Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 1864 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many 8800GT threads out there. I wish we can have one central thread so all members are able to share their information and discuss the issues.

For all 8800GT owners, if you would like to share your information, (which I encourage you to do), please provide your information. I will list you in the 8800GT owners list. Please see the 8800GT Owners list section for details.

8800GT Information Thread Signature tag

Code:

Code:
[CODE]
[center][url="http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/252805-official-8800gt-information-discussion-thread.html"]:bruce:[b]8800GT Information Thread[/b][/url][/center]
[/CODE]

To add this to your signature, go to User CP, edit signature, copy the code above, paste there and save.

8800GT Information Thread

Table of Contents

• Latest 8800GT Information And Discussion
  • 8800GT Owners List
  • 8800GT Reference Specs
  • Retail 8800GT Specs, Manufacturers List And Latest Price Information
  • 8800GT Pictures Gallery
  • Reference Benchmark
  • 8800GT Review links.
  • Links That Member Recommended.
  • Face Off - 8800GT vs. HD3850/3870(R670)
  • 8800GT Latest Drivers
  • 8800GT Power consumption and Power Supply Unit
  • 8800GT Temperature and Cooling
  • Latest 8800GT Voltages Guide and Discussion
Latest 8800GT Information And Discussion

8800GT Owner List

Below is a list of some of the current 8800GT owners. If you would like to share the your information, please provide the following information: Owner Name, Manufacturer Name, Model #, Memory Size, Core Clock (stock/OC), Shader Clock (stock/OC), Memory Clock (stock/OC), SLI, GPU HS, GPU Idle Temperature, GPU Load Temp, Processor, CPU Speed, System Memory, Motherboard, 3DMark06 score and OS (operation system).

Please feel free to contact me to change your information.

Detail GPU Temperature Information

Reference Specs

As we all know the 8800GT is much faster than 8800GTS and capable of competing with the 8800GTX in some areas. With a price range from $250-$300, the 8800GT seems like a no-brainer. But I have a hard time understanding how the 8800GT can outperform the 8800GTS. The following chart shows the specs of GT, GTS and GTX reference cards.

Retail 8800GT Specs, Manufacturers List And Latest Price Information

Here is a list of the current 8800GT cards that are available as of today. This list will be updated as more information is released. The default core clock is set at 600 MHz, shader clock at 1500 MHz and memory clock at 900MHz. (Data that is not specified by the manufacturer with be denoted with an * (asterisk).

Note: Evga Model Number Information (A1/A3/AR..)

Latest Online Retailers and 8800GT Price Information

US 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks Linskingsom.

US 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks Bal3Wolf.

Robilar's Canada 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks Robilar.

mega_option101's Canada 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks mega_option101.

Outcasst's UK 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks Outcasst.

topdog's UK 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information.Thanks topdog.

DeaDLocK's UK 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information (lowest). Thanks DeaDLocK.

Malachor's UK 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks Malachor.

Sin316's Switzerland 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks Sin316.

moins's Austria 8800GT Retail Cards Price Information. Thanks moins.

The Duke's Online Retailers Information. Thanks The Duke.

8800GT Pictures Gallery

Featured 8800GT Cards
  • Albatron 8800GT 512MB
  • ASUS EN8800GT/512M GeForce 8800GT 512MB
  • BFG Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • Biostar V88003GT52 512MB
  • Chaintech GSE88GT 512MB
  • Club3D Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • ECS Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT 512MB
  • Forsa Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • FOXCONN GeForce 8800GT 512MB
  • Gainward Bliss Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • GIGABYTE Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • INNO3D Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • LEADTEC WinFast GeForce 8800GT 512MB
  • MSI Shader OC 1650MHz MSI NX8800GT 512MB
  • NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • PNY XLR8 Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • POV Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • SPARKLE Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • TwinTech Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB
  • Zogis Geforce 8800GT 512MB
  • Zotac Geforce 8800GT 512MB

It takes long time to download the card images so I move them to another post under this main thread. Please click the link to review the larger size image of each individual card.

Click Here For The Larger Size of 8800GT Images

Reference Benchmark

There are so many reviews on 8800GT benchmark. The following benchmark charts are from anandtech.com. It gives a clear overview of the 8800GT, new 8800 GTS, and GTX along with HD3850 and HD3870 performance. Click the link below to view the full chart.

256MB and 512MB 8800GT GeForce Card Review and Benchmark

Quote:
Source from anandtech.com

8800GT Review Links

Here are some recent reviews on the GeForce reference card as well as retail cards.

Links That Member Recommended

All members who have submitted information in these sections have put forth a lot of effort, so please REP them if the information has been helpful or has solved your issues. Please click the link and locate the article inside the original member's post. Thank you.

From Anth0789

From coltsrock
From DJ.BigBear

From Lt.JD
From Robilar
From sepheroth003
From Swtethan
From TnB= Gir
From TheSubtleKnife

From Zulli85

Face Off - 8800GT vs. HD3850/3870(R670)

The HD3850 and HD3870 are out but the results are quite surprise me. I thought the HD3870 should be better than 8800GT as they planned. Despite 8800GT is lacking on image quality in some areas and price is higher, I would go for 8800GT for now. I think 8800GT price will be reduced in order to stay competitive. Here is most recent review from vr-zone.com. For full details, please visit vr-zone.com

Quote:
Source:vr-zone.com

Latest 8800GT Drivers

8800GT Power consumption and Power Supply Unit

GeForce8800GT reference card claims the TDP is 110 W. That is well below 148 W for 8800 GTS and 178 W for GTX. It seems that the number is correct based on reviews we have seen so far. For A rig with air cooling, one processor, 2 or 4 sticks of ram, single GeForce 8800 GT, single hard drive and CD/DVD and few case fans. I think your PSU (power supply unit) must have 450 Watt at minimum and at least 26 Amps available on the 12 volts rails in total. For 8800GT SLI, your PSU must have 500 Watt at minimum and at least 36 Amps available on the 12 volts rails in total. For more PSU information, please read davidhammock200's power supply guide.

In most cases, the minimum wattage won't cover your system entirely if you want to OC your processor, system memory and video card, have additional components such as CD/DVD-ROM Burners, hard drives and case fans especially when you are planning on upgrading cooling method such as water cooling etc. Inefficient power can lead to crashing applications, freeze screen, reset or shut down your system. You need to estimate how much power you system really needs and determine whether or not you need a new PSU. These are many ways to estimate wattage. The best way is to provide your system specs as detail as possible, make up your budget and ask members for advice. If you would like to do yourself, the PSU calculator from extreme.outervision.com to get job done for you. The Lite version is free but it is only enable to calculate total wattage. Total wattage isn't the entire story. The total amperage available on the +12V rails is the key role, then +5V amperage and the +3.3V amperage. The professional version calculator calculates the wattage as well as amperage. It costs $1.99 for one-time usage. Before you decide to do your own, please list all components in your rig. If you are planning on adding additional components such as hard drive or case fan etc in near future, add them in the list as well. Next, you go to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp and use eXtreme Power Supply Calculator. Follow the instructions to fill the data in your list. The whole idea is to figure out the maximum but not the minimum wattage and amperage so use high-end as possible in the Motherboard field, set the CPU Utilization (TDP) to 85% and the System load to 90%, Capacitor Aging to 20% at least. If your cooling method is other than air cooling and can't find the option in the selection, you go for the equivalent model or contact vendors to obtain correct wattage and amperage, then add them back to the total wattage and amperage after the calculation. Once you have total wattage and amperage, the next step is to pick a PSU. Total wattage needs to be considered but the efficiency, amperage on rails and less fluctuation on current are key factors. This is where separates the good and bad PSU. PeDrO305's FAQ: Recommended Power Supplies is an excellent place for you to pick a good PSU at various price ranges. Here is a list of PSU for 8800GT.

8800GT Temperature and Cooling

8800GT is a 65nm/G92 video card so we thought it should be cooler than those 90nm/G80 cards. However, we are getting mixed pictures as more 8800GT roll out. In the past few days, many members report that the idle temperature is 60s and load temperature is high 80s with stock HS. That is hot. We don't know cause this. It can be its single slot design. Single slot design trades off space with heat/noise. This means not enough vents to blow the hot air out at back of the case. As the more heat generated, fan speed will eventually runs a full speed and noise will increase. The stock HS isn't just only cooling GPU but also the memory and other board-level components. If the idle temperature is at high 60s and load temperature is at high 80s, you need to invest third-party cooling solutions. At this early stage, no many cooler are available for 8800GT. Thermalright's HR 03GT and Thermaltake DuOrb CL-G0102 are the coolers designed for 8800GT. It should be in market soon. Another good news is the mounting holes of 8800GT are similar as the 7900GT/GTX so you may try to use Zalman VF700/900. Some members also tried to use Zalman VF1000 LED and Accelero S1 Fanless. For water-cooling, Vadim's universal GPU block produces the 8800GT module and Koolance's VID-278 block.

Monitoring temperature becomes a critical task. Most of GPU tools have real-time temperature display. The problem is that you can't seat in front of your computer all time. Some sort of automatic monitoring temperature is needed. Here is a simple one.
  • Open Everest.
  • Go to File\\preferences\\Hardware monitoring\\Logging
  • Check the 'Log sensor readings to CSV log file.
  • Check the 'Temperatures' and 'GPU' in the listbox.
  • Go to File\\preferences\\ Hardware monitoring \\Update Frequency.
  • Set the seconds for log file.
  • Let the program open.
  • Run your games or benchmark.
  • Open the temp log file on c:\\
  • You should see something like this.
8800GT Latest Temperature And Cooling Links
CyberDruid: Iandh 8800GT-VRM Heatsinks Now Available
HR-03GT is available at coolerguys.com, heatsinkfactory.com and jab-tech.com. Thanks kpo6969, Bal3Wof and TheLegend.
iandh: 8800GT Block Design Discussion Thread
marcus000:
Aqua Computer Block(G92) 8800GT
Vadim's universal GPU block gets 8800GT module
Mattngsx: 8800GT with Accelero S1 Fanless
bluedevil: Arctic Cooling Launches Accelero S1 Rev. 2.
Thermalright HR_03GT
ZALMAN VF1000 LED
ZALMAN VF900 - CU
Thermaltake DuOrb CL-G0102
Koolance VID-278 Block ** Retails Information **
Sistum Id: EK 8800 GT Full Waterblocks

Latest 8800GT Voltages Guide and Discussion

MVKTech has a detail guide on how to do the Volts mod (Robilar provides this information. Thanks for Robliar's effort). Please be advised that Volts mod can damage your video card permanently.

Latest Volt Mod Discussion
Some members do volts mod on their 8800GT. You can post your question in this thread or contact post starter directly when you in that post.

Official as of Nov 4, 2007
noice

·
Registered
293 Posts
I really like what you have done with this thread. Very informative for anyone who managed to wade their way over here to it.

Edit: Owner name, Manufacture Name, Model #, Memory Size, Core Clock (stock/OC) ,Shader Clock (stock/OC),Memory Clock (stock/OC), SLI,GPU HS,GPU Idel Temperature,GPU Load Temp, Processor, CPU Speed, System Memory,Motherboard and 3Dmark06 score. Please feel free to let me know if you want to change your information.

Jgassen Evga 8800 GT SC, 512, 650/715, 1625/1750, 950/1025, N, 57, 73, e6300, 3.15, 1gig x 2 G skill 5-5-5-15, Biostar 965pt, 12521 with 169.02 drivers I can edit in a link to futuremark later.

• Rep+
Reactions: linskingdom

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbull1985 View Post
Its just a couple more days until we know how the card performs IRL...
You mean tomorrow you can already buy one off of ZZF:http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10007125 I wouldn't pull the trigger probaly the lowest clocked one and we might see some lower prices tomorrow ClubIT had one for 230 but that disappeared.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by john55576 View Post
so how much does memory bandwidth have to do with performance?
yeah same question here. theonly thing that want me to get the 8800gts 640 is the 320bit mem interface. is there a huge difference in performance with a 256bit interface. ??
any gpu surgeon/doctor care to explain. cause with 8800gts 640 u get 640mb mem, 320bit interface and just 16 sp less. ar 16 sp enough to cause such serious performance gains/loss

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly12 View Post
yeah same question here. theonly thing that want me to get the 8800gts 640 is the 320bit mem interface. is there a huge difference in performance with a 256bit interface. ??
any gpu surgeon/doctor care to explain. cause with 8800gts 640 u get 640mb mem, 320bit interface and just 16 sp less. ar 16 sp enough to cause such serious performance gains/loss
Its not just the mem bit interface and sp, remember the gt has a higher shader frequency ontop of the more sp's, as well it might have a smaller memory interface but its clocked a bit higher to slightly make up for it, it also has a different core than the gts which is probably more efficient / more performance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Under the hood of the chip is a 65Nanometer GPU with 128 stream processors, however, 16 of them are disabled to allow NVIDIA and its add-in board partners a much higher yield of chips and also helps to keep the prices at bay.
Anyone wondering what I'm wondering?

·
Registered
714 Posts
i have sli 8800gts 640's overclocked to 620-965
i hope the GT doesnt perform better than my cards.
i spent like $800 for both. Thats Bull shiz
im under step up 2 i wonder if i could swap cards

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Laser Cut on the die not possible ex:7900GS

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
Its not just the mem bit interface and sp, remember the gt has a higher shader frequency ontop of the more sp's, as well it might have a smaller memory interface but its clocked a bit higher to slightly make up for it, it also has a different core than the gts which is probably more efficient / more performance.

thanks man
rep +

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean View Post
woo lets hope we can unlock them!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts