBO's excellent series Chernobyl for a second time. Though I didn't make it to the East in Europe during my time in the military there, one of my German landlords had an uncle that visited from East Germany a couple of times while I was stationed in that part of Germany. Being fluent in German, I got to learn all the nuances (especially the cultural ones).

Btw, I was in Southern Germany (between Augsburg and Ulm) when Chernobyl blew its top. That was early May, 1986. From what I've read these days, a sizable portion of Europe got hit with varying amounts of cesium (among other radioactive fallout), including Poland.

·
Eastern Bloc Electronics
1,623 Posts
Poland was one soviet country that did try to protect people from radiation, against USSR will.
Lugol's iodine was served to the population (kids in particular).
It was an overreaction (later it was calculated that it wasn't really needed) but better safe than sorry as there was no data from USSR.

Chernobyl is also somewhat overblown.
The HBO series did copy some of the myths.
USSR covering the indcident lead to various overblown estimates.

And it's not the first time.
It happened many times.
Good example would be MiG-25 where the west believed that the fighter was much better and advanced than it was in reality.
Sometimes it was the other way around like with U2 or much later F117 in Yugoslavia, but those are rather rare cases.
Such overblown reactions were needed to fuel the fear and funding for military spending.
Even if USSR was to speak the truth then no one would believe.

If you ever want to have a "true" soviet experience then visit Transnistria or Belarus (if they won't overthrow Lukashenko that is).
Belarus still has a lot of government-owned stuff and state owned farms so it's about as close as you can get to soviet times.
Transnistria is all about soviet symbols still beeing maintained as well as parades etc.
It's a breakaway Moldova region that is unrecognised and protected by the russian army.
There are some tours organised there.

This region is also interesting because there are leftovers of the polish-lithuanian commonwealth there.
We were quite a big country back then.
Territories got disconnected in 1772 during the first partition.
Local people having polish surnames, some ruins as well as a small Polish community.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,870 Posts
What about the peoples in the Ukraine that are fighting a full out war with Russia. And Russia is only barely taking it seriously, yet the Ukraine people are getting killed constantly. I feel like a lot of people don't think it's a real war...but I watched one soldier's live stream and the artillery that came down was definitely real.

·
Ever Forward.
6,515 Posts
At my old work I was amazed to learn that I got paid to sit and listen to people talk at meetings. Longest I recall ever having was 3 hours for some serious portion of our project, and we had breaks and cookies to make it easier to deal with.
I may or may not have fallen asleep through several calls. Half the time I don’t even have to be on it. The training calls are the worse, zero need to interact or for it to even be a call in the first place. Two hour video conference for Air Canada for the 737-Max, which was just watching a PowerPoint while a dude talked about information that is common across basically every aircraft type in the world.

42421 - 42440 of 42462 Posts