Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a brief listing of the linux-related FAQ's and guides here at Overclock.net, sorted by area of content.

If you have a suggestion for a FAQ to be added, please send me a PM and I'll add it ASAP.

General Linux FAQsPrograms HardwareFixesHow-To's

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I have a bunch you should consider adding.
See below.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
There's been a whole lot of HOWTO's and such that should be added.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
I suggest revamping the gaming guide in linux.

Alot of stuff changed.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus
View Post

I suggest revamping the gmain guide in linux.

Alot of stuff changed.

What?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GodofGrunts
View Post

There's been a whole lot of HOWTO's and such that should be added.

you should let me know then....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caedis
View Post

If you would like your FAQ to be inlcuded here, please drop me a PM and I'll add it ASAP.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus
View Post

I suggest revamping the gaming guide in linux.

Alot of stuff changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodofGrunts
View Post

What?

I second that what.

Additionally, this isn't the place to discuss that thread. Go to that thread so that the people who have subscribed to it have a chance to respond and give input on what should be changed.

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caedis
View Post

I second that what.

Additionally, this isn't the place to discuss that thread. Go to that thread so that the people who have subscribed to it have a chance to respond and give input on what should be changed.

I have.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I'm a little too hammered right now, but I've been thinking about a tutorial of just the basics. I'm pretty new to linux. Some of the stuff we talk about is either frightening or absurd to those who want to switch.

Some of the topics I want to cover:
  1. Picking your distro
  2. Picking your Desktop Environment
  3. Installing packages in *buntu (Software Center, Synaptic, Deb packages, CLI, compiling from source)
  4. Safety features. Explaining Root, when you need it, why it shouldn't be disabled for new people
  5. CLI and why you should love it
  6. Adding repositories
  7. About the Community
Pretty much trying to get people over their fears of switching or at least trying something different.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

I'm a little too hammered right now, but I've been thinking about a tutorial of just the basics. I'm pretty new to linux. Some of the stuff we talk about is either frightening or absurd to those who want to switch.

Some of the topics I want to cover:
  1. Picking your distro
  2. Picking your Desktop Environment
  3. Installing packages in *buntu (Software Center, Synaptic, Deb packages, CLI, compiling from source)
  4. Safety features. Explaining Root, when you need it, why it shouldn't be disabled for new people
  5. CLI and why you should love it
  6. Adding repositories
  7. About the Community
Pretty much trying to get people over their fears of switching or at least trying something different.

I hope you'll come back in the morning after your hangover is gone and talk to us about this. I'd like to know if you want to answer these questions, or have them answered!

One comment I will make AGAIN: Sure you should love the CLI, but try to avoid throwing noobs at it too hard.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Hangovers? Pfft.

No, what I was thinking about is a tutorial on the basics, in plain English for those who might want to switch.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Greetz

It seems to me that the biggest problem(s) for newbs, and that can include Old Tymerz on new-to-them distros, is how to deal with "Getting Stuck" and there are only a few basic kinds

1) Stuck at a boot to console (often, if X fails or Maintenance boot is required)
a) how to find logs and gain information (also see "3")
b) how to repair Xorg
c) how to access the internet and gain help from console (ie *****X, Lynx, etc.) via alternate console pages (which implies how to open additional consoles)
d) how to reboot when "ctrl-alt-del" doesn't work (eg: /sbin/shutdown -r now )

2) Stuck in X Desktop
a) how to restart X (ie: how to restore and when to use "ctrl-alt-backspace)
b) various ways to drop back to console
1) in addition to still being in X, and
2) including killing X

3) How to close programs with specialized commands including
a) man pages
b) vi(m) , nano, and other common text editors
c) miscellaneous programs that require Q, Esc, or Ctrl-C (which reminds me of a whole other FAQ of keyboard options like copy 'n paste w/ Ctrl -C and Ctrl-V)

What do you think?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts