Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know what you're thinking "this is off topic!" but its not really. A friend of mine and I came up with the best, most hardcore Idea EVER lol.

Create a watercooling loop except instead of using water as your coolent use Beer! Throw in a Waterchiller and you got two things, a ready source of refreshing adult beverage, and a cooler for your computer.

Here is how we arrived at beer. Beer has a lower surface tension that straight water which is benifical to your cooling. Also it has an evaporation point between isopropyl alcohol and water so you wont have to do some major chilling to get it back if it evaporates.

One complication we ran into is that beer head cant be good for your pumps, so I say either pressureise the system to keep bubbles from forming, or just use Keystone Light

Note: If you do actually try the above, Im not responsable for you going to jail for trying to buy beer underage, nor killing your computer. I thought it was a funny thought so I posted it.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Beer has very poor thermal properties, plus the sugars would wreak havoc on your system. Good idea in theory, but not practical by any means.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Beer has very poor thermal properties, plus the sugars would wreak havoc on your system. Good idea in theory, but not practical by any means.

Huh, I had no idea there was a bad use for beer. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
people have been adding substances like alcohol to coolant in cars for long times for the added colling properties.

goto an performance autoparts dealership and ask for water wetter that is what the stuff is called
i think its not common practice because of the flamabilty of the stuff
electricity and high heat could cause for some messed up explosions i guess...
sorry i couldnt get your email my computer blew up

·
Registered
304 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

people have been adding substances like alcohol to coolant in cars for long times for the added colling properties.

goto an performance autoparts dealership and ask for water wetter that is what the stuff is called
i think its not common practice because of the flamabilty of the stuff
electricity and high heat could cause for some messed up explosions i guess...
sorry i couldnt get your email my computer blew up

u serious? Give us a pic. lol

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Huh, I had no idea there was a bad use for beer. LOL

LOL. There is when you can't drink it!!! Plus, I am pretty sure that the copper taste from the waterblock/radiator wouldn't taste too good. I take that back, it would probably help the taste of Keystone! ROFL!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We all know its not possible to improve the taste of keystone light, its frikin keystone light. I mean its not THAT bad but it does taste bad. Personally my favorite is Shiner Bock because tis very dark and yummy.

(remembers that he is under 21)

Erm or so im told...yeah...so I'm told...

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor

We all know its not possible to improve the taste of keystone light, its frikin keystone light. I mean its not THAT bad but it does taste bad. Personally my favorite is Shiner Bock because tis very dark and yummy.

(remembers that he is under 21)

Erm or so im told...yeah...so I'm told...

Shiner is ok, I think it's overrated. You can't get Shiner everywhere though. They are just now starting to ship it nationwide. I remember when you could only get it in Tx. Ahh, the good ole days. Now I prefer either micro-brews or German style double bocks, such as Paulaner Salvator. They are very strong beers meant to be sipped slowly, or else your asking for it...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I...I mean my friend wants to try Ginnues (or however its spelled) but I...erm he sees its pretty expensive and cant really afford it right now, but we'll see how it goes.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

LOL. There is when you can't drink it!!! Plus, I am pretty sure that the copper taste from the waterblock/radiator wouldn't taste too good. I take that back, it would probably help the taste of Keystone! ROFL!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Personally I...I mean my friend wants to try Ginnues (or however its spelled) but I...erm he sees its pretty expensive and cant really afford it right now, but we'll see how it goes.

I for one must say he cannot do that, you cannot disrespect Guinness in that manner, even if it is for the computer.

Also been is made to ferment and part of fermentation is continously creating bubbles, using beer in a liquid cooling system will continously create pressure which will create more trouble than using water.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I...he doesent want to use it as a coolant. I...he wants to drink it.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Also been is made to ferment and part of fermentation is continously creating bubbles, using beer in a liquid cooling system will continously create pressure which will create more trouble than using water.

Actually, if you used a major brand of beer, such as Bud Light, Coors Light, etc., all the fermentation is pretty much complete by the time it hits the stores. The yeast has already eaten most of the sugars. Plus, carbonation is added to the beer right before it's packaged. If you actually put the beer in the system, most of the carbonation would be gone in a few minutes. It would just take a little longer filling and bleeding. The beer wouldn't create new bubbles. Well, it might if you used a beer that still has a high sugar/yeast count, like a Hefe-weizen, but it still wouldnt last very long.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking Lando should build this since he has experence with Beer

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

I'm thinking Lando should build this since he has experence with Beer

Who knows, I might do it just for the heck of it when I upgrade.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

I sould like the see that, who knows with your beer expertise you may find the perfect coolant.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

hey i gots a old amd duron i was going to convert into a folding platform
just havent got around to it we could overclock and chill it with beer
since we live in arizona it would only be appropriate if we used dos equis or corona.... YOU know what i mean §8 ›þ....

yeah i see your picture and chat with you from time to time...
i hope you know that your name should be ob1 kenobi with that picture
but if you want to be lando i found a pic for you....
still no reply about the router

1 - 20 of 23 Posts