Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
until it beats (or at least matches) the performance of thermal paste it's kind of a niche novelty product.

it just performs "nearly identical" but still loses IIRC. Watched that yesterday.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Its cool, but definitely not the end of thermal paste. There's still a few degrees delta between the pad and good thermal paste.

Although, I have to admit, there have been times where I wished I didn't have to deal with paste.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its cool, but definitely not the end of thermal paste. There's still a few degrees delta between the pad and good thermal paste.

Although, I have to admit, there have been times where I wished I didn't have to deal with paste.
Truly, but hopefully they can improve the efficiency of it to match the top pastes.

·
Fix it till its broke
765 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this product? How hard can it be to put a dab of tim on? Do people really have a hard time with that? That looks like something you would put on a dell or something.

·
Finding order in chaos
880 Posts
I think this would be a great thing for those who run tests between different coolers as it ensures the same amount of material is used every time between tests.

·
Fix it till its broke
765 Posts
I run tests between different coolers, and don't have any problems.. It truly is not rocket science. I did not watch the video for more than a minute or so. But in the past, you couldn't re use pads, once they baked on you scraped them off.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run tests between different coolers, and don't have any problems.. It truly is not rocket science. I did not watch the video for more than a minute or so. But in the past, you couldn't re use pads, once they baked on you scraped them off.
Yeah it’s not hard, but if you had to choose to apply, clean and reapply vs not....I’d skip the paste.

·
Fix it till its broke
765 Posts
Ok, I just watched the video. I guess its not so bad, maybe they can tweak it a bit. Its good to hear they got 20+ uses out of them during beta testing. I am not to worried about conductivity, heat sinks are usually on pretty tight..

·
Overclocker
3,761 Posts
Watched the video, news worthy IMO.
The fact that the temps are 'near' margin of error with this reusable IC Graphite Thermal Pad.
I think the point is that it's re-usuable. 1 pad is all you need. It was also reported that during testing it was reused 50 times. That's the selling point.
You take it off and put it on your new CPU when you upgrade without having to clean old thermal paste. Sure, applying thermal paste isn't a problem. It's the clean up that is so important. Sometimes it's a simple wipe. Other times it requires Q-tips, alcohol, etc.

35W/mK top/bottom, 800ishW/mk from side to side. Linus burned himself when he torched the pad. Down size is that it's electrically conductive. Limiting it's use to CPU/GPU's with IHS.

The only other thermal pads that I know of worth it is Fujipoly. Which is none conductive but the highest is about 17.0 W/mK which is not designed for CPU/GPUs. So, when you think about it, from at least one prospective, it's double the W/mk of Fujipoly.

·
Fix it till its broke
765 Posts
I just use a face cloth with 99% alcohol. But I agree for the most part. Ive tried ICD7 and its ok.. a little too thick for my liking, and the temps were within a few degrees to what I was used to.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
I don't expect these patches to be any better if as good as normal TIM. I'm trying to get some to test. Hopefully I will.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Watched the video, news worthy IMO.
The fact that the temps are 'near' margin of error with this reusable IC Graphite Thermal Pad.
I think the point is that it's re-usuable. 1 pad is all you need. It was also reported that during testing it was reused 50 times. That's the selling point.
You take it off and put it on your new CPU when you upgrade without having to clean old thermal paste. Sure, applying thermal paste isn't a problem. It's the clean up that is so important. Sometimes it's a simple wipe. Other times it requires Q-tips, alcohol, etc.

35W/mK top/bottom, 800ishW/mk from side to side. Linus burned himself when he torched the pad. Down size is that it's electrically conductive. Limiting it's use to CPU/GPU's with IHS.

The only other thermal pads that I know of worth it is Fujipoly. Which is none conductive but the highest is about 17.0 W/mK which is not designed for CPU/GPUs. So, when you think about it, from at least one prospective, it's double the W/mk of Fujipoly.
Why would it be limited to cpu's and gpu's with an IHS? Once you mount it it doesn't move. Being electrically conductive is a non issue. Laptops don't have an IHS and they are getting laptop people to sample them. http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...mal-pad-available-for-test-and-review.815439/ The fujipoly thermal pads are way too thick to be used on a cpu/gpu and they would be one time use just like thermal paste.

·
Registered
51 Posts
More of an industrial product: non-liquid application and long-term stability are great for use in, for example, laptops, phones and consoles - or even pre-builds.

Placing a single pad is easier for an assembly line-style process and the long-term stability means you don't get nasty dried thermal paste that often causes consoles or laptops to perform worse or louder after a few years.

I don't see it as enthusiast product, though. I think most of us rather have a few degrees off than the "peace of mind" that you won't have to repaste ever. We have too much fun tinkering.

·
Facepalm
8,620 Posts
The product Linus reviewed sucks. It's decent on desktops but is only good in situations where you apply and forget.
But it's lackluster and NOT a replacement for any liquid metal or high end paste.

the product you guys should be focusing on are the PANASONIC SOFT PGS pads (EYG-S).

The IC innovations pad is simply a "Panasonic Graphite pad", and is rated at 13 W/MK. That's the exact stuff IC and Linus is using.

http://static6.arrow.com/aropdfconversion/8f2ff4ca6aae88065df9b0a98b2ce90c20fd1f8e/3aya0000c16.pdf
https://industrial.panasonic.com/ww/pgs2/graphite-pad

Try **THIS** stuff, guys.
THIS^^ look.

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...ronic-components/EYG-S091210/P12726-ND/678309

·
Hardware Gearhead
2,106 Posts
They tested the short term. With something like this, I would like to see the long term effects. See if the pad holds up after a year of use, and to see if it surpasses a tim application after that year. (since the TIM may dry up)

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
They tested the short term. With something like this, I would like to see the long term effects. See if the pad holds up after a year of use, and to see if it surpasses a tim application after that year. (since the TIM may dry up)
I haven't seen any testing with these pads are out-performing normal TIM, so I doubt it will be doing any better 6 months or a year from now. :D

·
Hardware Gearhead
2,106 Posts
I haven't seen any testing with these pads are out-performing normal TIM, so I doubt it will be doing any better 6 months or a year from now. :D
Has those tests been taken a year out? TIM degrades over the years, it would be interesting to see how the pad degrades. If it doesn't, when does TIM diminish enough to be worse than this pad.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Hi,
Sure would makes assemble a little easier
Not sure I care about reuse silly little high priced tubes of thermal grizzle is just whack.

·
High Clocker
3,436 Posts
Only advantage I see is it can be re-used with out leaving a stain or needing clean up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts