1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the...

H50 / H60 / H70 / H80 / H90 / H100 / Mod-Club

Post proudly your pictures and temperature changes of your
modded H50 / H60 / H70 / H80 / H90 / H100 here!

Write a description of what parts are used, how much they did
cost and if you are satisfied with your results?

It may also be of advantage to post some oc-information and
your sys, if you didn´t already got it in your sig.
I will add a member list and update it frequently. You may also
add mods/links from outside and discuss them here, or anything else..

..have fun!

Members:

- smex
- cmeeks
- PCSarge
- extremecliff
- Craiga35
- tlxxxsracer
- Gdfthr248
- alayoubi
- Maxcielle
- Finners
- Scart
- Nikhil Pali
- CH_Skyline
- Digidoc
- Dark
- Launcherstrike
- HolicXII
- RomeoOG
- jdobbs86
- Capwn
- Doglips
- Caleal
- exzited
- taxidoor
- ofp 0651

- to be updated soon

You can add this to your signature

...:::The H50/70 Mod Club:::...

(quote THIS post and just copy the whole line, you will see what i mean when
you quote it )

The signature needs to be updated, need someone to make me a new one

since i did not manage to edit it with the newer site design :(

Warning! If you ever choose to leave this club for better things like a real water cooling, you will be banned, tortured and your rig will be burned! Then you will die! This is a conservative club. We do not believe neither in evolution-theory nor what is prooved thru science! So jump onto our redneckish overclockingpickup and/or face the consequences.

• Rep+
Reactions: digital_steve

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, i will begin then

H50 mod with two rads (1 x 120, 1 x 240) and a "not tiny" res..

I had the bigger rad outside and my temps were better about 4-5°C. Unfortunately it is a little bit uncomfortable so i placed it inside..
my tower is too small(!) for that, i think i will buy a corsair obsidian 800..

outside my core temps were in idle 44/45°C in prime 59/60°C and in linx/ibt 65/66°C with full mem settings. now like i said 4-5°C more, but it is still acceptable. i also lapped cpu and h50 a little bit. tim i am using is mx3. i guess i am at the limit with my configuration. i also tried it with only the 240 rad and the temps were not better. with my next computer i will buy a real wc to get sufficient results.

cheers

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm going to treat this post as my work log - any past and future mods will be updated right here as well as up to date temps.

CURRENT SETUP
- Q9550 @ 3.57GHZ - 1.25v
- GT-AP15 pull (exhaust)
- Shin-Etsu X23 7783D TIM (dot method)
- Lapped h50
- Lapped processor
- Modded tubes

CURRENT TEMPS

Test Method:
- Intel Burn Test
- 3,000MB stress level
- 5 passes

Temps:
- Ambient: 25C
- Max Load: 68C
- Idle: 37C

MODS

Backplate Mod
I didn't like the flimsy plastic back plate that Corsair included with the h50 - it's not even stiff enough to restrain the mobo from flexing. EDIT: Here's a photo of the Xigmatek ACK-I5361 on my new P67A-UD5 motherboard . It's compatible with 775, 1155, 1156, and 1366 and can be installed using all your other h50 hardware.

Tube Mod
I replaced the stock h50 tubes with 1/4" ID clear vinyl tubes from the hardware store. Performance increase was nil. But cost was $3 for tubing + $7 for PT Nuke biocide and it looks good! 1/4" ID tubes fit tight enough that hose clamps are not even necesary.

Lapping Mod
I highly recommend doing this while performing the tube mod - while the rad is unattached. Performance gain was about 2 to 3C. I went through 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecks9T View Post
i don't know if this is the place to to ask what i want to know, but i have a H50 also and want to do something different with it. So if i do mod my H50 do i still need to buy a pump or can i just buy a res + rad + gpu block + mobo block?
The h50 doesn't really provide enough flow for all those components. I would say you could mod the h50 with a dual rad, but that's about the extent of it. So yes, you would need a larger pump - at which point it's no longer an h50, but rather a custom "real" loop.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
Subb'd

So... will the H50 pump handle an extra rad? Will there be much of a benefit?
I've seen multiple cases of it dying with a 240mm rad and no res... Id like to see the h70 though.

·
Registered
556 Posts
So, adding another 120mm rad will cause it to die without a res?
So basically, an extra rad would require a res and extra loop?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOcelot View Post
I've seen multiple cases of it dying with a 240mm rad and no res... Id like to see the h70 though.
Actually, I have yet to hear of a single person killing their h50 running a 240 rad. Can you refer me to any 1st hand posts of such?

Most of the people I've seen mod the h50 either run two 120 rads or a single 240 and the performance improvement usually lands between 5 and 10C.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
Actually, I have yet to hear of a single person killing their h50 running a 240 rad. Can you refer me to any 1st hand posts of such?

Most of the people I've seen mod the h50 either run two 120 rads or a single 240 and the performance improvement usually lands between 5 and 10C.
There was on here on OCN. I'm having trouble finding it. But the pump stopped with the 240mm. He switched it back to the 120mm and it worked fine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkstar2 View Post
well thay are sealed water loops i dnt see the need to rip them a part if you want a bigger loop build one :S
You post this in the H50-mod club???

"Ripping them apart" has been proven to provide good performance gains at MUCH lower cost than what you would apparently consider a "real" loop. Now go on, get out of here!

Geeze - you trolling water snob...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOcelot View Post
There was on here on OCN. I'm having trouble finding it. But the pump stopped with the 240mm. He switched it back to the 120mm and it worked fine.
Ok, consider smex (post #2 in this thread). He was running a 240 in addition to the 120 that comes with the h50 - still worked and still provided significant performance gains. Granted, I'm of the opinion he would see approximately equal performance gains just running a dual rad since the flow through the system would be greater. Regardless, it works for him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:

"Ripping them apart" has been proven to provide good performance gains at MUCH lower cost than what you would apparently consider a "real" loop. Now go on, get out of here!

snobs!! hardly my first kit only 71 pounds not the best i know but it was a learning curve i dnt see how 4 more pounds makes a snob theres the link to show you were i got it

http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/index.ph...-AM2-Kits.html

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

...still don't know how to add a club to my signature
quote the the very first post and copy paste the stuff in ur sig..

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

this..!

This club is for people to show and compare their results and learn more about physics^^
If you read carefully you will find some hints in the creation post about the h50/real oc performance in the smallest font. Theres no neef for a discussion if a h50 mod is better than a real wc..

ok now lets go on

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:

Woah! Chill the HELL out. Hes right, it is a SEALED WATER LOOP. And a weak pump. Im pretty sure its a weak pump to begin with, without doing any modding. Im trying to figure out how to get a 240mm rad in my tiny mATX case, and since i cant figure out a way, thats why im sticking with my stock H50, instead of going full custom.

Remember, corsair will cover it if it leaks, though there has only been a few cases of this happening, as soon as you cut anything, that is out the window.

So instead of calling him a troll right away, think about what he is saying. I hate you kind of people, Because after getting the H50, unless you get it on sale, plus the cost of other components...

H50 Mod: $80 (H50) + $60 (good Rad) + $25-$45 (microres, or even bigger res?) = $165-185
A custom loop can be had for $200, or even cheaper. so for a whole 15 bucks less, you get how much of a improvement? Prove what you said.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post
Woah! Chill the HELL out. Hes right, it is a SEALED WATER LOOP. And a weak pump. Im pretty sure its a weak pump to begin with, without doing any modding. Im trying to figure out how to get a 240mm rad in my tiny mATX case, and since i cant figure out a way, thats why im sticking with my stock H50, instead of going full custom.

Remember, corsair will cover it if it leaks, though there has only been a few cases of this happening, as soon as you cut anything, that is out the window.

So instead of calling him a troll right away, think about what he is saying. I hate you kind of people.
calm down.. kinds of people are made in the human´s sick head. there are better ways to express what you think instead arguing with hate.
the point is.. the h50 is 5h1tty and some people tried to make it better and/or pimped its appearence. thats like you wanted to forbid somebody to change rims on his car or other crappy stuff. if it was sealed, it can be sealed again, so this is not the point.
you can look and compare here http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...pe-watcha.html in my old h50 mod thread.

although i appriciate your interes in this thread.. i got the h50 quite a while modded now. i tried over 15 configurations with it and i came to the conclusion that not the pump is too weak, no .. the problem is that there is not enough copper to establish a sufficient cooling surface on the h50 bead.

with more copper you could get really much better temps even with a not very very fast waterflow..

cheers

edit: btw.. who wants to be added just spell "add me!" and i will do the rest ^^

1 - 20 of 262 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.