Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
This is a continuation of a previous post that I had made regarding my problems burning DVD video. Well, now I'm once again stumped and would like some help.
The problem:
I go to burn video using DVD shrink because it auto compresses the DVD's to a size where I can re burn them onto DVD-R disks. I tried DVD Decrypter but the files always turned out uncompressed and were too big to burn. Anyways, once I used DVD shrink I would burn the files and everything would seem to work hunky dory. But, every single DVD I have burned (totaling 8 different ones) I have encountered the same problem. The movie plays perfectly for the first half to 2/3rds of the way through. Then it starts skipping and eventually crashes, both on my computer and on the DVD player hooked to the TV. The thing is the original plays good, and the copied files play good on my comp, but once they are burned it craps up. And it never skips in the same place. On one burned copy it would skip at a certain scene, on another copy of the same disk it would skip somewhere else?? Is it my DVD burner or the no name brand DVD-R's I'm using? Or is there some other software that would help me eliminate this problem? I hope it's not my DVD burner cause i burnt these DVD's but didn't watch them all the way through and I figured it worked so I painted the faceplate of the burner and I don't think I can get it RMA'd now.
Thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
this probably isnt much help but my friend had the same problem with his burner. they locked up the dvd player and wmp. burnt on datawrite red 8x. what type were yours burnt on?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean what type of disks? cause I have no idea, cheapies, i just know that they were DVD-R's. And I burnt using both DVD Decrypter and Nero Xpress and neither worked.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3

this probably isnt much help but my friend had the same problem with his burner. they locked up the dvd player and wmp. burnt on datawrite red 8x. what type were yours burnt on?

I've got those same DVD's, and even tho they are rated at 8x, they will just about write at 4x (if im lucky).

However, i bought some really expensive dvd's the other day, and they burn a treat.

I've also found that making DVDShrink rip the dvd to an ISO, and then using Nero to burn the ISO a better way of doing things.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

I've got those same DVD's, and even tho they are rated at 8x, they will just about write at 4x (if im lucky).

However, i bought some really expensive dvd's the other day, and they burn a treat.

I've also found that making DVDShrink rip the dvd to an ISO, and then using Nero to burn the ISO a better way of doing things.

I've tried that too, still no luck. I'll have to get some other DVD's and try them and maybe I'll get lucky. *sigh* Frustrating Ridiculous Expensive DeviceS (F.R.E.D.S, the company I work for lol)

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

I've tried that too, still no luck. I'll have to get some other DVD's and try them and maybe I'll get lucky. *sigh* Frustrating Ridiculous Expensive DeviceS (F.R.E.D.S, the company I work for lol)

I've seen lots of people with DVD writing problems. Most sites suggest buying 1 of all of the dvd-r's you can get your hands on and then testing them all and sticking with that brand.

Apparently certain DVD writers like certain types of dye used in DVD-R's and not others....

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
might be the burner, have u tried different media yet? i seem to have the best of luck burning while my friend has the worst lol. he had the same symptoms you described above so he exchanged the burner and his problem was solved. later he started getting a lotta coasters outta the same spindle so he figured it was a bad batch of dvdr's so once he got a new spindle again his problem was solved.

my advice is (if it's not too late) exchange your burner. another thing, i never burn higher than 4x even if the disks are rated at 8x... believe me it took just as long. the encoding process with dvd shrink is was takes long. hopefully you just got a bad batch of media and it'll be better once you get another spindle. if your burner is old you could always try spraying it out w/ air, maybe there's dust in there affecting your burns. my

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. It might be the media, I'm gonna check that next. It's brand new burner, got it for christmas, but I don't think they will let me xchange it cause I painted the face. it seems to burn alright otherwise for eveything else, just that last third of movies never works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts