Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my own netbook, and for only $30!

It weighs 1.8lb, has a 3 hour battery, a 6" screen, a trackpoint (I hate touchpads), two different docking stations, and has no fan whatsoever (replacing the HDD with a CF card made it 100% silent and even lighter). Now all that's left is to figure out how to overclock the Pentium 120MHz MMX, lol

For real though, I've got a pico-itx system I'd like to put in it, and if anyone's got any info on how to get the built-in LCD and trackpoint to work on standard VGA and PS2/USB ports that would be awesome.

Did I mention that I hate touchpads?

It's got a full docking station!

And another smaller one that screws on the back.

Size comparison to a G9x:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
looks like a big Nintendo DS

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jetplane48
View Post

looks like a big Nintendo DS

It's actually not much bigger than one.

Playing emulated NES/SNES on it is really cool too, because you can hold it like a DS and use the keyboard with your thumbs (turning it into a controller).

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

It's actually not much bigger than one.

Playing emulated NES/SNES on it is really cool too, because you can hold it like a DS and use the keyboard with your thumbs (turning it into a controller).

That is awesome.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willanhanyard
View Post

How many fps do you get in crysis?

Forget Crysis, I'm having trouble installing even XP on this thing!

That's why I want to put a pico-itx board in there...it's just big enough to hold one.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nategr8ns
View Post

I don't see the trackpoint. It might help if I knew what to look for

Anyway, I'm sure someone on here can help you find/make an adapter for the inputs and for the screen. Battery powered ITX build ftw? yes!

It's the round thing to the right of the screen. Those buttons on the lid are left/right click
. You hold the screen kind of like you're holding a sheet of paper, and use your thumb to move the mouse and fingers to click. It's actually pretty nice

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
OMG i remember actually owning that libretto well the 100ct when it first came out.....!!!!! This machine was YEARS ahead of its time by all standards 2.1gb disk, 166mhz and 7" screen. god I miss that lil thing.

·
939 veteran & 1155 fanboy
8,148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
It's the round thing to the right of the screen. Those buttons on the lid are left/right click
. You hold the screen kind of like you're holding a sheet of paper, and use your thumb to move the mouse and fingers to click. It's actually pretty nice

Sweet! That would suck for lefties though

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not to be an idiot, I bet my iPod touch has got more power....
CPU:
ARM Cortex-A8 833 MHz (underclocked to 600 MHz
3rd generation: 256 MB DRAM
320 Ã- 480 px, 3.5 in (89 mm), 2:3 aspect ratio, 262,144-color LCD at 163 pixels per inch (ppi)
GFX chip 3rd generation: PowerVR SGX

But for 30$, that's good.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuginu
View Post

CPU:
320 Ã- 480 px, 3.5 in (89 mm), 2:3 aspect ratio, 262,144-color LCD at 163 pixels per inch (ppi)

iPod touch = different functionality... and for those who don't like the proprietary system, ipod would be out of the question...

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuginu
View Post

CPU:

Not for nothing, but even with all that extra power it still doesn't come close to the functionality of this thing (and this is coming from someone with an iPhone).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
i'm amazed the battery still holds a charge. I have a notebook about that old and the battery stopped being able to hold a charge years ago.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I was 4 years old (1989) my dad brought home his Toshiba T1200 from work, with blue/gray screen and whopping 20mb hdd.

There was no need for a track pad, but some of my earliest memories involve that computer running DOS and playing games on the amazing mechanical keyboard (lighter than my current model M).

Later, (~1990) we were forced to purchase a mouse and color CRT when Quest for Glory I came out. That game started me on a path of RPGs and tabletop D&D culminating in an Ultima Online addiction that ruined any chances of physical intimacy until I became a legal adult and moved out of the house at 18.

I love(hate) you, Toshiba!

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sx4thewin
View Post

When I was 4 years old (1989) my dad brought home his Toshiba T1200 from work, with blue/gray screen and whopping 20mb hdd.

There was no need for a track pad, but some of my earliest memories involve that computer running DOS and playing games on the amazing mechanical keyboard (lighter than my current model M).

Later, (~1990) we were forced to purchase a mouse and color CRT when Quest for Glory I came out. That game started me on a path of RPGs and tabletop D&D culminating in an Ultima Online addiction that ruined any chances of physical intimacy until I became a legal adult and moved out of the house at 18.

I love(hate) you, Toshiba!

lol, I remember those!

Though we didn't get a laptop in the house until the Toshiba 230CDS (Pentium 1). We did get a VGA screen in '89 though, along with one of those giant Gateway 2000 towers with a 486 inside (and a turbo button!). Man, I wish I still had a turbo button.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
CPU 120MHz Intel Pentium MMX RAM 16 / 32MB (mine is 32MB) HDD 1.6GB (IBM DDLA21620) Graphics card Chips & technologies CT-65550 1MB Display 6.1" TFT Audio Yamaha OPL3 SA2 PCMCIA 1 x type II (2 x type II with port replicator)

sweet laptop

overclock it to 200mhz... http://www.fixup.net/tips/l70200.htm

swap out the HDD for a 4gb CF card... but 32MB is MAX ram...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak
View Post

Forget Crysis, I'm having trouble installing even XP on this thing!

That's why I want to put a pico-itx board in there...it's just big enough to hold one.

check out FreeBSD or DSL, or if you must windows 2000 is as recent as i'd try... and even then it will be SLOW...

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNERROR
View Post

CPU 120MHz Intel Pentium MMX RAM 16 / 32MB (mine is 32MB) HDD 1.6GB (IBM DDLA21620) Graphics card Chips & technologies CT-65550 1MB Display 6.1" TFT Audio Yamaha OPL3 SA2 PCMCIA 1 x type II (2 x type II with port replicator)

sweet laptop

overclock it to 200mhz... http://www.fixup.net/tips/l70200.htm

swap out the HDD for a 4gb CF card... but 32MB is MAX ram...

check out FreeBSD or DSL

holy crap, dude there it is. I've been playing around on the circuitboard for a while already now trying to find where they put the jumper (because they always had one back then). Especially since this is actually a 200MHz CPU that's been downclocked, so it DEFINITELY has to have some easy way to bring it back up.

Thanks

And yeah I already have the CF card and adapter, I've just been having trouble getting any OS to install on it. I'll start setup and it works just fine, but then once it restarts the PC it won't boot from the card.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nategr8ns
View Post

Sweet! That would suck for lefties though

I'm so used to adapting to the right hand world that I doubt if it would affect me. I do, however, know some people who may complain because it's not in the center.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts