Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to my first ever build log!

Ever since I joined this forum in April its inspired me to get back into computers and start building again. I started with a very simple build and its been evolving ever since! This as been a huge learning experiance and taken lots of trial and error before I really found the parts that I like. Thanks to this forum and its wealth of knowledge, if it wasnt for you this build wouldnt of happened.

Don't hesitate to comment!
thumb.gif

THIS THREAD IS UNDER CONSTUCTION, SORRY IF IT IS OUT OF ORDER OR CONFUSING

BENCHMARKS (Constantly updated) ON POST 3

UPDATE! PICS ON POST 10

UPDATE! PICS AND FAN REVIEW POST 27

UPDATE! CASE! NZXT PHANTOM POST 36

UPDATE! H80 AND 7950! POST 41

UPDATE! H100, 3570K AND NEW RAM! POST 58

UPDATE! New Parts Ordered! POST 60

UPDATE! LED'S and CABLES POST 65

UPDATE! CUSTOM WATERLOOP IS IN! POST 80

UPDATE! MOAR NEW PARTS! RAID 5 and NEW MOBO!!! POST 86 & 87

UPDATE! Fluid Change! POST 95

Current Parts list

Mobo- Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH

CPU- i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz 1.32v

CPU Cooler- Raystorm Block, EX360 Rad and Dual Bay Res with D5 Vario

Cooler Liquid- Mayhems Ocean Blue w/ Dead water and Kill coil

Ram- Patriot Viper Xtreme 2x4gb @ 2133mhz

GPU- Gigabyte Windforce 7950 1250/1950/1.3v

PSU- Silverstone Strider Plus 750W

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 (Raid 1)

SSD- 128gb Samsung 830 x2 (Raid 0)

Case- NZXT Phantom White

I know some of these parts arnt in these pictures and I promise I will be updating the photos as I can. But from looking at the pics you can see I've gone through multiple PSU's, Graphics Cards, Cases, HDDs, and Ram. So if I was to make a list of all of the parts from all the evolution's of this build it would be too long.

So Enough with the talk, here's the pictures!!

The Original Case and Setup aka where it all started

The Current setup!

Exterior

Interior

All pretty and lit up, I'm very proud.

*BEING UPDATED*

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Nice build. Get anything except the MK-1, that case doesn't look as good as the pictures in real life so you're better off with the other options. The Z9 isn't half bad tho.

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the Z9 isnt too bad, I just want more space to play around with now. Also a little better cable management, usb 3.0 and better cooling.

On another note. My benchmarks are in

My Old 6950
3DMark11 Got a P5702 unlocked shaders, 860/1310 Stock Voltage

3DMark11 Got a P7228 WITH Virtu MVP enabled.

The New 7950
3DMark11 Got a P10925 and a 11791 Graphics Score @ 1250/1950 and 1300mV (Driver 12.11 Beta)

PCMARK 7 - 6003

Cinebench CPU R11.5 - 7.41pts / CPU @ 4.5ghz

Cinebench OpenGL - 93.46pts / GPU @ 1250/1900 1300mV

Heaven v3.0 Basic - 54.5fps/1372 Score GPU @ 1250/1900 1300mV

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would LOVE a NZXT case but sadly I cant find any here in Japan, and I don't feel like having it sent here for fear of it being damaged inroute. I'll just have to wait until I get back to the states for that. The cases I listed are cases I can get locally for sure. But if I had it my way, I would have a switch 810. I love that case.

As far as my components go. I plan on switching my ram very soon, then my monitor is my next upgrade followed by the case....maybe viceversa.

EDIT: I found a NZXT Phantom!!!

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meh...kinda upset. I cant get it stable at 4.5GHz for the life of me. Will post benchmarks if I can get stable

Edit: Found out I couldnt get stable because my HDD is failing, reinstalled windows onto my SSD and im now stable at 1.320 Vcore 4.5Ghz

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update! Some new parts thrown on my build it consists of the following!

-Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb ram 1600mhz
-Antec Khuler 620 with custom dual fan setup. (max temp at 4.7ghz is 72C) Edit: Sold and replaced with a H80
-New Seagate Barracuda 1TB single platter HDD
-3 Gelid silent fans added to the case.

P5161136.jpg

Nuff talk, MOAR PICS!

Here you can see two of the Gelids I added to the side panel, the last is bottom mounted next to the PSU.

P5161139.jpg

Here's a few shots of the inside, you can see just how small a 1tb platter hard drive is compared to an older 3.5in drive! My antec 620 is pulling ambient air in and I have a top mounted 120mm fan exhausting the air. All other fans are intakes.

P5161141.jpg

P5161142.jpg

P5161144-1.jpg

I will be re updating my benches soon! If all is stable I'll clean the interior a little bit more and call it a day!

As always please comment!

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for the second time ever, intel Smart Response has corrupted my OS the point that it wont boot. So instead of doing the benchmarking like I promised, i was stuck reinstalling W7 last night. So when i'm home from work today I'll finish driver installs and benchmarking will be done!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice build, I gatta say you really utilized your 2550, I have a feeling it cost about the same as my first build but... the difference is you CPU is OC'd at 4+ where as mine is just sock 3.3
Why the 1gb HD 6950, I got a Saphhier HD 6950 2gb new for $200 yesterday :/

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's no real big difference between the 1 and 2 gb versions. But I was lucky enough to get one that was able to unlock to 6970
biggrin.gif

btw, START OC'ING THAT IVY!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0303 View Post

There's no real big difference between the 1 and 2 gb versions. But I was lucky enough to get one that was able to unlock to 6970
biggrin.gif

btw, START OC'ING THAT IVY!!
Sure there is, 2gb is more memory than 1gb :3 pretty obvious choice there

and yea I might OC my Ivy from 3.3 to 3.7 3.8

My Mobo and the i5 3550 aren't really optimal for OC'n so if I do oc them cpu it'll be only a little just to say that I did it

·
Still a GPU Aficionado
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Sure there is, 2gb is more memory than 1gb :3 pretty obvious choice there
and yea I might OC my Ivy from 3.3 to 3.7 3.8
My Mobo and the i5 3550 aren't really optimal for OC'n so if I do oc them cpu it'll be only a little just to say that I did it
Maybe if your running multi monitors. But for single monitor use, the 1 and 2gb benchmark almost the same.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:

Looking at your current setup, you should be able to hit 4.0 with ease. Is your prosessor unlocked?
No I don't think so, the i5 3570 is the unlocked one
Quote:

Maybe if your running multi monitors. But for single monitor use, the 1 and 2gb benchmark almost the same.
I will be running dual monitors. I've got a crappy one I'll use for doing Reasearch [MID GAME] and another for actually playing my game... <.< playing NFSU2 on a signle monitor constantly Alt-Tabing is a real pain... hence is why I'll keep my old crummy one for doing web browseing and stuffs

1 - 20 of 117 Posts