Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ATi 4850 club version 2.0

Hey everyone! I've seen a lot of clubs in this forum about lots of hardware (q6600, asus m2n boards, general Ati and nvidia cards, etc.) so it really surprised me the lack of a club dedicated to which I consider the best video card (not the most powerful, mind you) we've been graced with so far.

Of course I'm referring to ATi Radeon HD4850.

Whether you are an Ati fan (member of the RED TIDE as it may
), nvidia one or even neutral, there's a lot to love about this Card.

Being the most powerful GDDR3 solution ATi has currently to offer, it took the market by surprise after an almost indisputable market domination by the aging geforce 8 series from nvidia, offering enthusiast level graphics to a much more affordable mid-end market.

Having the nvidia GT200 chip just been released at rather exorbitant prices, the 4850 launch made the "graphics king" sit up and take notice and quickly take measures to compete against a card that was obviously meant to be the beggining of ATi's comeback in the form of the R700 GPUs. These changes included reducing the price of the 9800GTX and the launch of the 9800GTX+, as well as eventual (and very significant) price reductions for the GT200 series.

The purpose of this club, as with all others... would be to talk about this awesome card (and brag a little while we're at it), posting your 3dmark scores and experiences using games and other applications as well as overclocking, while at the same time providing help to those who have doubts about it.
I consider this necessary since posts about the 4850 seem to be all over the place and this helps organising a little bit.

Technical details (may vary depending on the manufacturer)

Interface: PCI Express 2.0 x16
Core clock: 625MHz (default)
Stream Processors: 800
Memory Clock: 1986MHz (default)
Memory Size 512MB (default)
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX 10.1 - OpenGL 2.0
Ports
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
CrossFire Supported Yes
Cooler With Fan
Dual-Link DVI Supported
HDCP Ready
Features
2nd Generation 55nm GPU Solution
HDMI Output

General reviews (other web sites):
Anandtech
Arstechnica
HD4850 versus 9800GTX+:
Legit Reviews
Crossfire Review:
Tweak Town
Compare prices for the card:
NewEgg: Radeon 4850 Price list

Join today and prove the world what the current king of price-performance can do!

Note: Added a few things to make the club more flashy based on what I've seen elswhere. Don't expect this to be frequent

Note2: There are lots of data missing. If those who have already joined want to update their current info let me know.

Club Status (new):
Members (83)
Max Overclock: ZealotKi11er @860/1175
Average Overclock: 761/1153
Most popular brand: Sapphire
Total Crossfire: 11
Total PencilModded: 20

Club Members (new):

Generic Benchmarks (From anandtech.com. You can access to the original article in the previous link)

As a bonus I have a link to a site that has a few 1680x1050 wallpapers about this card (I won't post it here myself since I didn't make it). If you have others please share them:
http://foros.3dgames.com.ar/hardware...made-casa.html
Site is in spanish btw

On User request (and because I was planning on doing it eventually
) I've added the tag for the club members. Put it in your sig now and show everyone that you're a proud member of the ati 4850 community!!
:

Code:

Code:
[CODE]
[center]:thumb:[b][url="http://www.overclock.net/ati/410380-ati-4850-club-version-2-0-a.html"] Member of the ATI 4850 Club[/url] [/b]:thumb:[/center]
[/CODE]

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
may i be the first member?

(sorry for the poor image - the light bulb is right above my bed...)

i leave her at stock and haven't OCed her because i'm pretty happy with her ingame performance. by golly, does she fly with AA and DX10.1
. the only thing i don't like is she doesn't work as well as my old 8800GT in Linux, but meh. can't wait to get another and Crossfire them

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Iv got 2 4850's =)

Pic for proof.
EDIT: ill give you my clock speed info and all that once i get it overclocked. Ill post all the info as soon as i can.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
The HD4850 is my favorite card off all time, going back over 10 years of video card purchases. Consider me as vice-chairman for this club. Here is mine.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'll get some proof as soon as I get home...

Sign me up!

~Error

Edit: Nvm. I found one on FileSavr (lifetime 250GB ftw!) tags don't work on it...So I'll link, unless you want me to do otherwise.

[URL=http://www.filesavr.com/1001726]http://www.filesavr.com/1001726[/URL]
^^ You can see my beautiful red below the black CPU duct.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
no pics right now,hopefully this will do.
pencil modded,was 730 on core without mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamervivek
View Post

no pics right now,hopefully this will do.
pencil modded,was 730 on core without mod.

which driver do you use for 770/1100

·
Matisse
3,808 Posts
Count me in.

HIS HD 4850 with VF-1000 +modded stock heatsink

Stock for now. Will update.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by manuelarroyo1
View Post

which driver do you use for 770/1100

modded the bios using RBE,it can increase the overdrive limits without causing conflicts with CCC.currently on 8.11RC1

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamikaze127
View Post

The Battery Eater is here.

Diamond HD4850 512Mb
Core - 700
Memory - 1170
No mods.
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/9nf9b/

*56k DIE Images snipped out of my own good grace

Excellent. The nVidiots don't stand a chance now.
*Dons fanboy flamesuit*

Nice clocks, btw.

~Error

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Timlander, DeckerDontPlay, I AM TEH LAW GIVAH, and our newly appointed "vice chairman" corky dorkelson, if you want to you can name your vga's brand so i'll write it down with your name. Also if there's any level of overclock you've done with it.
I also think this thread would be useful to anyone who wants opinions prior to buying this card which, again, would be a very vise choice

1 - 20 of 348 Posts