Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people call a hotdog a sandwich. They are fools. A "hotdog" is a cylindrical food containing beef, chicken, and/or pork products. When you place a hotdog inside a bun, it cannot be still be considered a hotdog since its form have been severely altered and it cannot exist But let's assume that a hotdog is both the stand-alone meaty cylinder, and also the entire transportation device itself, encased in a bun.

Then what is baloney placed in between two slices of bread called? No one says "I think I'll make myself a baloney."
Does not a slice of baloney placed in between two flour-based bread carriers result in an edible transmission device called a baloney sandwich?

So if a hotdog is colloquially inferred to as a hotdog on a bun and is considered a sandwich, then why wouldn't we just call baloney sandwiches baloney?

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
lol

Those that call a hotdog a sandwich are mistaken.

The hotdog bun is a specialized single-piece carrier rather than generic bread slices or a two-piece bun, so it cannot be called a sandwich.

A hotdog on regular bread could be called a sandwich.

·
Rabies is my business
4,365 Posts
Someone's been in my stash :p

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,540 Posts
What I can't understand is how hotpockets could be considered sandwiches

·
back at it
4,765 Posts
id agree on hot pockets not being sandwiches but a hot dog id call it a sandwich

if we go off your baloney argument, why don't we call a burger a "patty sandwich" as it's basically a patty encased in a bun? id say its something like how people refer to tissues as kleenexes no matter the brand. its just a general way of referring to them and thats fine, i dont think costco/walmart etc would make an ad campaign saying "call it great value tissues instead of kleenex!!!"

all in all though i feel like this is a rabbit hole kinda debate with some agreeing that it is a sandwich and some saying it's not

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subs use a bun that has been sliced open and the halves often are not separated, same as a hot dog bun, yet those subs are still called sandwiches.

All seriousness aside, haven't you guys anything better to agonize over?
Don't you see we have a culinary crisis here? The scales of justice have been tipped. Even judges are ruling that hotdogs are sandwiches now even if the bun has not been separated into to halves. A bavarian creme donut should be called a bavarian creme sandwich since the upper and lower half are divided with Bavarian creme in the middle, and the doughnut itself is basically bread with just a little more sugar in it.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...sburg-rules-that-hot-dogs-are-sandwiches.html

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Don't you see we have a culinary crisis here? The scales of justice have been tipped. Even judges are ruling that hotdogs are sandwiches now even if the bun has not been separated into to halves. A bavarian creme donut should be called a bavarian creme sandwich since the upper and lower half are divided with Bavarian creme in the middle, and the doughnut itself is basically bread with just a little more sugar in it.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...sburg-rules-that-hot-dogs-are-sandwiches.html
:rolleyes: :asleepysm

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A hotdog is a hotdog. A hotdog on a bun is a hotdog. A hotdog sandwich is a hotdog. Can you see a pattern here? You can't judge what one food item is/should be called based on another food item. This is American English. If we didn't deliberately make it difficult everyone could learn it...

·
professional curmudgeon
10,402 Posts
the only thing that makes a hotdog a hotdog is the name hotdog.

bologna is also a
a cylindrical food containing beef, chicken
if anyone didn't know that, then i guess you never walked into a delicatessen - where it's slice for you to make sandwiches.

a bun is nothing else but a loaf of bread sliced once horizontally as opposed to several vertically. and since a hogie/hero is considered a sandwich, that in and of itself is meaningless.

you're welcome.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What about pigs in a blanket on a hamburger bun?

Ps you guys are making hungry. And my idea above is making even more hungry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts