Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
California just passed legislation that will prevent employers from demanding the social media passwords of employees current and potential -- and, at the same time, prevent institutions of higher education from demanding the same of their students. Yesterday, Jerry Brown signed two bills into law. The first, AB-1844, prevents employers from asking their staff for their social media usernames or passwords (and, in another iteration, from logging into social media in their presence). The second, SB-1349, extends that protection to students at California's many private and public colleges and universities. As Brown put it in a Facebook post, "California pioneered the social media revolution. These laws protect Californians from unwarranted invasions of their social media accounts."
Source

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
We'll this is good, private lives are supposed to be that. private lives lol.

Even if I wouldnt be employed because of it, I wouldnt want to divulge that info willingly anyways.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Why was this not already illegal?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFirnz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawNeedsHelp View Post

Why was this not already illegal?
Because America has yet to discover little acts of legislation called privacy acts. Even though every other civilized country has them for the most part.
Actually, I think Cali is the first place to implement a law like this.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Actually a while ago the US supreme court turned down legislation to make this illegal. So blame our own government for allowing employers to do this. I applaud CA for fixing it. Now we just need the rest of the country to follow suit.

EDIT: I was trying to find the original article and it looks like a ton of states are doing this. Illinois passed the same law Aug 1. Good!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGhunter View Post

Actually a while ago the US supreme court turned down legislation to make this illegal. So blame our own government for allowing employers to do this. I applaud CA for fixing it. Now we just need the rest of the country to follow suit.
EDIT: I was trying to find the original article and it looks like a ton of states are doing this. Illinois passed the same law Aug 1. Good!
I'm not surprised. Just look at the current members. The youngest person in the supreme court was born in 1960. I'm surprised theses people even know what a computer is, much less what the internet is and how people use computers. Life long terms need to end. Back in the day it was rare for you to live to 50-60, where as today people live to be 100-110.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

i can't wait for someone to trot out the "if you having nothing to hide, then you shouldn't worry" argument
rolleyes.gif
Can we spell patriot act? and any one of the long list of rectum probing "security" bills passed since 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGhunter View Post

I wouldn't trust the Supreme court any further than i could throw scalia's conflict of interest, facist, lard bottom.

The bigger issue is people (ie younger people) putting everything on they do on the internet in one way or another. They have to be tought that facebook is a company not a public service.

Edit: If I applied for a job and they asked for that I would either A- give them the password then leave and change it or B- just leave

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It seems you guys have mostly forgotten the less recent issues with this in the media. Especially in todays economy, many people were unable to turn down a job offer because they felt morally wrong giving an employer the password to their facebook account.

Whats even worse is the students who are called down to the deans office and asked for the password on the spot. These students are told that in order to continue to be enrolled they need to present the password or login in front of the staff.

Its all fun to say how tough you would be in front of a job or school, but its much less easy to do so when the job/school is your only option. Its about time they have come up with something along these lines to protect basic privacies on the internet - and its a shame that so many that make laws are the same people that are probably still using AOL.

·
Amateur Games Dev
4,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

surprised this wasn't common sense. but all that being said, it's not hard to google search your prospective new hire...
Actually, it's hard to google me. I've tried, there's nothing. :/

The only information on me on the internet is all tied to my username, and none of it is personal identifying, currently.

·
Reject the system
1,575 Posts
I solved that problem years ago. Never signed up for Facebook - even in the early days of college when it was new and fresh.

People are soon going to find that Facebook is going to be working against them; All that personal info just a finger tip away...mind boggling why anyone is willingly wanting to do this.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyblunting View Post

That's like asking for someone's keys so you can look around their house...

Surprised this wasn't a law already
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

surprised this wasn't common sense. but all that being said, it's not hard to google search your prospective new hire...
Beat me to it, I'm not surprised this isn't a law, I'm surprised this wasn't just expected.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.