Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DSCF0363.jpg

To dye, or not to dye, that is the question.

Luckily there are many options for us today to get that, "custom look". From colored tubing, to uv reactive tubing. From dyes, to uv reactive dyes, to milk like substances. Personally I've always preferred the minimalist look of black tubing but decided to try out "pretty" water cooling for a change. Having experimented lightly with Feser One I was really turned off at the whole dye idea. After only one week of using Feser One I had muck in my water block, here is the link.

Not too long after the Feser disaster I found Mayhems Dye. A Pure Dye without any of the additives that clog up your loop. So I decided to put this to the test. I've been running 20 drops of Mayhems Red + a couple drops of PT-Nuke Biocide for the past month with no buildup or gummy mess what-so-ever. Nothing in the CPU block and nothing in the GPU Block. 30 days later its still clean and red like the very first day. I am very impressed with this dye so far, to say the least.
DSCF0339.jpg

Mick from Mayhems Dye was kind enough to send me a few samples to test. Deep Blue, Deep Purple, Red, UV Pink, UV Yellow Green, and UV Clear Blue. I could sit here and try to describe these dyes but I thought it better to make a few short videos for your enjoyment. 20 drops of each dye in 1.5 liters of water.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emjg3mWy1Lo[/ame]

And a few more fun videos
wink.gif

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UFTRTjy4gQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnbGnD3krxg[/ame]

All in all, it really comes down to preference. Colored tube or dye, its your choice. After my personal experience, I have nothing but good things to say about Mayhems Dye. A great product from a highly dependable and very reachable vendor. Honestly, it doesn't get any better than that.
thumb.gif

OCM
cool.gif

·
1689 Federalist
11,745 Posts
I heard this stuff is great. IMO dye looks the best. Might have to try it out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would really like to try out the Deep Blue. FrozenCPU only seem to have pink and yellow in stock. Performance-PCs has a Mayhems Dye section but nothing listed. Are there any other US retailers who sell Mayhems Dyes? Or do I have to buy directly from Mayhems Dye website?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimr2;15046604
I would really like to try out the Deep Blue. FrozenCPU only seem to have pink and yellow in stock. Performance-PCs has a Mayhems Dye section but nothing listed. Are there any other US retailers who sell Mayhems Dyes? Or do I have to buy directly from Mayhems Dye website?
i'd like to know this myself. also, i saw a youtube video of the white-wash dye (part # HBN-70), yet i don't see it on Mayhems website...bummer. been looking for GOOD white dye for a while now...no, i don't want white tubing.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorsci;15046646
The red looks very orange to me. Good review, the videos were a nice touch.

Please keep updated with the dyes over time, I'd like to hear back in 6 months and a year.
Yea, I wouldnt mind using dye in my first loop, but I dont want to gunk up my stuff:(

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing;15046765
Yea, I wouldnt mind using dye in my first loop, but I dont want to gunk up my stuff:(
Yes, I have similar concerns. I like my black tubing fine, but for my next build I'd love to go UV. UV tubing is fine, but I much prefer the fluid itself to be colored.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
+Rep thanks for the videos

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGF Derp;15045733
Very nice video
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudCR;15045774
Really nice videos and story I might get Red dye and plexy blocks for my next build
smile.gif
+REP since you took the time for doing this. BTW what's the name of the song in the blue video?
Da Ba Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehorse55;15045839
I've actually heard good things about mayhems dye. If it can continue to hold up over the next year or so I might actually think about using it in a build!
wink.gif

I've always thought dyes were possible as stuff like food coloring will never clog (although the colors suck!).
So far so good
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout;15045947
I heard this stuff is great. IMO dye looks the best. Might have to try it out.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segovax;15045991
I'll be convinced over very long periods of time.
I'm in the testing process. Stand by for long term results....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenesis;15046349
Damn, the UV Clear Blue looks sick. Makes me actually want to use dyes...now to find a turbulent reservoir...
No need for a turbulent res. Just drop it in your loop and watch the magic happen
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkylad;15046059
Switching from Dye bombs to Mayhems, both with the pink and orange dye bomb it is orange in my reservoir and pink in the tubes. Can't wait for the Aurora galaxy dye
biggrin.gif
I'll be making some Aurora vids soon so stand by....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorsci;15046646
The red looks very orange to me. Good review, the videos were a nice touch.
Please keep updated with the dyes over time, I'd like to hear back in 6 months and a year.
The red looks orange at first but my camera was not able to capture the real depthness of the red. You'd have to see it for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKomputing;15046765
No gunk with this dye so far. Can't same for other vendors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMunky;15047001
+Rep thanks for the videos
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikicoco1334;15047069
Very nice mini review brother, loving the video n'd music it's very specific and great example!

gonna give it a try when i get some down time on hand

keep it up!
Thanks Tu. I do my best, always.

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,344 Posts
I've been itching to get back to dyes but after my last venture with primochill dye bombs left me quite taken aback. I'm hoping you have no long term build up and I might switch to clear tubing and an acid/uv green for my loop to give it some much needed color.

·
Premium Member
9,788 Posts
1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.