Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question gets asked at least once a day....sometime 2, 3, 4 or more times a day. Using the search button, I understand, is a very demanding task, and it can certainly be frightening for new members...what with it's big scary white letters and sneering pull-down menu.
(okay, maybe I'm over exaggerating, but it does get asked rather frequently, and the answer never changes.
)

So, here it is, the definitive answer to "Can I overclock my Intel mobo/dell/hp/compaq....?"

Short answer: no. Intel motherboards (which are used by all proprietary system builders, like dell, HP, etc) do not offer the necessary functions for BIOS overclocking. Without such options as CPU and RAM voltage adjustments, FSB adjustability and AGP/PCI bus locks, you will have little to no success.

Long answer: yes....via software. Software like clockgen (www.cpuid.com), cpusoft (now defunct, along with others), or other software utilities (included with motherboards that are intended for use by enthusiasts) may or may not support your Intel/proprietary motherboard, and is generally not very effective.

These are the facts, folks, I'm sorry to say. Hey, if you've successfully overclocked via software, then by all means, please post results as well as make, model, all pertinent system info and software used. At the very least, if some have had success, we can start compiling some information, for those who have not yet had success.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
This is a good thread. It's stopping heaps of those annoying posts about crappy rip off Dell, HP, Compaq, LG and Alienware which all the computers from them are the biggest rip off

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used CPUFSB to software overclock a Dell P3 700Mhz Celeron to a grand total of 798Mhz (Disclaimer :- I got the system for free
). Can't say I noticed much difference, and the hassle wasn't nearly worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an Hp. Yeah the motherboard and some other components are cheap. It's better to build your own system. Hope to upgrade soon. But I might just buy a DFI or Mach Speed motherboard that supports my cpu. If I decide to overclock I'll fill you all in on some specs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy
This is a good thread. It's stopping heaps of those annoying posts about crappy rip off Dell, HP, Compaq, LG and Alienware ...

Yea, but can I overclock my Dell or not?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe everyone starts out with a mainstream rig so dont make us feel so stupid. Then we try to upgrade something and realize we bought a pile of **** and then seek out sites like this to help. Im just trying to learn and build. Yes I gotta Dell. I would like to know what is a good motherborad that can be OC'd. Check my specs and let my have some ideas. Would like to keep cost reasonable (not cheap). I also want to Know if Rambus Ram is restricting to what my choices are.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity
This question gets asked at least once a day....sometime 2, 3, 4 or more times a day. Using the search button, I understand, is a very demanding task, and it can certainly be frightening for new members...what with it's big scary white letters and sneering pull-down menu.
(okay, maybe I'm over exaggerating, but it does get asked rather frequently, and the answer never changes.
)

So, here it is, the definitive answer to "Can I overclock my Intel mobo/dell/hp/compaq....?"

Short answer: no. Intel motherboards (which are used by all proprietary system builders, like dell, HP, etc) do not offer the necessary functions for BIOS overclocking. Without such options as CPU and RAM voltage adjustments, FSB adjustability and AGP/PCI bus locks, you will have little to no success.

Long answer: yes....via software. Software like clockgen (www.cpuid.com), cpusoft (now defunct, along with others), or other software utilities (included with motherboards that are intended for use by enthusiasts) may or may not support your Intel/proprietary motherboard, and is generally not very effective.

These are the facts, folks, I'm sorry to say. Hey, if you've successfully overclocked via software, then by all means, please post results as well as make, model, all pertinent system info and software used. At the very least, if some have had success, we can start compiling some information, for those who have not yet had success.

In there defense though, alot of posts reply by saying to check out the overclocking guide, which I don't find too helpful(if at all) in determining how well a particular setup will fare in overclocking.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,918 Posts
which software would be best for my dell dimension 4550 with 2.0GHz intel?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Intel mobos, at least the new 915/925 ones has built in burn-in mode in bios, but sadly only allow +/(or minus for what ever reason) 4% change in FSB. And as a matter of fact just because its intel dosnt mean the overclock is pointless. At least it used the 4% well.

I tried it at default FSB and after +4% fsb, so the original is 3.2ghz and the latter is 3.37ghz, there is exactly 4.11% increase in PC-Mark 04 score lol.

So if you got intel motherboard be happy(like me) that at least you can get a 4% overclock, pathedic yes but unless you want to switch this is the best shot

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,918 Posts
ah, well i'll just buy an abit board after we replace our dell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im new here ...Be gentle with me . How do I get access to my processor speed in the BIOS for my Intel . I found a lot of other things to mess with but ,Cant make my speed "changeable". Anybody got any experience with this board?
Also Are My temps inline ? Thanks
This looks like a great place to learn to overclock
AdobePhsyko

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Sorry, but you can't overclock with an intel motherboard. Get a brand other than intel if you want to do that.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,918 Posts
.........and.... Welcome to the real OC!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bump.

My first machine was an IMB..about 5-6 years ago. I didnt even know what OCing was then...lol. But im glad i got an off the shelf unit first, gave me good experiance with dealing with problems at a younger age. I've built 5-6 systems since, but im greatful for IMB for starting me off.

I dunno, i reckon most people buy one off the shelf pc before they get into building their own.

No problem really in my opinion, they ARE upgradable, just not overclockable. The main issue for me disliking them is the branding (big Tiny/IMB splash screens or whatever)

Edit: but im proud of my big DFI Lanparty splash screen

·
Registered
64 Posts
i bought my dell 1 year ago and it has no lock on it my friend said its currently borken but when i fix it ill see if i can overclock it

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi
Intel makes a program that allows you to overclock. I havent fooled around with it much yet, but it does work. http://developer.intel.com/design/mo.../software/dcc/
What's the range of adjustability on this? Most newer Intel boards have a 5% overclock feature for "burn-in" purposes, in the BIOS. Does this offer anything above and beyond that?

:edit: Checked out the readme....that only works on Intel's 955 board, and allows a whopping 0-2% FSB adjustment.
Better than nothing, I suppose...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I got a intel mobo D865GBF

can someone find me software to let me overclock my CPU on here?

Its teh things on that site No affinity posted doesnt support my motherbored?

anyone got a d865GBF Hack so i can overclock my cpu in here?
U'll get a big rep

1 - 20 of 120 Posts