Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have only about 47years worth if fossil fuels left on earth. also at the rate we are going, my grandchildren (im currently 15) would be around the last generation because of global warming. If you have seen already, Humans are more staril now then ever before! we dont have much time left, so have fun, and help clean up the world. we must work together

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
We had 30 years worth of fossil fuels in 1972. Now we have 47 years worth. People have always said we're almost out.

• Rep+
Reactions: cmass

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]

we have only about 47years worth if fossil fuels left on earth.

O rly?

www.learnaboutcoal.org btw that site is hilarious those kids definetly arent reading teleprompters

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

We had 30 years worth of fossil fuels in 1972. Now we have 47 years worth. People have always said we're almost out.

its estamted, we now how have more nuclear powerplants, and Coal would just screw up the Ozone even more!

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
I do agree that we need to clean up our act.

The 47 years of fossil fuels is just an estimate. I know that when I was your age, they already mentioned 50 years or so. However, this estimate remained constant, although more than 20 years have passed. New reserves are found all the time.

However, the biggest problem is not the scarcity of fossil fuels, but the pollution they cause. New resources (solar, wind, water) need to be more intensively researched and used in a way that does not cause too much burden on the environment (no gigantic dam constructions).

Another alternative is biofuels which burn cleaner than fossil fuels. However, the burden on the environment for growing enough crops cannot be ignored, and already a water shortage in many irrigated areas is imminent within the next 20 years or so.

Water is going to be the next problem. In many places (western USA, middle east), water is scarce, and underground aquifers are being depleted at an alarming rate.

Note: I am graduating this semester as an adult student with a major in Environmental and Natural Resource Management. My specialization is in water management.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Um....yeah.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Nothing is going to change till we use it all up. I say the sooner the better.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
learnaboutcoal

lets see any bias there?

the world is running out of fossil fuels and we should'nt use them until we run out due to global warming.

OMG, one of my friends thinks global warming is a scam

i just laugh at him, but seriously something needs to be done

***? that site says that coal is CLEAN? RIGHT!

·
Banned
302 Posts
Coal plants will soon be very clean with "gassification and steam reformation" (Popular Mechanics, Nov/06).

You'll be fine, don't worry.

Not that i'm saying it's all good... there is definitely a problem. People are just too busy looking "cool" in their SUV's to care about the ozone.

Give it time.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this could have been fixed.... but greed is the problem. oil companies and the government have the power to change our ways, but they will lose money

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and global warming aint over rated... the global temperature has gone up as much 5C!!! the ice caps are melting!

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

and global warming aint over rated... the global temperature has gone up as much 5C!!! the ice caps are melting!

The Bright side of Global Warming: LA will be under water

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Quote:

That's not because of global warming... that's because of all of us folding

But seriously, you're right. Global warming is not overrated in any way shape or form. That's something the vaste majority of scientists agrees on. Even many groups in the religious right now support environmental action.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts