Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060213/chester

Companies want to privatize and have absolute control over what content you can receive over the internet, as well as track every packet your pc sends and receives.

let the brainwashing and big-brothering begin....

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Behold the greatness of capitalism. No surprise really. The internet is (now more than ever) a huge depot of information (useful or not) and a big cash cow. Privatization is a logical next step. It's all about maximizing profit.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I hope the gov't prevents this. How can they limit or shut off P2P communications and put caps on the number of e-mails someone can send? I mean I can see how they put a limit on how many e-mail are sent to prevent spam but to limit it for a profit? This is insane! These companies should die.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
They're all just out to make more money. Personally, if any "caps" are put into place, I'd hope it'd be a "cap" on the ammount of money corporations can make, limit it to a billion a year... Instead of making tens of billions a year, at the expense of monopolizing and destroying the market.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Besides their business interests, telephone and cable companies also have a larger political agenda. Both industries oppose giving local communities the right to create their own local Internet wireless or wi-fi networks. They also want to eliminate the last vestige of local oversight from electronic media--the ability of city or county government, for example, to require telecommunications companies to serve the public interest with, for example, public-access TV channels. The Bells also want to further reduce the ability of the FCC to oversee communications policy. They hope that both the FCC and Congress--via a new Communications Act--will back these proposals.

This is the part that p***es me off. That's the definition of a monopoly. Eliminating any and all competition.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HrnyGoat

I honestly hope the government is smart enough to see whats going to happen and prevent this.

oh, hell, they're complicit in this!

The way Washington works is this: You give me a bunch of money so I can get "re-elected" (I'll pocket a chunk of it....) and I'll make sure the laws passed are all in your favor so you can maximize profits at the expense of middle-class america.

In regards to the Blackmarket internet: True.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Quote:

Both industries oppose giving local communities the right to create their own local Internet wireless or wi-fi networks.

They don't have to "give" the right to create our own local internet networks. Why in the hell would anyone want to strip rights like this away? That's the very definition of competition and the very basis of our economic system!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I should point out that in America the aim of any company is profit and hence growth, or something along those lines by law. If a company decides to make customer service their priority, then the shareholders can sue that company! This is probably why they seem to try to make money in whichever way they can.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Wow...rediculous.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLaDan

I should point out that in America the aim of any company is profit and hence growth, or something along those lines by law. If a company decides to make customer service their priority, then the shareholders can sue that company! This is probably why they seem to try to make money in whichever way they can.

Correct. A company, or rather a corporation, is required by law to provide their shareholders with profits. If you think about it, it is the shareholders behind these companies that are the evil ones. So if you own shares of Google, and the only way Google can provide you with dividends on your stock is by privetizing the internet, then that is what will happen.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Privitization of the internet will never happen because the internet is housed on servers. Not all of these servers are in the United States. Now do you really think that say china or Europe is gonna let america start chipping into thier advertising money due to privitization. Not only no but hell no. Now if America owned the internet then they could but because it is so vast and global there is no way any company is gonna take that away. And yes an anti trust or monopolization case could be filed in court over this. Not to mention the government sites that would fall under this.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
effin govt
it is very possible at the rete that our individual freedoms are dropping
well then people will set up and run their own free servers
-well guarded and defended of course

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.