Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I need a 120mm pwm fan that is best for rads and this is going to have some requirements below and reasons.

Requirements

1. They have to be PWM I need 23 of them and there going to need to be controlled by either the mobo header and split or by the new corsair link system I'm not going to run bay controllers it happening so throw that out right now They have to be PWM period.

2. Quite at low RPMS as quite as possible at high RPMS The will all be ran as low as possible most of the time then at high loads benching ect half will need to ramp up to at least 2k rpm. (the other half will be on thin rads and can stay at 1500 or so)

3. Must have a max speed of at least 2k rpms. ( I guess 1850 would be alright but prefer 2k or higher)

4. The must be black or at the very least have black blades and no non black rubber ect that cant be not removed without affecting anything as they need to be all black or be able to be made all black without modding blades.

Preferences

Have an aggressive look to them.

Have a 140mm similar looking counterpart doesnt have to be good for rads as it will be only 1 140mm and it will be as exhaust not as a rad fan.

Okay shoot throw some at me
smile.gif

15 dollars or less (however more is fine this is just preferred)

Edit: Has anyone used or seen any reviews for the bitfenix spectre pros pwm as they check all the boxes good for rads. Obv they aren't as good as gentle typhoons but i need exact requirements even at a slight loss of cooling. I am even switching to the red team so that i can get black edition cards for my black out build so it has to be black that is not going to be budged on and the grey on typhoons and corsairs ait going to work( the visible ones at least I currently have some corsair QE and they will stay on my st30 480 as in the 900d that's not visible with a midplate. But for all internal and visible fans I need something black and aggresive.

My loop is already going to be overkill with 4 rads so squeezing every ounce isn't really needed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well I think one of the few fans that definitely tick all of your initial boxes would be any of the higher speed Gentle Typhoons.

The AP29 for example is readily available in a PWM version, or at the very least is easily moddable to PWM though I can see how modding 23 fans would be a headache.

I can't easily find a PWM curve for the AP29 and my AP30's are boxed up somewhere but they aren't loud at low RPM. They are louder than a typical GT at the same speed but not by a big margin and that's still quieter than the average fan for noise/performance by a decent shot.

3000 RPM is comfortably over 2K

ALL BLACK.

Plus I'd say they look pretty aggressive. At full speed they can sound it.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, I realise they can be hard to come by now in the US and cost quite a bit more than $15 but can't say I had any other ideas really.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetrap View Post

Well I think one of the few fans that definitely tick all of your initial boxes would be any of the higher speed Gentle Typhoons.

The AP29 for example is readily available in a PWM version, or at the very least is easily moddable to PWM though I can see how modding 23 fans would be a headache.

I can't easily find a PWM curve for the AP29 and my AP30's are boxed up somewhere but they aren't loud at low RPM. They are louder than a typical GT at the same speed but not by a big margin and that's still quieter than the average fan for noise/performance by a decent shot.

3000 RPM is comfortably over 2K

ALL BLACK.

Plus I'd say they look pretty aggressive. At full speed they can sound it.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, I realise they can be hard to come by now in the US and cost quite a bit more than $15 but can't say I had any other ideas really.
Ya I wish could find some pre modded but thats even harder I have kept an eye out for that though

·
Registered
253 Posts
Seems like there is stock on taobao.
Looks like there could be n 1850 PWM gentle typhoon with the black blades of the higher speeds but my Chinese isn't good enough to really decipher the rest.
Hopefully the model number on them D1225X14BXCPA41 is a good starting place though don't blame you if you're after something a little more local.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
quite does not equal quiet

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cooler Master jetflos: it's like 500-2000rpm and pretty good on rads.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They don't come in black do they? that is the most important thing if they aint black it aint happening. Also any tests that show the true Static Pressure by spec its the same as the bitfenixs. I really like the bitfenixs but cant ind any tests on them everyone seems to just test the 1200 rpm non pwm versions that are completely different according to specs from what have seen on there tests there market static pressure is accurate on those versions so if the 2.70 is true those will be my choice as the will match the build perfectly.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post

Cooler Master jetflos: it's like 500-2000rpm and pretty good on rads.
This would be my choice too. JetFlos are definitely the best consumer targetted PWM rad fans.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

This would be my choice too. JetFlos are definitely the best consumer targetted PWM rad fans.
Still no answer to my questions is there a test results that show there true specs. Do they come in all black as there manufacturer specs the bitfenix are on par and look alot better

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post

Still no answer to my questions is there a test results that show there true specs. Do they come in all black as there manufacturer specs the bitfenix are on par and look alot better
I can't find competent reviews but just talk to DaveLT or anyone who has done extensive testing, and they will tell you how good it is. It meets it's claimed specs, which most other consumer fans don't (especially the Spectre Pros).

There are plenty of reviews out there but they don't do proper testing, they just slap it on a heatsink/AIO and give temperature results. Which isn't good enough.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Quote:

That sounds a little harsh.

· All back available.

· They perform above specs. See @ehume's review.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why do you say the spectre pros dont meet there specs? this is why I want/need a review the only ones I have found have tested the non pwm version those are completely diffrent fans. the few tests on rads I have found seem good esp for the 140s and I might keep using my 420rad so 140s are needed in that case. the static pressure on the non pwm is 1.2 @1500 where the pwms claim 2.7 at 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerk View Post

I can't find competent reviews but just talk to DaveLT or anyone who has done extensive testing, and they will tell you how good it is. It meets it's claimed specs, which most other consumer fans don't (especially the Spectre Pros).

There are plenty of reviews out there but they don't do proper testing, they just slap it on a heatsink/AIO and give temperature results. Which isn't good enough.

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
You're making mountains out of mole hills. If those are the fans you really want, then get them. With as many rads as you have, you won't notice much of a performance difference, if any, between different fans

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

You're making mountains out of mole hills. If those are the fans you really want, then get them. With as many rads as you have, you won't notice much of a performance difference, if any, between different fans
I have to agree the thing I I wantmacthing agressive fans shown there will only be 6-7 fans 3-4 of which will be pull for the rad so there static pressure on a low fpi rad (ocools are 7 right well the xt44 420 I have now or ut60 480 im considering not sure if there is a siginfangant enough difreence between these to justify spending money on a new rad) have stronger static pressure fans in push at the same rpms and these on the bottom shown part of the rad and the other 3 are case fans so no issue with pressure there and the othrr rads can rock corsair sp120 performances in this setup I think the temp would not be vay much than using better fans thoughts??

this build will be a powrrhouse but also a showcase it will.not be stashed under a desk it will be in open view at all times thats main reason I got the 900d it has the showcasing abiltiys I need I dont want to throw uglu unmacthing fans in a showcased build. the way my setup is the case will be against the wall and the internals (there will be a midplate so floor wont be) visible at all times to me or anyone in my living room and ugly fans arent going to get it Id rather sac 1 degree and have bettet looking fans than have ugly ones I

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Quote:

I have to agree the thing I I wantmacthing agressive fans shown there will only be 6-7 fans 3-4 of which will be pull for the rad so there static pressure on a low fpi rad (ocools are 7 right well the xt45 I have now and ut60 im considering) have stronger static pressure fans in push at the same rpms and these on the bottom shown part of the rad and the other 3 are case fans so no issue with pressure there and the othrr rads can rock corsair sp120 performances in this setup I think the temp would not be vay much than using better fans thoughts??
I can't understand a word of that. Punctuation is your friend.

Also remember that there is no issue with running different sets of fans for push and pull as long as the RPM value isn't too far off. So a 1500 RPM fan and 1800 RPM fan, for example, wouldn't have an issue working together. On the other hand a 1000 RPM fan working with a 3000 RPM fan would not be ideal.

For example, I'm using Gentle Typhoons for push and CoolerMaster Sicklflows for pull on both of radiators. The reason for this is purely aesthetics. The glow of the LEDs on the CM fans can be seen from the outside of the case, while the custom painted blades of the Typhoons can be seen from the interior.

·
Old, Senile, and Happy
4,977 Posts
Quote:

Okay so I need a 120mm pwm fan that is best for rads and this is going to have some requirements below and reasons.

Requirements

1. They have to be PWM I need 23 of them and there going to need to be controlled by either the mobo header and split or by the new corsair link system I'm not going to run bay controllers it happening so throw that out right now They have to be PWM period.

2. Quite at low RPMS as quite as possible at high RPMS The will all be ran as low as possible most of the time then at high loads benching ect half will need to ramp up to at least 2k rpm. (the other half will be on thin rads and can stay at 1500 or so)

3. Must have a max speed of at least 2k rpms. ( I guess 1850 would be alright but prefer 2k or higher)

4. The must be black or at the very least have black blades and no non black rubber ect that cant be not removed without affecting anything as they need to be all black or be able to be made all black without modding blades.

Preferences

Have a 140mm similar looking counterpart doesnt have to be good for rads as it will be only 1 140mm and it will be as exhaust not as a rad fan.

smile.gif

Edit: Has anyone used or seen any reviews for the bitfenix spectre pros pwm as they check all the boxes good for rads. Obv they aren't as good as gentle typhoons but i need exact requirements even at a slight loss of cooling. I am even switching to the red team so that i can get black edition cards for my black out build so it has to be black that is not going to be budged on and the grey on typhoons and corsairs ait going to work( the visible ones at least I currently have some corsair QE and they will stay on my st30 480 as in the 900d that's not visible with a midplate. But for all internal and visible fans I need something black and aggresive.

My loop is already going to be overkill with 4 rads so squeezing every ounce isn't really needed.
You really might want to get some more advice about trying to run that many fans from a mobo header, PWM fanout is pretty good, but not infinite . . . You'll typically loose being able to control them at lower speeds as you get too many.

You also may want to think about having that many fans all ramp up and down together based on CPU temp.

Much as you don't want to go there . . .

I'd think seriously about the Aquaero 6 with its 4 PWM channels and very powerful software program that lets you create virtual sensors so you could ramp fan speeds based on delta t or GPU temps if you're running multi-loop.

Food for thought,

Darlene

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

You really might want to get some more advice about trying to run that many fans from a mobo header, PWM fanout is pretty good, but not infinite . . . You'll typically loose being able to control them at lower speeds as you get too many.

You also may want to think about having that many fans all ramp up and down together based on CPU temp.

Much as you don't want to go there . . .

I'd think seriously about the Aquaero 6 with its 4 PWM channels and very powerful software program that lets you create virtual sensors so you could ramp fan speeds based on delta t or GPU temps if you're running multi-loop.

Food for thought,

Darlene
there are going to curved off cpu temp. there going on 2 headers cpu and cpu opt. only the pwm signal travels off of them. im using self powered swiftech pwm splitters which now that I think about corsair fans wont work darinit. only the thick 240 in the floor the case fans and the top rads fans will be ran of pwm splitter only about 15 fans and the others will corsair qes ran at full speed always. why would I lose at low speeds? this is the first I have heard of this using a self powered spliterr or maube you didnt mean in that config. I have a friend that runs 20 fans of those splitters and 1 mobo header without issues. also im considering a coraair link for the extra feature of lighting. that aquero is way overpirced for what it does.

also there is always the option to build a pwm signla boosyer if indeed there isnt enough signal even doing this 2 5 dollar to make boosters and 2 10splitter will accomlish the same thing and actuallybetter with asus fan control than that 200 bay device ya that is no brainer. there Is sinply no jusfitaxtion to thay aqueros price 5 years ago there was but in todays market there isnt the same result can be achieved much much much cheaper.

also asus will also allow me to curve off of gpu temps and there is most likely options for delta if I look hard it may require the use of the oc panel but I plan to use that anyway outside of the case in extreme mode so running a temp gauge to the water through the panel and basing curves throught it may be possible if the board doesnt have temp sensors you can plug into the board which it may very well have I dont recall atm.

was the issue at low rpms off swiftech splitters or by being powered by the motherboard?

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by morencyam View Post

I can't understand a word of that. Punctuation is your friend.
agreed and sorry for that. however im typing on my phone and at work so its much easier for you to say than it is to be done on a galaxy sgs3 when my full atention can not be to my replys

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Quote:

Requirements

Preferences

smile.gif

I have used, and tried a lot of fans for effectiveness on rads and the best fans I have found (assuming you don't want them to sound like a JATO are the CM Excalibur.

3.53mm H2O and the results to match. On my rads I have tried Noctua, cougars, Typhoons, and many more. I am currently using the Excalibur fans because of results.

The Excalibur page spec sheet.

http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/excalibur/excalibur.html

Good luck with the build.
:thumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.