Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/09 for my work computer.
As far as I can tell it's identical to http://www.overclock.net/computer-pe...us-review.html other than the slightly different model number. My other keyboard uses MX Blue switches and I'm liking Browns a lot more so far.
However I was surprised by the way Browns feel -- I expected slightly lighter Blues, with a similar tactile feel, but without the Blues' click. What I got is basically linear the way I use it. I can definitely feel the tactile bump if I press the key lightly/slowly enough, but when I'm typing normally, there's no way I can detect it.

I do like it a lot, mind you, so no big issue there. It's comfy to type on, super quiet, exactly what I was looking for.

The point of this thread is to ask if this is how Browns typically feel and if I can expect a similar feel from any Brown I may get in the future, or if what I got is a typical Cherry POS keyboard that's been battered to hell and back by generations of angry waitresses, causing a loss of some of its tactility

Edit: funny thing -- I googled the model number of my keyboard and found http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=16328 -- linking to the auction I bought the keyboard from on eBay. The really scary thing is how fast it was picked up by that guy at Geekhack. I shudder to think that somebody else may have snatched the deal from under my nose, when I'd been talking to the seller on eBay for a week trying to buy a Cherry with Brown switches from him. The seller basically posted it, notified me that the auction was up, and I bought it almost right away.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Plate mounted browns feel a little bit different, but are fairly similar.

I think yours is the USB version. See if it has NKRO--see if you can press QRV all at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is actually PS/2, and yes, I can press qrvvvvvvvvv at the same time
But it was for my work computer, which doesn't have a PS/2 port, so I had to get a Blue Cube to connect this PS/2 keyboard to one of my USB ports.

·
Registered
599 Posts
They really don't feel that linear. You'll feel the bump, even if you're not used to typing softly. Linears feel a lot more, well, linear. They have a smoother press than the browns. It's very small, but you'll notice it. If you try a linear board out, you'll know right away it feels different.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleslikejohn
View Post

Ah so there's a more definite tactile bump on the blues eh? Maybe I'll get blues next time so I won't bottom out so much.

Cherry white are the best option IMHO.

The browns are almost linear, blacks and reds are good for gaming but I find any decent rubber dome keyboard better for typing.

Blues are nice, but I still prefer a true clicky BS keyboard than the "fake" behavior of the blues.

Clears are pleasurable to type on, really not bad for gaming and not too noisy, its really a pity that they can be found only on the ugly looking,poor featured, and expensive deck keyboards, and in a few cherry boards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts