Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, so after nearly a year of having my antec 300 and allowing the plan and image to form in my mind and on paper, i am at last begun with my first mod on my first build. when i do something i jump in head first, nothing half-assed for me. this mod is simply a stylistic window in the likeness of the sea-floor-sleeping elder-god Cthulu, and the screaming need for a new paint job.

The Case: antec 300, you know it, you love it, yes, it's small. i'm gonna make it better:D
antec300.jpg

The Sketch: who doesn't love graph paper?
DSC_0393.jpg

The Plan: a little photoshop manipulation and we have a rough idea of the future beast in my living room.
antec300mod2copy.jpg

0003vm8s.png

maybe a custom cthulu fan grille?

now that i've outlined the goal, i can show you the story so far. today was a groundbreaking day for me. i sanded most of the paint off the case (shiny!), drilled out about half the rivets (until the drill bit broke:() cut some holes for cable management ('cause let's be honest, this case needs it!), and started cutting out the stencil i pasted on the inside of the panel. here's the results:

The Abrasion: like i said, shiny!

DSC_0246.jpg

The Penetration: by way of making holes....

DSC_0261.jpg

one for the psu exhaust.

DSC_0257.jpg

three for excess cabling.

DSC_0255.jpg

i'll use my own fan grilles thank you.

The Viewport: the exciting part

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

stencil, remaining work

The Refuse: maybe a wall decoration for mom?

DSC_0274.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

as the sunwent down so did my supply of cutoff wheels. it became a race to see how much i could do before running out of either. 25 cutoff wheels later... am i doing something wrong? too much pressure i reckon.

work for the weekend now, then i get more, new drill bit, some paint, rivets, etc. more tuesday.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
what kind of tools are you using for this? it is looking very nice, and i would like to see how you are making such smooth curves while cutting the metal. it seems like that would be difficult with a dremel with reinforced cutting bit (what i have)

very nice looking! +rep!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Really impressive work, your cuts are clean and that eye must have been a few minutes of nervous cutting work.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i imagine you will be using a sweet fan grille over the side fan? that could turn out very sexy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the rep y'all, this is a first for me and it's good to get some positive feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixon;13051400
...a few minutes of nervous cutting work.
yeah, nervous indeed, but i'll be sweating for sure when i get to that tentacle bit that looks like celtic knotwork!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker22dallas;13051380
...it seems like that would be difficult with a dreme...
a dremel 300 actually, the best cutoff disks were the ones that came with the tool, the "heavy duty"s i bought for the purpose, gave out disappointingly fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker22dallas;13054733
...a sweet fan grille over the side fan?...
there's a template displayed in the OP, necronomicon glyph for cthulu. i expect it will be the hardest part of the whole cutting project!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
today was cycling around in the rain collecting tools and the like. came home with enough time to finish the detail cutting on the side panel window.

this one's for the haters and non-believers, myself included.

DSC_0275.jpg

i'm not going to lie to you, right now. this was the hardest bit:

DSC_0281.jpg

seriously, i can't believe i actually pulled that off! now my dremel hand is tired and i believe i'll be waiting a few days before i continue on with the final cutting project: the fan grill of doom:

DSC_0294.jpg
now that's a good use for scrap metal!

i also drilled out the majority of the rivets in preparation for painting. as you can see, i have left the hard drive cage and the 5.25 bay cage intact and attached. i intend to rotate the hard drive cage only, so i can access them through the side panel and free up a couple of centimetres for the pci-e cables.

DSC_0278.jpg

foreshadowing:

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

i swear they just fell out of the bag like this! <---(liar)

DSC_0292.jpg

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Pretty nice dremel work, i know a guy who did something similar as well, bit more curves, but still hard work. Shaping up nicely
wink.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.