Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Plan:

The tools: Medium size philips. Electrical tape/tube tape/duck tape.

The parts: Large UNBROKEN SEALED bike tube. Extra medium-small tube if it's not long enough.

And finally, the 120v fan. You know those older things you use to beat the cake? Stick two of the prongs in and it turns. Well, I found one in my storage. I took the bottom off and noticed it was like a 1/2 foot motor. Going to take the bottom off, put a hose near the fan/motor, plug the other end into the back of my computer for an extra little push!

Here are the pictures so far...

Testing begins in a few minutes.

EDIT: Who thinks it's going to blow up in my face :sad:

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Why a bike tube? They don't like extreme changes in temp. I think you might be better off with 1" PVC pipe.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
LOL..your room might still get cold...LOL

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think i know what you are doing, but your pictures are horrendously confusing. Do you mean to put a blender outside your house with a fan pushing air through a tube through your wall and into your case? That's all I can gather from what I see there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up putting it right by my computer because the tube wasn't long enough.

Was just for fun, nothing permanent =P. Not really a lot of air flow going through the tube, dropped my gpu card by about 2 degrees for the charge that I can't even hear my speakers!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I could get a long enough hose and if I can get it to fit right on top of the vent, it would be sweet. But it's getting only a little bit more air flow then a 80mm at 60%.

If I can fit it across the hole vent... and have it in the next room, it would be awesome. Way to loud to be in here XD.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll break it down for you.

Blender > makes a lot of air (huge fan/motor). Air automatically comes out of the vent in the bottom of the blender. I attached a hose to that vent and it takes the air through the hose into the back of my computer. A 120v fan.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Essy
View Post

I'll break it down for you.

Blender > makes a lot of air (huge fan/motor). Air automatically comes out of the vent in the bottom of the blender. I attached a hose to that vent and it takes the air through the hose into the back of my computer. A 120v fan.

Lawl. Thats not very efficient.

·
Registered
825 Posts
well dudes,you cant try to push 1k cfm trough a pipe,because that pipe isnt wide enough to let the air go trough,ending up with the problem of air build up that causes the whole thing to blow air in the wrong direction because a fan isnt a compressor,eventually when the pressure in the tube exxeceds the tubes ability to let air trough the outcome of air will be very very limited and after a while air that was blowen inside the tube by the fan will start hitting on the fan it self,and in some case's it even might ruin it self.
if you really want to make a killer cooling solution that if you air at your self youll be beated up by "air flow" then try to have the tube just 1 third as wide as the fan your trying to blow air with

making it 3 times the air pressure and speed,but thats about the max you can get without planning it REALLY really carefully
i doupt your an advanced PHD physic guy lol

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Gotta hand it to you for the effort

·
Registered
143 Posts
A mixer motor is usually not made to be run continously. Not to mention the fan usually cools the motor. You'll either have warm air from the unit "heating" up your components* or a burned out motor after a while.

Probably should have picked up a cheap bathroom ventilator and some ducting.

*> The original ATX specification, when it first came out, stated that the fan in the power supply was supposed to blow air into the computer case and through a set of vents in the PSU cover that would be right next to the processor. Since this would result in a stream of warm air from the inside of a toasty power supply going into the case, most manufacturers decided to ignore the spec and stay with the "exhaust" fan design instead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.