Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
It makes three months in a row that the monthly record has been broken by the largest margin ever, and seven months in a row that are at least 1C above the 1951-80 mean for that month. When the string of record-smashing months started in February, scientists began talking about a "climate emergency".

Figures released by Nasa over the weekend show the global temperature of land and sea was 1.11C warmer in April than the average temperature for April during the period 1951-1980.
Source

We REALLY need to lower out pollution emissions
frown.gif
Use the car as little as possible!

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
And yet it was snowing here yesterday.... go figure
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
Hmm, I was just thinking there was actually a lot more colder days here the past few months and definitely a more normal amount of rain finally.
Strange that people on the US west coast closer to the equator, east coast closer to the equator, and NA east coast way up north are all saying it has been colder yet the data shows things are supposedly hotter. Maybe it is just north america that is colder and the rest of the world is burning?
tongue.gif

·
OC Enthusiast
1,054 Posts
there is a difference between weather and climate

the average temp has been increasing in here and now the seasons begin at different time (winter in January for example) at that month it was cooler then December a few years ago, the same for the hot days in the summer...
this is due to a warm phase and big oscillation in the air pressure in other words extreme weather conditions\effects of global warming

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
herp derp "it's cold here" must not be an issue

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Unless you want to kill off 90% of the human population and regress to hunter gatherer lifestyles global warming is inevitable and whining about it is pointless. We should just accept that an accelerated warming period is unavoidable and in many ways beneficial and put plans in place to deal with the downsides.

If people were serious about global warming they would be planning for how to relocate coastal cities out of the area's where sea rise will inevitably swamp them, which is really about the only major long term threat to people. But nobody wants to actually do anything productive. It's all blaming others and denying responsibility and attempts to implement wealth transfer scams to steal money from other people. Oh, and the endless feel good hype trends that actually do more harm then good (like bio fuels).

I'm not going to reduce my quality of life for your fearmongering, and neither are you you hypocrites.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post

herp derp "it's cold here" must not be an issue
You know what? It was snowing and -1C in Guelph, Ontario yesterday. Today has a low of -2C.

I'd welcome global warming with open arms.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

You know what? It was snowing and -1C in Guelph, Ontario yesterday. Today has a low of -2C.

The problem will be that you will be affected too by those people who are affected by higher temperatures in other areas.

It's not like increasing temperatures are cherry picking one place and say "hey look at ontario let's warm it up a bit there". It's happening ... well ... "globally".

While it looks nice for those living in colder areas it will lead to increased sea level rise and billions of climate refugees and guess where the climate refugees will go to once it's too hot to live where they are from or the water is flooding their country?
thumb.gif

To be fair no idea how long it would take to happen. Maybe you are fine in your lifetime. Maybe not

·
Registered
211 Posts
Too many people here talking about being it hot or cold in their parts. Do you people even understand the difference between climate and weather? Ehi it's still cold in the Arctic, climate change must be a hoax. Ehi the sun disappeared last night, must be a hoax. The earth was this warm before there were humans, that means it's not human related.

Stop ok? You are not scientists, you can't understand issues like these with common sense.

Physicists tell us we can't know the velocity and position of an electron at the same time, drives me insane, why? Well its a bit more complicated than common sense so stop trying to dumb it down to your level and have the humility to listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Edited for typos

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupitel View Post

Too many people here talking about being it hot or cold in their parts. Do you people even understand the difference between climate and weather? Ehi its still cold in the Arctic, climate change must be a hoax. Ehi the sun disappeared last time, must be a hoax. The earth was this warm before there were humans, that means it's not human related.

Stop ok? You are not scientists, you can't understand issues like these with common sense.

Physicists tell us we can't know the velocity and position of an electron at the same time, drives me insane, why? Well its a bit more complicated than common sense so stop trying to dumb it down to your level and have the humility to listen to people who actually know what they are talking about.
I'm not an idiot
tongue.gif

It just sucks to have 20C weather one day, then start snowing 2 days later.

I was going to go to get some energy drink from local supermarket, but then I realized it was snowing in May.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:

I'm not an idiot
tongue.gif

It just sucks to have 20C weather one day, then start snowing 2 days later.

I was going to go to get some energy drink from local supermarket, but then I realized it was snowing in May.
I will agree with that, though climate change is more about extreme weather than cold or hot (which depend where you live). Trust me you won't care much for hotter weather when it comes to extreme dries, fire tornadoes and what not.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Here in The Netherlands we had the coldest April ever
rolleyes.gif
We had with X-mas 2 times higher temps lol. Why cant you guys send that global warming to us
thumb.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
the thing is, the warmer climate is changing the ocean and air currents so in many places you get "continental climate" as the air isn't consistently bringing in either warm air masses or cold ones, leading to hot days, cold nights and the same drastic difference between summer and winter. It's now oh so apparent on northern and eastern parts of Europe.

Summers aren't literally any different here than in mediterranean and in the winter it's either hit or miss with snow. It can be around +2 degrees c the whole winter with no snow and the next year there can be 2 meters of snow everywhere and -10, -15c is the daily normal.

When i was little every winter and summer was the same. Wasn't too hot or cold, snow was always around.

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Lots of stupid in this thread. More energy in the atmosphere translates to larger and more unpredictable swings. Don't be surprised when there are unusual weather or temperature events. It's a symptom of proof, not absence.

·
Premium Member
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekilla View Post

Source

We REALLY need to lower out pollution emissions
frown.gif
Use the car as little as possible!
A couple of days of warm weather and you completely lose your mind?
Quote:

I wish it wouldn't be a mean temperature increase but rather an increase in the cold countries most of use live in. A 5 degrees increase here in NL or less wind would make it a lot nicer.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
if we are in fact rolling into a la nina year this will also throw things off compared to how the weather has been recently on a regional basis...not talking full scale climate change stuff.

1 - 20 of 234 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.