Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Short History of my Computer

I've had this Lian Li PC-A05B for about 2 years now its seen a lot of different hardware and I figured I would post a pic of each different setup.
You can see me get better at cable routing and component selection. I love this case.

This was my first time using the case. I had just come from a full tower so my wire management was not very good. This was in Early 2008 and I was still rocking Core 2 Duo.
Specs: P5N-E SLI, E6300 @ 3.2ghz, 8800GT, 4GB DDR2 800

Pretty small upgrade here. Got a 4850 to replace the 8800GT

This time I got got a few new things. I upgraded my GPU, CPU, HSF and PSU. I had to RMA my Antec 500w Smartpower since it died so I was given a Neo 500w modular back. Also upgraded to a 4870 and added an E7200 (3.8ghz) and an OCZ Vendetta 2 to help cool it.

I finally made the upgrade to 1366. Asus P6T, 6GB Patriot RAM. Thats all that changed.

A few more side-grades. The Asus 4870 was really loud so I traded it for a Sapphire 1GB version. Looked a lot beefier and was way quiter. Also Got an H50 cooler since the Vendetta 2 was struggling with my i7 overclocked.

Found an awesome deal on a Rampage II Extreme so I jumped on it. Also added a 3rd WD 6400AAKS for some awesome RAID 0 action. Replaced the H50 with a Noctua NH-UP12 since I thought I killed the H50 after modding it.

Turns out the H50 was fine and reserected it with a reservoir to keep bubbles out.

Wanted a bit more performace from the H50 so I added another radiator. This was a really awesome project that I enjoyed. I got a pretty nice drop in temps but compared to my brothers Megahalems I was still a few degrees warmer.

I bought a Mega to replace the modded H50 and also upgraded my GPU power by adding a second 4870 and because of that I added an Antec 750w to keep things powered.

The dual 4870's were putting out too much heat and I didn't like the crossfire scaling in some games so I bought a 5850 to replace them. 5850 at 1000/1200 is actually faster in 70% of games.

I found a cheap deal on a Zalman Reserator so I bought it. I thought it would be good enough from a CPU loop only but it was not.

I sold off both the Mega and Reserator and bought a thermalright Venomous X. Its an awesome cooler and the best performer to date. Also found a 4870X2 for cheap so I bought it.

the X2 had the same issues as the previous 4870's in terms of scaling and heat. I went back to my trusted 5850 and stuck the X2 in my secondary PC. Also upgraded my hard drives by getting two G Skill Pheonix SSD's and putting them RAID 0. They are in the silver bracket in the top slot of the 3.5" cage.

Sold the 5850 and bought a 5870 replacement. Was kind of a dumb decision since it wasn't all that much better.

Sold the 5870 and bought a 6970 and that proved to be a pretty good upgrade.

Sold the RIIE and bought a RIIIE and also got an additional 6GB ram for a total of 12.

A lot of upgrades and the only constant has been the case. I love the A05 and its just an awesome piece of engineering.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
i feel like im in america, after driving in the uk and then switching to the other side

i ont see why there arent many cases out there that configure the hardware in this format, i think it looks better to actualy have the gpu facing up instead of displaying a naked pcb at the bottom, Nice build m8

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the kind words fellas. I really appreciate them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyman0005
View Post

im facinated at your tube swap with the h50... was it difficult?

Peace out

no it wasn't too hard especially with willhemmens excellent guide. only thing i would change would be to use smaller 1/4inch innner diamter tubing as it fits tighly around the stock pump and rad barbs on the H50.

Also updated the OP with new pics and stuff.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
You're actually a fan of your pc?

Jk, that build is beautimus. Might I add that you did an excellent job on cable management as well. Thanks for sharing and +1

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrenix
View Post

hey can u tell me why u got 1 ram stick in every second slot??

because thats how the mobo has it laid out. socket 1366 uses triple channel memory so it has 6 slots which are split into two groups of three.

instead of socket 775 which has dual channel memory with 4 slots split into 2 groups.

·
Registered
470 Posts
will this fit the new sizes of cards like the 5970? i bought a thermaltake element S and realized it doesnt fit of all things a friggin' 2 inch bigger GFX card. (then the ones i have)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts